• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Rizzi

Patrick Rizzi

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:24 PM

I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations as to what would be the best track to use for building a home HO race track set-up.

I used to have the original Aurora model motoring track but it rusted out pretty bad in storage. I now have a small setup using the new Auto World track.

Thank you all in advance.

Patrick
Patrick Rizzi

#2 sidejobjon

sidejobjon

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:56 PM

Max Trax
A Custom routed track, that can be changed or lengthen .
SJJ
John Falzarano

#3 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:58 PM

A great HO track has at least one very long straight, another somewhat long straight, some esses where a straight should be - at least 2 left and right (or right and left) combos in a row - and a keyhole turn - straight into a 45 degree turn, then 225 degrees heading back the other way (like a cotter pin end).

I am a big fan of a single cross-over, which tends to make all of the lanes the same length, and some decreasing radius turns. I rarely notice increasing radius turns when they are there.

You can't go wrong with a Bucktrax Scorpion layout - six lanes and a bit of a standard worldwide. It helps you track how your group is doing against other groups that run the same class on a Scorpion.

Any sectional track (old Aurora T-jet, newer A-FX, Tyco, Rokar/Lifelike, new AutoWorld) is not "big time" and will have that "clickety clack" toy sound unless you replace all of the rail with continuous rail (almost NEVER worth the effort).  Go with a Custom routed track, as John suggested. There are always several available. PM me and I can send you info on a very nice track at a very reasonable price for sale here in CO that is already boxed up in a crate and ready for shipment, I am told.

Again, just my 40% of a nickel, since you asked.

Keep it in the slot,

AJ

Sorry about the nerf. "Sorry? Sorry? There's no apologizing in slot car racing!" 

Besides, where would I even begin?   I should probably start with my wife ...

"I don't often get very many "fast laps" but I very often get many laps quickly." 

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one two three hands!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies, Longmont, CO (now at Duffy's Raceway), Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#4 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:39 PM

Take a look at what Dan Cronin's building in these forums!! VERY nice affordable routed tracks!!  Elite slot cars ---he can custom build your track for you!!  Check them out!!

• Matt Sheldon likes this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#5 John Miller

John Miller

This space for rent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:13 PM

Go to the planetofspeed.net That's where many of the top HO guys discuss this topic.  They always have a robust for sale section too.

"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

ProSlot.png

#6 Matt Sheldon

Matt Sheldon

Duffy's HMI Executive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:38 AM

Take a look at what Dan Cronin's building in these forums!! VERY nice affordable routed tracks!!  Elite slot cars ---he can custom build your track for you!!  Check them out!!

Agree with Tim, Dan's stuff is really, really nice and he knows what's going on. Seen a couple of his tracks and the quality is superb and everyone has said that his delivery times are as promised.

• Tim Neja likes this

Matt Sheldon

#7 Race O' Rama

Race O' Rama

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:56 PM

If you want something to just play on at home for yourself Tomy track is best

Karl Hoffheins

4/8/65-8/16/22
Requiescat in Pace

#8 Race O' Rama

Race O' Rama

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:06 PM

I have a nice routered track at my new store, that came from Indianapolis (Route 66 speedway), I guess it is up to youDSC05566.JPG but this is what I have at home to test and play at homehome ho track 1st half.jpg lft._side_of_my_ho_track_in_garage_250x187.jpg

Karl Hoffheins

4/8/65-8/16/22
Requiescat in Pace

#9 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:49 PM

No reason not to have a nice routed track at Home!! Their SOO much smoother and more fun for racing on--and not so expensive anymore either!!! Affordable raving in a very small space!!

She's real fine, my 409!!!

Electric Dreams Online Shop