• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:21 PM

Got a few of these Super 80 cars recently. One of them is actually a big rig tractor with two sets of rears just like the real thing!! I cleaned up the car, even still using the orange Riggen (?) rears, oiled her up, and onto my Carrera track: it outruns most anything I have in 1/32 scale!! This old boy sure is quick and handles great! Any facts and history on these would be helpful.

Chassis bottom reads: Super 80 Made in Norway by a/S MRC-Oslo official Group 32 official Group Mini 24

Anyone know the make of this motor?? Only has one oval hole in the can... What 1/24 scale bodies were used on these?? Were these sold and raced in the USA??

Thanks!! ;)

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing
C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

#2 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,284 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:28 PM

Glenn,

Look at the endbell, the name of the manufacturer is molded into it. It's called "Mabuchi". The motor is a FT16D/73.

The program was started in 1972 by Maury Winn of Twinn-K. The original cars were a McLaren M8F and a Porsche 917-10 both with injected bodies AND a big, fat FT36D motor! After a while and unsuccessful sales in the USA, Winn sold the whole mess to someone in Sweden. There, a new plastic chassis was eventually manufactured as well as a zilllion different vac-formed bodies and configurations.

Regards,

Philippe de Lespinay

#3 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:14 PM

Thanks, P.

What I have been trying to do is have a collection of not only original 1960s slot cars, but I am venturing into the 1970s with: Riggen, AJ's, now a few of these cars, and Parma. So I am looking for any other 1970s era 1/32 cars made. So far this has been a relatively inexpensive era to collect. Only cars from this era I am avoiding are the commonly-available NOS Strombeckers from Canada issues (Can-Ams, F1s), as they seem to be real crappola...

If anyone can inform me of other 1970s era slot cars (not Scalextric), let me know of what to look out for. Thanks! :D
  • oconnor likes this

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing

#4 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:32 AM

Hi,

The Super 80s were sold by Twinn K into the mid or late '80s. I don't know about "selling the whole mess", but the Winns were supplying me with bits, parts, and tires "sponsorship" for my cars.

I got review samples for them in the late '70s, I think '79, and successfully raced them at "Pro Womp" races in Colorado and Texas for the next decade. I just don't remember the bodies they came with.

One of the first samples won just over 40 races at "Jimbos" in Denver, and another 20 or so at a small track in Colorado Springs in '80 and '81. In San Antonio in '81/2, it won some 64 races at John Ford's track, JimHT's, and and another track, a King run by a Hispanic guy whose name I cannot recall now. At that latter track, I won two car stereos in "500 mile "races with the Ferrari 330T3 body from Parma. In both races, it actually ran just over 600 laps in an hour without wings with a 16D (semi-cheater).

I retired that particular chassis in '83, and replaced it with others which worked as well. That retired chassis still runs today as a home track car, but cut down to fit the Lancer Ferrari 330P4 body.

In the '70s and '80s, tracks had few options for "RTRs and kits" until the Flexi came out. Most tracks had races for stock and modified "Womps".

Bud Bartos had heard customers talking about my Super 80, and braced me at the '82 HIA in Dallas. And we sketched up a couple prototypes of what became the "Super Womp" and the first I-32s.

For running 6 second laps on old style Kings, though, the Super 80 would lose the rear axle carrier; you had to set it up and treat it like a Group 15 chassis to get it to live. But once that was done, it was a convincing racer.

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#5 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:31 PM

Thanks for all of that info, Rocky. I have actually made 1/32 scale plastic track club cars with Parma International 32 chassis and the rest of the parts are mainly Slot.it, which are used in today's 1/32 plastic chassis cars. And this baby performs very well on plastic tracks! I built a second car with a Pro Slot Demon chassis with the same good results. And I use ProTrack foam rubber rears on the Parma Intl 32 chassis with good results on plastic track with a 20,000 rpm motor. I can see this type of home/club car being a good balance for commercial and plastic track racers to race together on smaller club tracks.

I use the Super 80 on my Carrera track, and with all original tires too, and it runs great! Will test it out on the Red Lightning this Thursday at the CARS Vintage Club meet. I also have earlier versions of the Parma Intl 32 chassis, one is similar, but is not stamped with a name, and another I was told was called a Flexi Womp (?). Both of those older cars perform well on commercial tracks. And I still really enjoy my 1970s and 1980s Riggen cars, both on wood and plastic tracks. :D
  • oconnor likes this

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing

#6 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,844 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:36 AM

I think REH may still has new Super 80s in stock to sell today.

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#7 Dave Bowles

Dave Bowles

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:54 AM

I have the very same chassis.Looks like it might have been for a semi/tractor trailer type body with the double axle. This second axle assembly moves up and down.

Super 80
Made in Norway
BY A/S MRC-OSLO
Official Group 32
Official Group Mini 24

Seems to be made of brass.

The motor has a sticker that says Made In Hong Kong
The slotted part with the contacts says Jet Flag.

Any ideas anyone!!

Attached Images

• slotcar1.jpg
  • slotcar2.jpg
  • slotcar4.jpg

#8 JohnnySlotcar

JohnnySlotcar

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

These were sold by Twinn-K in the early 80's. The truck chassis had a nice semi cab body and was fun to race.These cars got me back into racing and I built a 3 lane routed home track.They would beat up on womps on my home track.The chassis without the trailing truck tires came with a variety of sports type bodies provided by Parma.
John Austin

#9 Johnny

Johnny

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

Hi Guys,

We (Asker Miniracing Club) are loaded with parts for these cars, exept for the chassis.

Here's a picture of one of my two new chassis and a box of motors.

chassis.jpg

motor.jpg

Just recently, we had a two-hour team race with these cars. The race was held at Stefan Törnfeldt's four-lane track in Stenungsund, Sweden.

A few pictures can be found HERE.
  • Mark Johnson likes this
Best Regards,

Johnny Andersen
Oslo - Norway
Asker Mini Racing Club

#10 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• Member at Peace
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

I have a couple of them in my old box, too.

Barney Poynor
12/26/51-1/31/22
Requiescat in Pace

#11 NY Nick

NY Nick

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

I have one, anyone try a newer motor in them?

For me it is one of the things I want to finish, it is like someone read my mind.

Thanks for posting this.
Nick Cerulli

#12 oconnor

oconnor

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:06 PM

Hi,

I have some of these chassis.

chris
Chris O'Connor