• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:23 AM

Probably not a lot of interest for these......just something to look at and maybe think about.

For a while now, I've gotten an occasional inquiry about anglewinders. These have mostly been out of curiosity I think b/c this class in not widely accepted nationally. In Nor-Cal, we run them about 6-8 times a year but these are not the Retro Pro's that other areas run (those are practically wing cars). We run them with Coupe bodies, basic Can Am rules technology, and motors up to the P/S "Big Dog". These cars are generally .3-.5 tenths faster than our Can Ams on any given banked track.

Our July race will feature these little rockets on the 115' flat track @ Fast Track Hobbies in Rocklin, so I had reason to strip them down to convert to flat track setups. This was a good excuse to show some pics of the different ways I build these.

Here's a good basic example. This one will go about 106 gr and carry a Big Dog motor @ 7-38 for the flat track.

• Handmade nosepiece w/R-Geo coined guide tongue.
  • Nosepiece is intentionally pretty large/heavy
  • Inside rail of the motor box is a one piece, 3-sided, open to the front, bent out of .062.
  • Other rails are 4X .055 main and all cross bits are .055.
  • Brass blocks at front and rear of pans are 1/16"
  • This car has been set up and run a fair bit but not raced yet.
  • I won't be surprised if this one needs some weight for the flat track

0ac6d30d-f15f-4eff-bc0b-cbed39904142_zps

1dd2fd7c-dc05-4f80-ab7f-8eb49aa70b2a_zps

Here are some variations on the basic theme.

• Left: 3X .055. Lightest and most flexible of this batch.
  • Center rail is one piece wrapped around the motor and running to the front.
  • This is a high bite car and for the flat track, will be set up with a mild motor @ 8-40/43

• Middle: shown above, stiffest of this batch.

• Right: 5X .047 middle flex, heaviest of this batch.
  • Nosepiece, cut up JK, anglewinder bracket is a Warmack.
  • This has generally been the fastest of this batch and will carry a good Big Dog @ 8-43 or 7-39.
  • I wouldn't be shocked if it ran better with the weight blocks on the pans moved to the rear.

bb84ace7-d433-4814-9bf6-81b404b78f88_zps

c24f15f8-82ae-4baa-913a-d5920096a30b_zps

Here's a couple experimental frames;

• Top: This is brand new, hasn't even been cleaned or tumbled yet.
  • Handmade nosepiece of .032 brass.
  • Perimeter main rail is single .062 wire, all motor box wire is .062. diagonals are .047.
  • Pans are 1/4" brass, rear corner plates and center plate are .032 brass.
  • Front shaker rail is 1/16" pintubing, rear shaker is .047 wire.
  • This frame is 10 gr. lighter than the lightest of the above. It would finish @ ~~ 92 gr.
  • This was built for higher speed tracks and is probably not ideal for this flat track foray.
  • I may set this frame up with a puppy dog for the initial testing on the flat track.

09f27c21-4752-4503-be3e-368aa659a045_zps

A 1/32 frame for our 1/32 Can Am (mini brute motor) class:

• Handmade nospiece, rear tray and guide tongue.
  • Center forks are .062" and free in the front tubes.
  • Outer main rails are 2X .047. Pans are 1/4" brass.
  • Front shaker rail is .055 in 3/32" tubes, rear is .047
  • Nosepiece and rear motor tray are .032 brass.
  • This has been tested and @ 89 gr was too light even with a Mini Brute @ 3.3/1
  • This frame has since had some center weights suspended from the small transverse wire near the rear.
  • With the weights in place, this frame is now 98 gr and will be very competitive in class.

a7eaba45-e8fe-49f5-8e40-ef0a45953224_zps

• endbelldrive likes this
Jim Fowler

#2 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

Very interesting frames Jim! The perimeter especially! But I love the 1/32 frame too!, thanks.for posting!

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#3 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

Thanks Tim:

The perimeter frame concept has possibilities. I have two Can Ams plus this one that will get wrung out over the summer. Last summer, I chased tuning forks up and down the block but by now, I don't use them all that often. The same thing may happen here I s'pose. (I do have another perimeter Can Am somewhat like this one in the "idear" stage)

Jim Fowler

#4 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:30 PM

Jim,

I really like the anglewinders also, but, as you said, not much interest. We only run them twice a year at BPR. However, I asked Charlie Nelson to build one for me for the up coming SWC. It seems to work rather damn well! Too bad I can only run it twice a year. You going to make it down for the SWC?

Tom Eatherly

#5 Duffy

Duffy

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:41 PM

I think this is the right move: guys start thinking about these sleds, a couple more get built &so on & so on, and ultimately you get enough out there that somebody's gonna organize a race.

I've got a corroded old relic from the '60s, a 1/32 Puzzle Pan built by tonyp for some proxy race that never came off. I've intended to make a modernized copy of it for like ever - this thread may provide just the push I need.

Michael J. Heinrich
1950-2016
Requiescat in Pace

And I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

#6 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:17 PM

Jim,

I really like the anglewinders also, but, as you said, not much interest. We only run them twice a year at BPR. However, I asked Charlie Nelson to build one for me for the up coming SWC. It seems to work rather damn well! Too bad I can only run it twice a year. You going to make it down for the SWC?

I'm sure the SCRRA can schedule a race for AWs on one of the normal flat track race dates. We ran RPs on the flat track not to long ago 

Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#7 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

Mike,

Yeah, a number of us have them, they just don't get run. They handle a lot better than our in-line cars, so they are fun to drive. We shall see.

Tom Eatherly

#8 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

Tom, no travel plans for me this year except maybe a flatster race either @ BPR or the Cave if they something going. Probably not though....

Jim Fowler

Electric Dreams Online Shop