Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:10 PM

DP1.jpg
Header.jpg

Porsche 962 - Winner?

In this article, I attempt to answer the question; Is the Porsche 962 one of the best selections for our GT1/Group C class? The answer is yes. Is it the best selection? Sorry, I cannot answer that question.

I have not been happy with the performance of my Porsche 962 in recent competitions at Electron Raceway. The car was nearly .2 seconds per lap slower than the class record holder (a Jaguar XJR12 built and driven by James Wendel). Believe me, I am not anti-Porsche 962. Below is an image of my current ride and extra bodies.

P1020444.JPG

I decided it was time for a 962 makeover. Two major modifications were made.
  • New side pans were fabricated out of 1 inch wide, .062 inch thick brass. The old configuration included side pans that were only .75 inches wide
  • Hawk 7 motor replaced the Falcon 7 power plant
Chassis and guide flag heights were adjusted after the pans were installed. Below are images of the chassis and the completed car.

P1020417.JPG

P1020412.JPG

P1020415.JPG

Results are quite promising as the car is as fast and handles as well as my Jaguar XJ220. The XJ220 is within a whisker of the GT1/Group C fast lap record. I intend to run the Porsche 962 in the next race at Electron Raceway (most likely on 11/19/15). Ill keep you posted on the results.

Backstory

The True Scale GT1/Group C class is a mainstay at Electron Raceway. The class is also run at our sister track in Roseburg, STR. The cars feature Scholer chassis and either Falcon 7 or Hawk 7 motors. Racers are constantly looking for an edge in this class and significant improvements in lap times have been made over the years.

Over the past several months, I have published articles about various GT1/Group C bodies and have opined about which one(s) might be the most competitive. I also published an article entitled the Tale of The Tape which included specifications for various Group C and GT1 bodies (We allow the Enzo to run in this class because it is a cheap alternative and has about the same wheelbase and track as some GT1 and Group C cars). Below is a copy of the specifications table and associated notes for reference.

Actual best lap times posted in the table cannot be seen as a ranking of bodies because each car may be powered by a unique motor, each has a slightly different set of front and side pans and each may have been tested with sets of tires that were different sizes (smaller size tires yield faster results).

GT1Attributes.jpg

Notes 1: The front wheel well height of the Porsche 962 is not sufficient to position full size front wheels at the outermost part of the bodywork. Wheels must be tucked under. This makes the effective front track less than 3.25 inches.

Note 2: Although the Toyota GT- One shows a height of 1.63, the roof slopes down quickly

Note 3: Best Lap Times were recorded at Electron Raceway during an actual event. Each body was mounted on its own chassis with its own motor, so relative times are dependent on these factors as well as driving ability. The comparisons are a useful guide, they are not at all perfect.

Note 4: Porsche 962 fast lap was achieved with a Falcon 7 motor. Most competitors use Hawk 7 motors which tend to be about .1 second per lap faster.

Note 5: It appears that my Porsche 911 GT1 Evo rear wheel openings have been hogged out a bit to accommodate the full size ProTrack wheels. This would be unnecessary for our current GT1 class because we allow full size wheels to be cut down to 1 inch in diameter.

For more about our GT1 class, see the Electron Raceway Forum and take a look at the Classes sub forum. See this LINK. Then check out GT1 or any other class shown.

Rich Vecchio

#2 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:30 AM

DP1.jpg
HeaderSS2.jpg

Porsche Cruises to a Win

Richs revamped Porsche 962 made its racing debut at the Electron Raceway Triathlon on 11/19/15. Competition was stiff. Every participant brought their A game to the GT1 race. James ran his record holding Jaguar XJR12. Jack brought his quickest Enzo. Ron unveiled a brand new immaculate silver Enzo body mounted on one of his best chassis. Bob ran his very quick Enzo. Below is an updated table of the attributes and performance of various GT1 rides.

GT1Attributes.jpg

The 962 was very fast, handled quite well and was easy to drive. The long tail loosened the car in the tight corners at Electron Raceway. Rich won the race and in the process set a new class record of 92.9 laps. However, James Jaguar XJR12 held on to the fast lap record of 4.787 seconds set on 10/8/15. Richs best lap was a very competitive 4.871 seconds.

The details of the finishing order and images of the GT1 grid are shown below. To read the unabridged narrative with many more images and details see the link http://slotblog.net/...15/#entry615953

GT1Results.jpg

P1020518.JPG

P1020519.JPG

Rich Vecchio

#3 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:21 AM

Way to go Rich.  The 962 might not be the lightest or most nimble but its a well balanced and low allowing it to keep good momentum.  Its one of my "go to" bodies for chassis testing.  

Max Mohring

#4 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:43 AM

Way to go Rich.  The 962 might not be the lightest or most nimble but its a well balanced and low allowing it to keep good momentum.  Its one of my "go to" bodies for chassis testing.

