42 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,545 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

The seventh annual Retro Reunion Revival Race at Tom Thumb  Hobbies in Columbus, OH, which almost everyone in the Retro world calls "The R4" or "The R4/7", was referred to by a racer at the event as Retro's Daytona 500. And while the comparison might not be totally fair to The Sano in Chicago, which was in fact the first big race for what is now known as Retro racing, the sobriquet does pay homage to the R4's status as the first Premier IRRA™ Retro race each year as well as to the cachet of it being held on an original American Model Raceway King track still located in its original raceway.

However one wishes to label the R4, it is a big race. Regulars opined that the crowd on Wednesday was larger than had been the case on that day of the week for any previous R4 and by mid-afternoon today (Thursday), the comfortable pit spaces had largely evaporated and the shoehorning had begun.

Due to bandwidth constraints, I'll be posting to this thread sporadically, as I have to do it from the hotel as opposed to the raceway. Today I'll start with a number of candid shots taken yesterday and today, with captions as needed and/or remembered.

The race results will be posted in near real time at this LINK, although I plan to try to take snap shots of the lap counter to post here as well.

Here's the first batch of pics from the 2014 R4/7, showing people, pit spaces and boxes, and items of interest, in no particular order...

attee.pit.jpg

MI's Rich Attee's pit set-up isn't the largest at he R4, but it sure isn't the smallest either. The boxes' patina testifies to Rich being a very experienced racer, as did his quiet non-obscene curse when I saw him get ridered into the wall rather firmly during practice this afternoon!

bennardo.1.jpg

R-Geo's Rick Bennardo "experienced" slot box liberally paneled with race plaques going back 25 years and more. Lots of podium cars have traveled back to PA in this box over the years...

boogie.jpg

The "Garage Mahal" pit of Boogie Speedway owner Jerry "The Boogie Man" Wyant from MI. These boxes are probably unique, as they are "sliced" in half at an angle, forming two side-by-side pyramids once opened for business.

bruce.pit.jpg

This pit might not look like the home of one of Retro's winningest drivers, but that's indeed the case. Matt Bruce is also one of the nicest guys in our sport. Seemingly he doesn't want to worry about having enough gears on hand when he travels...

ebert.rick.jpg

Not sure what PA's Dan Ebert is showing Rich Bennardo, but I think Rick came uncomfortably close to soldering his finger to the chassis, instead of the motor.

g.fox.jpg

OH's Greg Fox's super-neat pit suggests he came ready to race, with no thrashing needed.

henry.pit.jpg

TeamCHR's Cap Henry's pit indicates he came to the R4 well-prepared as usual. Lots of cars and stuff packed very efficiently into his well-divided boxes.

jc.pit.jpg

TN's John "J.C." Martin is making his first visit to the R4 this year and as a multiple USRA National Champ, he's not likely to end up in the K Main. He might find Retro a bit more competitive than USRA 4-1/2 Stock Cars though... LOL!

koepp.1.jpg

Here's Parma's Steve Koepp's well-organized pit. Steve been racing slots so long that he's always a threat in Retro and just about anywhere else he chooses to race.

koepp.2.jpg

Thursday at 3 PM Steve gave another one of his terrific Lexan body painting seminars for the R4 attendees. Even painter extraordinaire Joe "Noose" Neumeister attends so he can pick up tips from Steve at these demos. Here's Steve setting up the seminar table with all of his painting equipment and supplies.

panel.1.jpg

Some action at the drivers panel during open practice on Wednesday. L to R: Matt Bruce, J.C. Martin, Cap Henry, Chris Radisich, Dan Ebert, Rick Davis. Waling behind the drivers is Greg Krumnow.

panel.2.jpg

Another panel shot. L to R, Rick Bennardo, Matt Bruce, Jay Guard, Cap Henry, Steve Koepp, Chris radisich, Ricky Bennardo, J.C. Martin, and Rick Davis, who doesn't look very pleased with how his sled is running...

plaques.jpg

The pile o' plaques to be awarded during the event, featuring a replica of the Mike Patterson-designed race poster affixed to marble-toned Corian, or something similar.

radisich.1.jpg

New Zealand's Chris Radisich (yeah, he talks a little funny... LOL!) thrashing away. Note the big jar of raspberry Twizzlers which always seems to be present in the R-Geo pit area. Could this be their speed secret?

