• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 01:11 AM

When I first got into driving slot cars I really had no goals. After awhile I tried racing and wasn't competitive against older, wiser and better funded racers. pretty typical for an 8th grader with no help. I aspired to be able to race and at least be somewhat competitive. Many years later I started racing at Monty Ohren's Crash and Burn in local races. I really didn't have goals past that, Monty talked me into trying a USRA race. I never really thought about winning races or championships but ended up achieving beyond my expectations and having way more fun and making friendships that have lasted decades. I don't think I have the skills or motivation to be truly competitive anymore but I can still enjoy the people, the driving and sometimes even the building. I'd like to thank the manufacturers, distributors and track owners and my fellow racers that make our hobby possible.

• Tex, Les Boyd, PCH Parts Express and 2 others like this
The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#2 ShootinSparks

ShootinSparks

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:03 AM

Mike, your post bookends nicely with one that Greg made recently in "1/1 Racing & Rides."

A Racing Rant

John Robeson

#3 macman

macman

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:38 PM

Mike you doing any drag racing now? lots of tracks in NC...

Ben Kernan
8/3/53-4/11/21
Requiescat in Pace

#4 skeelsnikki

skeelsnikki

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:55 AM

Is it hard to get started in slot car racing? I recently came into some stuff from my father in law John.
Nicole Woodrow

#5 911GT3

911GT3

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:17 AM

Nicole, sorry about your loss. It isn't difficult to get into slot car racing. Start with going to the track and running laps and talk to other people at the track. Start with having fun.

Eric Balicki

#6 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:38 AM

Nicole,

A lot depends on what era cars you got from your FIL. If you have slot cars from the attic or basement that are 40 years old or more, typically they will not run very good, if at all without some money spent on them and access to vintage parts. They can be run though and be a lot of fun.

If the items you got were from the last 10-20 years, they may need only some fresh tires and oil to be run successfully.

The best advice is to visit your nearest track and talk to the owner and show him what you have. If he wants to buy it, I would not sell until I got a fair appraisal from this forum or some other knowledgeable people.
  • Cheater and skeelsnikki like this

Matt Bishop

#7 skeelsnikki

skeelsnikki

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:17 PM

I have motors and armatures that have things like Checkpoint and different names on them. I also have some that have Pro Slot on them. If any of that means anything to you guys.
Nicole Woodrow

#8 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,551 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:27 PM

Anything with Checkpoint on it could have decent value, as that is a noted company from years ago. Pro Slot has been in business a lot longer and it's going to depened on what the Pro Slot items are.

But yeah, we know those names.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#9 skeelsnikki

skeelsnikki

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:38 PM

We have a gentleman interested in the Checkpoint items, but I'm worried about the possibility of him ripping us off.
Nicole Woodrow

Electric Dreams Online Shop