13 replies to this topic

#1 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:03 PM

AZGR%20logo%202014%20copy_zpsgvawdthz.jp

Black Friday arrived again and while other people were out battling with each other over consumer products, the Tribe of AriZonaGarageRacing rolled out before dawn to race the day away at Daybleville.

It's hard to believe that this is the seventh year in a row for this event. I try to make it bigger and / or better every year and so this year I added a newly reworked track section by my good friend Cruzin' Bob Scott of Cruzin' Hobbies

Cruzin%20logo_zpsw6wszyce.jpg

Bob was excited to update the track that I asked him to build in 2008 and so I started sketching on napkins and designed a donut section that would add a 90º turn to the old "roval" design.

P1010873_zps4htenxif.jpg

The 2008 layout.

We took out the last section of straight / chicane and Bob turned that baby around! Pun intended.

Track1_zps6n5fskqd.jpg

Track2_zpsy6p0mz3r.jpg

Track3_zpsonfsw7tm.jpg

Now it looks like this;

Intermediate%202015%20Layout_zpsuj72dipk

And this;

Yellows%20View_zpsdxyo6vm3.jpg

And it runs like this...

http://i6.photobucke...zpsmtji8xop.mp4

Pretty much everybody said it was the best yet and it turned out to be fun and challengeing to race on.

YEA BOB!!!

You are da "Wood Whisperer" !!!

Next up; The Peeps and the Races...

• Cheater and Tim Neja like this
Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#2 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:23 PM

One more thing about the new section, I'm calling it

The%20Vortex_zpssqx30ayl.jpg

We had a pretty good crowd for the set-up and had the tent and track built in record time. We're getting pretty good at it after all these years. We had power on and were rolling by a little after 8 and got down to learning the new configuration.

We had some special guest in the garage too! Brian "Steele" Gibbens has been busy with his kid's activities and hasn't raced much lately but he got a chance to come and we were glad to see him!

We also had a visit from Steve and Jonathan Forsyth. Steve didn't race but was a huge help in setting up. Jonathan raced with a Poker Face and it paid off in the big race.

We also had visits from racer Ray Gilmor and some of my Barrett-Jackson buddies, a couple of which brought sons or grandsons to race.

The first race was Racer/Sideways Group5 IROC

Rick Schonfeld, Lee Bumbalow and I provided the cars with no magnet and SC-2009 Scaleauto tires mounted.

1%20Group5%20_zpscokjtenk.jpg

Steele showed that he still has it while Jonathan let us know that he wasn't messin around. They both had 108 but Steele was ahead. Cruzin Bob was close behind with 107.

I had sponsored this race and Steele won a nice 1/24th Tamiya Lola T-70 Spider body kit.

1%20Group5%20Winner_zpstfnevorj.jpg

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#3 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:41 PM

Next up was another IROC this time we ran Ninco F-1 cars which I provided and the youngsters joined the big guys for a fun and actually exciting race.

2%20F-1%20_zpse9zsasda.jpg

Slammin' Steve Hill won the battle for the lead from Track Daddy (Bwaahaahaa!!!) Bob 118 to 117 and Big Dave Duddy was third with 111.

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#4 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:08 PM

The third race of the day was race 2 of 12 for our NSR GT3 catagory cars. We are running these to the NSR rules except we allow any slip-on silicone rear tire and require the #3024 Baby King 17,000 rpm NSR motor. We are varying the voltage to suit the track, the last time we ran here on one of the shorter layouts we ran 11 volts, this time with the long straights we ran 12.

3b%20NSR%20Line%20up_zps4kh6bwjn.jpg

Jonathan Forsyth joined the fray and took the win with 108 0ver Roger Gunning with 107 and Rick Schonfeld with 105.

3%20NSR%20Series_zpsvse3rici.jpg

I will post overall and class results on the AZGR Yahoo and FB Groups later this week.

Steve Hill sponsored this race and Jonathan won a nice gift card to Olive Garden!

Jonathan and Steve F. had to leave before the race ended so that Jonathan could got to work but Lee will take him his prize and I hope they come back to race with us again!

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#5 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:38 PM

Time for some 1/24th!

Scaleauto GT is one of our favorite classes and it wouldn't do to hold a big race and not run them. What started out as an all Porsche GT3 series has morphed into various GT bodies from Scaleauto and other sources. I run a slightly lightened Carrera Corvette C6R but the big favorite these days seems to be the Scaleauto Vipers.