tires.jpg

Not sure whose tire warehouses this are, but he came well stocked. Each box is two-sided, i.e. they look just the same on the back side not seen!

vince.jpg

OH's Vince Del Viscio's unique pit, featuring a cut-down shelving unit holding tools, lights etc. Vince came prepared to work on his stuff with everything needed readily at hand.

watson.jpg

IN's quiet and focused Terry Watson had a small table to himself for his pit alongside the King track's bank. No worries abut getting elbowed by a thrashing neighbor with this scenario.

appelle.1.jpg

appelle.2.jpg

Bob Appelle's very creative self-made pit box. Removeable hinge clips allow the box's front "doors" to be removed and then they are attached open side out to the box's sides using Nylon thumb screws. Similar screws attached the 30 amp Bulldog power supply (normally used to power home race tracks) to the back of the box and the unit is used to power all of the needed truers, irons, etc. Note also the legs Bob screws into T-nuts inserted into the bottom panel of his box to elevate it and free up the space beneath the pit box for other uses. Lots of thought went into this arrangement.

• Pappy, Big Durl, Dave Reed and 1 other like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Jersey John

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for posting, Greg...

John Chas Molnar

"Certified Newark Wise Guy since 1984" (retired)
"Certified Tony P Chassis God 2007.2023
" Owner / Sponsor, TEAM JERSEY-TEAM AUSTRALIA 

Jerseyjohnchassis.com

Logo copy.jpg

#3 86ed once again

86ed once again

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

Now that's a power supply... LOL!

James Grinstead
Five-time USRA Champion
TEAM KOFORD

#4 Bernie

Bernie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

Great shots, Greg. Looks like Terry Watson was smart enough to grab that table all by himself.  ^_^

Bernie Schatz

#5 stemmy

stemmy

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Partial Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

Thanks, Greg. Those are some beautiful boxes.

Blair Stem

#6 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

Ah slot cars... You got to love them. I like the box on stilts. Nice to study how everybody sets up their pit space.

I started reading this post and thought wait a minute this is much too articulate for a slot car racer until I read the byline. LOL.

Dennis David

#7 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

Great pictures, thanks for taking and posting them, Greg.  :good: :)

Real varied bunch of pit boxes and set-ups! Some chaotic and yet some all neat and tidy!

All with that beautiful original King track in the background.  :D :heart:

#8 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,545 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

Dennis,

All that thesaurus reading I do helps, you know... LOL! It's how I stay sane while Jay Guard watches puerile cartoons (i.e. Family Guy) and poorly-written TV shows in the hotel room late at night...

Thanks for the comments posted while I was adding the captions. Hope they add, rather than subtract, to your enjoyment. It's just easier to post the pics first and then go back and add the captions while looking at the pics in order in a second window on the side of the screen.

Headed back to the raceway now to take some more pics and (as usual) to make a few more pairs of ears bleed by talking so much...

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#9 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

Bose speaker, all that's missing is CCTV to keep an eye on the competition! Some of those plaques look pretty deep, is that for the car's ashes or the owner?

Dennis David

#10 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

Great shots, Greg. :good:

See... the FAST guys practice with their hand in their pocket.  :clapping:  :blush:  :sarcastic_hand:  

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#11 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 7,756 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

Great pit area shots and commentary, thanks!
That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.

#12 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:46 PM

There is a lot to be learned from all the detailed "in pit" shots!
  • MG Brown likes this
Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#13 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,175 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:20 PM

No, the fast guys stand on stools.

Watch out for Ryan Bruce this weekend. The kid is turning low 4.7s on black lane, for god's sake.
  • Blondie likes this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#14 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:25 PM

When he starts sitting on a lounge chair it's all over. LOL.

Dennis David

#15 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

Thanks so much for the photos and captions, Greg. They are much appreciated here at Team BOZO World Headquarters.

I am not a doctor, but I played one as a child with the girl next door.

#16 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

What, no room for a subwoofer in Bob's pit?

Mill Conroy

AKA : TWO LAP CONROY, Anointed Trigger Monkey by Mike Swiss

Deal me life's toughest cards, without chance for hope nor fame, just let me play this one last hand, and I'll win this whole damn game.

