1 reply to this topic

#1 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:16 PM

If anyone is interested in a very nice original 1962 original 409HP 409 four-speed car with Positraction, I'm going to let this one go!! It's been a lot of fun but I'm trying to downsize my toy collection.  

$45,000.00

IMG_0832.JPG
  • Jim Lange, PCH Parts Express, Hack and 1 other like this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#2 Hermit #1

Hermit #1

Mid-Pack Racer

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:44 PM

Last one of these I saw was in the 1960's, wrapped around a light standard on Grand Blvd. in St. Louis, with an exploded flywheel.  The driver had been street drag racing, missed his power shift (probably 2nd to 3rd gear), and the engine revved to the point of cast-iron failure.

The shrapnel cut the brake and fuel lines, blew through the floorboards, both of the driver's ankles, and the dashboard.  The fellow lost control of the car, which then impacted head-on with a metal light post.  The mounts were broken, and the engine forced back into the firewall.

After the driver was hauled off to the hospital (rumor later said he'd lost both feet), the car was towed to Bailey Technical School (which I was (attending), so all of us students got the chance to view the damage in detail and up-close.  All I can say is the experience left me to conclude that forged steel flywheels and good scatter-shields are great investments if you plan to drive your muscle car hard.

Good luck with your sale of a great looking classic car - hope your flywheel never let's go!

Wish I had the money ... retired/fixed income just doesn't allow.  :frown:

Dave "Hermit" Jones
5/26/??-9/12/17
Requiescat in Pace

Electric Dreams Online Shop