Stay tuned. This evening we race GT1 and Can-Am at STR. I have three GT1s including the 962, Toyota GT-One and Jaguar XJ220. STR is a very tight track and I am never sure which ride will work best. I'll post a narrative of the results with images tomorrow or Wednesday. Below are images of the XJ220 and Toyota

Attached Images

• P1010766.JPG
  • P1010767.JPG
  • P1010768.JPG
  • P1010769.JPG
  • P1010924.JPG
  • P1010925.JPG
  • P1010926.JPG

Rich Vecchio

#5 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:24 PM

BTW,
I am also working on a Nissan R390 but other projects have kept me quite busy. The car is much wider than the 962 although it is a bit taller. I see that Joe has a Nissan. How is it compared to the 962?

Rich Vecchio

#6 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:40 PM

That Toyota GT One is a hot looking number!  I have one myself that has yet to be painted.  I have tried Joes Nissan, it feels lighter and a bit more nimble in the turns with less body rear of the back wheels.  Joe always builds top notch cars.

Max Mohring

#7 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:45 PM

That Toyota GT One is a hot looking number!  I have one myself that has yet to be painted.  I have tried Joes Nissan, it feels lighter and a bit more nimble in the turns with less body rear of the back wheels.  Joe always builds top notch cars.

I have had some good success with the Toyota. It is a complex build. I wrote an article about the build in the Electron Raceway Projects sub forum. See the link http://slotblog.net/...ceway-projects/ Then select Building the Ultimate GT1

Rich Vecchio

#8 James Wendel

James Wendel

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:23 PM

Okay, Rich... I'm ready for you.  I painted my wheel inserts, which will make my car much faster. :D

Before:
Wheel Inserts 028.JPG

After:

Jag c inserts 004.JPG

You may have noticed that the car changed as well... try to ignore that.  Rather, notice the huge difference in the wheels.  Well, actually, it's pretty subtle. 

Jag c inserts 014.JPG

This was a multi-step finish: Tamiya white primer, custom mixed silver/gunmetal, clear topcoat.

Jag c inserts 012.JPG

They look good, but the change between painted and raw plastic is barely noticeable... Ah, well.

I also changed out the gears, both pinion and spur.  This car has never had a quiet gear mesh, but I think I may have fixed that with an ARP tapered pinion and an orange Prof Motor 54t spur.  It sounds good on the bench, but the proof is at the track.  The spur that I removed was a 56t gray composite gear that I believe was the primary cause of the gear whine.

While I was at it, I swapped out the rear tires which were down to 0.95" and installed a larger, freshly trued pair.  The smaller spur and larger tires combined effect results in a 3% increase in rollout, which might be a bad thing, particularly on Bob's tight track.  We shall find out tonight at the race.

You can't always get what you want...

#9 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:35 PM

James,
The car looks great. Quit making improvements so we can all rest on our laurels.

I'll be doing a set of inserts like that in the near future. I tested my three rides yesterday. The 962 and Toyota are equal. My selection will depend on the track conditions but it should be a fun and as always a competitive race.

Rich Vecchio

#10 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 04:26 PM

Max,
Here is an image of Ron's Toyota GT-One

Attached Images

• RonToyGT1.jpg

Rich Vecchio

#11 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:55 PM

Such an aggressive looking car.  Looking forward to hearing results from your racing this evening.

Max Mohring

#12 Dushkwoneshe

Dushkwoneshe

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:25 PM

James...   Nice look with the inserts!---Great job!---obtw...  who makes the Jag body?---Won my 1st 4" Flexi race in the '90s with a XJR-12, clear body---Best wishes with your changes---John

John Wheeler

Certified Trigger-Finger Fitness Trainer

#13 James Wendel

James Wendel

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:06 AM

Thanks, Uncle Johnny. :D

I believe the body was from a Hasegawa Silk Cut Jaguar XJR-8 LM

123079-16046-18.jpg

I bought it off Ebay as a built model, raced it for quite a while, then repainted it and raced it some more.

It is amazing how well it has held up (with numerous minor repairs).

If you missed the DIY pictures that I posted about making the inserts, they can be seen here:

http://slotblog.net/...-wheel-inserts/

You can't always get what you want...

#14 Dushkwoneshe

Dushkwoneshe

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:31 AM

Thanks, Uncle Johnny. :D

:lol:   

Thanks for the help and link---Love all those XJR Jags 

John Wheeler

Certified Trigger-Finger Fitness Trainer

#15 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:30 PM

Max and others,
A bit of carnage in practice prior to the race at STR on 11/23/15. Plastic Welder will fix it right up.

P1020532.JPG

The race at STR is now history and I have posted a narrative a few images. See the link http://slotblog.net/...15/#entry616585 Below are the details. Any of the top five could have won. Consistency was the key and Jack had it! I can take heart, however, my 962 turned fast lap of the evening in GT1

GT1Finish11_23_15.jpg

Rich Vecchio

Electric Dreams Online Shop