#26 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:57 AM

Thanks, Greg. 

I should have known: Hispano-Suiza is one of my translation customers these days! They don't make cars any more, but aircraft equipment, mostly power transmissions (accessory gearboxes). 

I had heard about the Chandler collection, but had no idea what had happened to it... 

When are you coming over to see the collection in Mulhouse? (127 or so Bugattis...) - in fact, did you make it there on your trip to Europe, Dennis? 

Don 

#27 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,548 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:09 AM

Don,

Chandler's collection, though world class, was not as focused as Peter Mullin's and most of it was dispersed at auction after his death.

I'd love to come over to see the the Schlumpf collection!

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#28 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:37 PM

Greg, that's King "Alfonso". after Alfonso XIII, king of Spain.

Don, there is nothing left of the Chandler collection, it was sold at auction years ago and was disseminated all over the worlds, cars and bikes. The Chandler family heirs have zero interest in old cars and no longer own the Los Angeles Times, which used to organize one of the greatest sports car race on the planet at Riverside Raceway.

Dennis, you will be disappointed to find out that the Oxnard Mullin museum has lost a lot of its top-notch cars which are now on display at the revamped "Petersen Museum" in Los Angeles, where American cars and American car history have now been wiped out by the new organization in favor of much less cars on display and lots more politically correct electric, hydrogen and other marginal stuff, taking the entire second floor, while Mullin, now chairman of the board, has taken over the ground floor with his French coach-builder wonders.
Spectacular but quite a disappointment for American car lovers.

Also I believe that unless the policy has recently changed, you need an appointment to visit the Oxnard museum at least on weekdays.

Philippe de Lespinay

#29 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:44 PM

Yes, weekends are open to the general public. I plan on going to the Peterson Museum in the future. Isn't it closed for remodeling? Anyway whatever is there is there so I am sure I'll enjoy it.

Don, I went to China instead. ;-)

Dennis David

#30 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:49 PM

Dennis, the Petersen is now re-opened after a $95 million revamping. It is quite spectacular, but not what "Pete" Petersen had in mind when he provided the funding for the foundation. Quite a disappointment for me, but still worth visiting if you like fancy and flashy.

Philippe de Lespinay

#31 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 01:23 PM

Understood, still interested to see what they have done to the place.

Dennis David

Electric Dreams Online Shop