Second Most Interesting Man in the World.

#17 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,545 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

Wouldn't fit in the car. It's being shipped in and should arrive tomorrow.

Gregory Wells

#18 Bob Kurkowski

Bob Kurkowski

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:13 AM

Rick Davis with a electronic controller! What's this world coming to?

Bob K.

#19 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,545 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

crowd.jpg

As this shot shows, the raceway got a lot more crowded today. The line leading off to the right is the guys waiting to be teched-in for GTC-PD.

custer:scharf.jpg

Willy Custer and Ross Scharf's pit boxes.

fulmer.jpg

R4 official photog Bill Fulmers take a break from the trashing to check his email and/or Facebook feeds.

gerhken.jpg

Noted chassis builder Eric Gehrken of 3d Racing tweaks one of his always-immaculate creations.

graybill.jpg

Earl Graybill's slot boxes feature some very interesting artwork on their fronts.

guard.jpg

This is my partner-in-crime Jay Guard's pit box, which I insist is way too neat and organized to be a real slot racer's pit space. How obviously hasn't been doing any real work here...

howie.jpg

Since Howie Ursaner always flies to the races in his private jet, this is the biggest box he can carry.

manta.jpg

"Manta" Ray Price likes the new vinyl decal on the front of his slot box and so do I.

manta.open.jpg

Here's Ray's box with the doors open.

mcm.jpg

Tom Thumb owner Mike McMasters contemplates his pit box and is probably not even thinking about his race cars, but whether all the pieces for this great event are in place. Mike's careful planning and hard work from the entire extended McMasters family makes this race a premier event among Premier events.

noose.pit.jpg

The "Tech Nazi" Joe Neumeister and his well-stocked and efficient pit.

panel3.jpg

More practice on the King. L to R, Rick Davis, Rich Attee, Bob Appelle, Ross Scharf, Willy Custer, Noose, Dave Smierka, with Daren Toman walking to the right.

panel8.jpg

L to R: Eleven-year-old phenom Ryan Bruce, "Sano" Dave Fielder instructing Dave Smierka, Steve Deiters, Howie Ursaner, Chris Radisich, and Eric Gehrken.

pit.1.jpg

I'm told this is Greg Krumnow's pit box.

pits.after.jpg

Now this is what a slot racer's pit looks like post-thrash. Lets term it the "after" shot.

sano.jpg

"Sano" Dave Fielder's mimimalist pit box. All he need to bring to win is a couple of cars, a controller, and that well-tuned finger of his...

tech1.jpg

Cap Henry, left, and Bud Bartos getting "Noosed" at the tech table. Bud seems to be liking the abuse but Caps seems less sure...

toman.pit.jpg

Daren Toman's incredible self-built Formica covered box.

unk.pit.jpg

Dave "Shadow" Smierka's neat pit box and area.

unk2.jpg

The pit boxes of Thom Greene and Mike Miller.

unk3.jpg

Unknown pit number three. I'll update these when I can.

green.jpg

Ken Green completes his pre-race prep.

panel10.jpg

More Coupe practice and since I can't see everyone to name them, I'll only ID John "Johnny Slotcar" Austin the foreground, who is obviously swilling an energy drink as part of putting his race face on. Maybe that's the secret to the nice qualifying run he cranked off in GTC-FK.

Gregory Wells

#20 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,622 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:05 PM

I love it.

Johnny Slotcar "juicing" up for his A Main qualifying run. LOL.

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#21 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,545 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

Maybe we need to consider adding some anti-Red Bull regs to the IRRA™ rules...

Or maybe some limits... you know, like no more than five cans before a race.
  • MSwiss likes this

Gregory Wells

#22 Bernie

Bernie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

Nah, the old guys need a "pick me up" to stay awake. :laugh2:  :laugh2:  :laugh2:
  • MSwiss likes this
Bernie Schatz

#23 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

So colorful is he...

Maybe Johnny Slotcar is just washing down the ghosts before he 'hits the gas'.
Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#24 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

"Red Bull... it gives you wings"... Just not on our cars. :laugh2:

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
    Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

"... because people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook."
    Richard M .Nixon, Nov 17, 1973

"Fool me once, same on... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again."
    George W. Bush

#25 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

Great shots of the pit boxes.

Dennis David