No replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,864 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:58 PM

Scrambling to get everything packed and prepared so we can load the chase car tomorrow and get headed out early, hopefully by 6 AM or even a bit earlier. Really want to get as many miles as possible under our wheels on the first day of the outbound trip.

I hit the local Fry's as soon as they opened for two of the 32GB SD cards they had in their sale flyer for $19.99. That makes three, so I'll have 96GB of camera storage and I hope that will be enough.

Also picked up a cheap ($30) pair of walkie-talkies so Geoff and I can communicate while on the way back without having to pull over. They're rechargeable from the cigarette lighter in the VW via a Y-shaped cable, which will be very convenient.

The final and most important purchase was a 10-B-C fire extinguisher. I may be crazy enough to do a trip like this, but I ain't stupid! LOL! Our family experienced a underhood fire some years back and never again... especially when a 10 pound unit costs just $14.95.

To illustrate the heartwarming and supportive nature of the old car fraternity, after I posted about this journey on the FordBarn forum, a member posted to remind me to take my MARC (Model A Restorers Club) and MAFCA (Model A Ford Club of America) member rosters, in case I needed to contact members for assistance. While I have joined both clubs (re-joined actually, after many years...) a couple weeks ago, I have yet to receive either club's new member packet with their rosters and I posted indicating that. About an hour ago I received this message:

I'll carry my MAFCA roster with me for the rest of the month. If you have a need to contact a MAFCA member, please feel free to call my cell any time. If I don't answer, leave a message and I'll call you back as soon as possible.

The roster has lists by state/city with a names, so I could give you someone's phone number and address.

Wishing you a GREAT trip. Be careful.

Knowing that there is support like this for our little venture brings a level of comfort that is hard to quantify.

Off in a bit to listen to younger son play tuba for the Emory Symphony Orchestra, his first gig with that excellent ensemble in about a year, though he's been playing with them for almost ten years now, including five years while he was a student there.

It seem somehow appropriate that the final piece will be Dvořák's New World Symphony.

The excitement and anticipation I feel today is probably going to make it a little hard to get to sleep tonight...
  • triggerman, MantaRay, beardogracing and 2 others like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

Electric Dreams Online Shop