116 replies to this topic

#101 Cap Henry

Cap Henry

CHR Cars

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:27 AM

It's very sad to lose Jay, he was a great friend and one hell of a competitor. On track he was fierce and cutthroat, off track he was your best friend, he had a great sense of humor and made any race fun. We shared the same passion for dirt racing, and he actually came to a memorable race at Bridgeport to see me race the big car. Jay helped me many times in many different ways and I could never thank him enough.

Rest in peace, my friend. I'm sure you're already hammer down practicing for the next race.

• MSwiss, Joe Mig, Howie Ursaner and 1 other like this

#102 Matt Bruce

Matt Bruce

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:15 AM

Gone way too soon. My family and I will miss Jay very much. One of the best for sure.

Jay is the guy who pushed me to be better as a slot racer. He gave no quarter and he asked for none. Never one to mince words, Jay told you how it is, straight up, and expected the same back. He was always good to my son, and both Sharon and I loved him for that.

It tore me up to see him in pain and I'm thankful he is now at peace. The world lost a special man. He was a little rough around the edges, but he had a big heart. That was Jay. Thank you for being you. Thanks for all your help, your support, and friendship all these years. We miss you. Godspeed, my friend.

• Pappy, gascarnut, MSwiss and 12 others like this

#103 Tom Thumb Hobbies

Tom Thumb Hobbies

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,609 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:04 PM

At the first R4 Jay attended he walks in the door, stops, looks around, and says "Here is a raceway that I haven't been thrown out of yet." Well... about ten minutes later that almost changed.

A few years later he was living in my parking lot in the famous motor home for several days while racing in our Retro Endure that summer. He said he was my "guard dog" for the week. That was Jay.

Like Matt said he was rough around the edges but had a big heart. I don't think we have had a more fierce competitor at any R4 than Jay. But that's only a minor reason he will be missed.

He was a great friend to many. RIP.

• MSwiss, Noose, Joe Mig and 3 others like this

Mike McMasters
TTlogo300.jpg

Former home of the ORIGINAL American blue King

#104 Howie Ursaner

Howie Ursaner

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:46 PM

I first met Jay at the Sano 2. That was my first race back in Retro.

Jay was the star of the show, blowing my mind with his driving in the coupe race. After that we became very good friends. While most saw him as intense or arrogant he had a soft side that was gentle, kind, and caring and he had a deep love for his friends . He loved slot cars more than anything in the world and I loved him.

On the track Jay would contribute to a lot of action and we will never forget him. With his sharp mind an incredible sense of humor he could really piss you off but we would always laugh it off.

Miss you, Jay.

• MSwiss, John Gorski, Joe Mig and 4 others like this
Howie Ursaner

#105 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,067 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:52 PM

I never thought of Jay as being arrogant or even cocky. He came across to me as extremely intense and competitive which tends to rub some people the wrong way. But he was always extremely nice to me.

RIP, Jay.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#106 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,637 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:10 PM

At the first R4 Jay attended he walks in the door, stops, looks around, and says "Here is a raceway that I haven't been thrown out of yet." Well... about ten minutes later that almost changed.

Maybe that's why Jay and I didn't see eye to eye.

He was disappointed he could never get me mad enough to throw him out of Chicagoland.

If Wes ever comes back to the Sano, maybe I'll throw him out, in honor of Jay. LOL.

• Cheater, Pappy, Noose and 6 others like this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#107 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:31 PM

About three years ago at a Retro East race at Port Jeff I wrecked both my F1s in practice. I fixed one and got it on the track just before tech closed but it was not very good. Jay comes over and hands me a car and says, "Run this one". I practiced with it two laps and it was awesome. Only guy I didn't/couldn't beat that day was Jay himself - he won and I got second. A class act for sure!!

RIP, Jay.

• Noose, Joe Mig, usadar and 1 other like this

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#108 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,181 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:20 AM

Although we had our differences of opinion on things over the years, Jay was one hell of a competitor and did think outside the box when it came to racing. He will be missed. He was one of the few that I would lend a car to and would go on to beat me with it and win a race.

It's a damn shame that anyone has to go early in life. RIP, Jay, and give them hell in the tech line.

Jay1F1.jpg
  • Cheater, MSwiss, slotcarone and 4 others like this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#109 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:11 AM

The first time I met Jay was at our first Retro race at Keystone Raceway. After driving two hours and rushing to get the race going and getting in some practice, Jay started being Jay. I was already pissd and went up to him and said, "Jay, you don't want to **** with me". By the end of the day we were best of friends. 

Jay filled me in on a lot of the information I missed for the previous 20 years and really helped me run faster. Won a bunch of races with my stuff. I'll miss you...

• Cheater, MSwiss, John Gorski and 3 others like this

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#110 Ben Taxel

Ben Taxel

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:56 AM

Wow, just so sad, was just thinking about him wondering if he would be at the Scale Nats...

We had a lot of laughs and some intense races. He was always willing to help for nothing more than a thank you.

Rest in peace, my friend.

#111 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:43 PM

Rest in peace, Jay.
Peter J. Linszky
6/30/54-6/27/22
Requiescat in Pace

#112 The Number of

The Number of

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:06 PM

I never met Jay until after his first round with cancer, and I never was on his bad side as I was never fast enough to be the same round as he was. His reputation preceded him and he was vocal and forceful in his racing.

I had dinner with him one night in Chi and all we talked about was life and living. He had mellowed out some by this point in his life, so I will remember the good times I had with him.

Godspeed, my friend.
  • MG Brown, MSwiss and Howie Ursaner like this
Bill Fulmer

The lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

#113 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:01 AM

A couple of years ago I called Jay at SpeedZone after he had come out West to one of the Checkpoint races. I think he qualified third in Can-Am but broke a guide on the VERY first lap and was out. We discussed his bad luck, I listened to his heated opinions on everything from what the Checkpoint organizers were doing wrong to what the IRRA® was doing wrong... and just about everything in between and also a lot of other issues that had nothing to do with slot cars.

Later in the conversation, I told him I was very sorry to hear about the little SpeedZone mascot dog who had died recently and Jay just broke down.

Rest in Peace, Jay.

• Tex and usadar like this

#114 usadar

usadar

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:28 PM

Later in the conversation, I told him I was very sorry to hear about the little SpeedZone mascot dog who had died recently and Jay just broke down].

I remember her name was Cali, whom I met at my first Fall Brawl at SpeedZone in 2012.

Jay really loved her, taking a very good care of her, showing his warm heart.

RIP, Jay.

Haruki
  • garyvmachines likes this
Haruki Kan
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo on Facebook

Where do we go from here: chaos or community?

#115 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:03 AM

That's a side of Jay that few outside of NJ have probably seen. Thanks for sharing that. It really speaks of the man's heart.

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#116 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,548 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:36 AM

This memorial piece, "Saying Goodbye to a Friend", was emailed to the SpeedZone list this morning by Mike Iles.

kisling1.jpg

kisling2.jpg

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#117 Howie Ursaner

Howie Ursaner

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:10 AM

Seattle USRA Nationals.

seattle.jpg
  • Mike Jr likes this
Howie Ursaner

Electric Dreams Online Shop