5 replies to this topic

#1 raisin27

raisin27

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

First I want to say I am not advocating any one way of running the races, in fact I really dont think any one of these ways is better than another, just different.

I have noticed that we seem to have come full circle in race procedures. Back in the '60's races were set up with the top 4 qualifiers going into the main, the next 4 into the semi, the next 4 into the A consi, then the B cosi, etc., etc. then having 4 move ups from each race.

Sometime in the '70s it was determined that nobody should get a direct set out to the main so the procedure changed to having 2 brackets with the top 4 from each semi making the main.

When I returned to the slots last year I saw the procedure was that after qualifying racers were seated into "A", "B", "C", "D" mains with the final positions determined by total laps no matter what main you were in.

Now after attending RetroPalooza I found that they once again have sit-outs in the main with move-ups from the semi, and consis (they are all called mains now but in my opinion if if someone finishing last in a lower main but turning more laps than a racer in a higher main is still credited with a lower final position then its not really a main but a consi).

All that's left now is for the organizers to decide that 6 sit-outs is too many and go to 4 and we will right back to where we started.

Again this is just an observation. I am not complaining or saying one way is better than another.

Raisin

Michael Garrett

Proud to drive an American car, from an American manufacturer, assembled by American workers.

I own a car from each of the big three: I have a Ford, a Mercury, and a Lincoln.

#2 The Number of

The Number of

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:23 AM

With this can of worms you will hear from mutilple sources why their way is the only correct way! Bill
Bill Fulmer

The lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

#3 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:24 AM

Yep, just one way of doing it. Actually, when I first started racing with Retro East, they used a one move-up format. I like the two move-up format better, as at least you have twice the opportunity. Limiting to two makes you really have to work to get one of those two spots.

Now when I raced at the first Southern Shootout, they used a "parallel" format, with 4 seeded into each of two semi-mains, then consis seeded with 4 each, so you have two parallel tracks to make it to the main. That was an enjoyable format.

Retro East also uses the "seeding into mains" method for their Tier 2 classes, i.e. GTC and stock car. That works well since you don't have move-ups, and it takes motor changes out of the equation. So that works well, too.

As you said, none better than the other, just different. Part of the fun of traveling to race, you get to try something different than what you may be used to.
"Whatever..."

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

Kinda like the fashion world, Raisin. Where "fashionable" skirt lengths cycle between long and short over time, etc.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:35 AM

When John, Noose, and myself set up Retro East we wanted to go with sit-outs as how we raced in the '60s.

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#6 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:38 AM

It also kept cars from getting destroyed on semis as we had such a large variation of skill and cars that could get around the track. Most guys were inexperienced with driving any car you could not brake and punch like a flexi.

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

Electric Dreams Online Shop