• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

Everyone knows MPC made slot cars and model car and truck kits. But did you know they also made rockets?

Sounds like a very familiar commercial I heard somewhere. :dash2:

Check out these interesting pieces. Hoping to cash in on some of Estes and Centuri's profits, MPC released these for a short time many years ago. Ever seen them?

DSC03671.JPG

Joe Lupo

#2 proptop

proptop

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

We had a Montgomery Ward store that had a small Toy Dept. that had a display of these rockets...along with a bunch of MPC plastic kits...

I had the Lunar Patrol in the early 70's...only got one flight out of it...

Shortly after launch, one of the gliders peeled off, and glided back down...(got that one back) but the rest of the rocket went spiraling up , leaving a cool looking corkscrew of smoke...but when the other glider popped off, it landed in the top of a HUGE Maple tree...never to be seen again...

I got the center/main part of the rocket back, and modified it w/ some fins of more conventional design, but never flew it again...I traded it for a plastic model kit...I think it was an F4F Wildcat IIRC...

Tom Hemmes
Insert witty phrase here...

#3 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:19 AM

Great story Tom. I'm not sure how many rockets actually made it back to "earth" in one piece, but it sure was cool to see them take off!

Joe Lupo

#4 JohnnySlotcar

JohnnySlotcar

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

I found a fairly large rocket in my yard years ago that apparently gone astray. I purchased an engine for it [biggest one that would fit]. and proceeded to launch it. Still have the photo of it as it took off. Just a smoke trail, and it was never seen by me again! ROFL

John Austin

Electric Dreams Online Shop