We run them on 27.5mm O.D. X 13mm wide Scaleauto ProComp3 foams and allow either the yellow 25K motor with a 10 tooth pinion or the Endurance motor with a 12t pinion. Both must run on a 44t spur gear.

4%20Scaleauto%20GT_zps3lypgzwn.jpg

Rick Schonfeld is the man when it comes to these and today he really kicked it up because Steele sponsored the race with a NIB Slot-it Sauber Mercedes!

Rick wanted that.

4b%20Scaleauto%20Winner%20Rick_zps65sope

He got it!

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#6 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:47 PM

The 5th race of the day was what we are calling Duddy GTs.

This is a class Dave Duddy runs using any Scalextric GT type car with a wing.

Rear tires can be any slip-on silicone and you may change the guide flag if it is a problem and don't even bring one with a magnet!

This is inexpensive fun!

5%20Duddy%20GT_zpsocxqcmls.jpg

Big Dave won his namesake race followed by "Dispicable Me" Ed Cicoria and a first AZGR Podium finish for Mike "P.2" Paquette. Congratulations!

Big Dave had sponsored this race and the prize of a miniture Mario Andretti helmet when to Ed for 2nd place.

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#7 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:03 PM

Race 6 was another AZGR staple. We race Fly classics all the time, it was one of the first races run when I started this group and has evolved from a basicly stock car with magnets and silicones to very sophisticated no mag builder's class with lots of mods and lots of aftermarket parts. Included in this sidewinder only class are Spirit's Ferrari 512M and SRC's Porsche 907K.

When we set up the new track this last Wednesday I won the first race on it with one of these cars but today it was not going to happen!

6%20Fly%20Classics%20_zps0qcmon8q.jpg

It seems that Track Daddy wanted revenge!

He led with110 over Dave Duddy 109  and Rick Schonfeld 107+

(That screen did not sort properly or I got passed after the dead strip. I am 4th behind Rick with 107)

Leland Bumbalow Sponsored this one with a nice gift card for Bob to Chili's

Yum!

• CruzinBob likes this
Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#8 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:20 PM

By this time it was after 8 P.M. Some of the guys had long drives to the far corners of Arizona and some of us were just plain tired so we decided to "break camp" and pack the track and tent away in the garage and call it a night.

These guys are amazing, they helped me tear it all down and put it away before heading home.

I stayed up til about midnight putting things back in boxes and re-arranging things in the garage. Of course it wasn't terrible considering my buddy Herb Morris had brought a "track warming" gift of Breckenridge Vanilla Porter.

Before I end this I want to mention that the track is modular, I can set it up in several configurations but the one that I am really excited about uses the Vortex between the two end pieces which will give me an excellent little layout for running in the garage with the door down and the AC on in the summer!

New%202015%20short%20course_zpsvkq2sifk.

Until next time!

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#9 CruzinBob

CruzinBob

Track Owner, Builder, Mobile Track Master

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:24 AM

Dave,

Great report young fella...retired young fella :)

The Vortex...so aptly named.  Created such a high vibration for me that ended with a win with a loaner car!  Thx Lee!

Thank you Dave for you ARE the AZ Slot Car Mayor!

Bob Scott
Cruzin' Mobile Slot Car Racing

Men can heal the lustful. Angels can heal the malicious. Only God can heal the proud. - St. John Climacus

#10 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:35 AM

Looks like you Arizona boys have some fun club racing going on!  :good:

• Dayble and CruzinBob like this

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#11 CruzinBob

CruzinBob

Track Owner, Builder, Mobile Track Master

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:09 AM

Here's some history on section #5, now known as the Vortex!

First section complete in El Rio, CA shop.  I heard wrong and made it totally opposite what it was supposed to be.  Tried and didn't like it =

First redo at WHEELS in Apache Junction, AZ. Apr 2012.  Tried it and didn't like it neither.

Re Redo at Ranch in AJ, Feb 2014.  What, one lane squeeze?!  Tried it....

Hey we Do Redo 4 U :sun_bespectacled: The Vortex is born :heat:

Attached Images

• 1601030_631390723564156_2037346223_n.jpg
  • 480915_356818541021377_2061800320_n.jpg
  • 1610069_631390720230823_1804003756_n.jpg
  • 480915_356818537688044_814424677_n.jpg
  • 12289513_916472015056024_8070677346583208361_n.jpg

• Dayble likes this
Bob Scott
Cruzin' Mobile Slot Car Racing

Men can heal the lustful. Angels can heal the malicious. Only God can heal the proud. - St. John Climacus

#12 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:26 PM

Never Give Up!

We tried and tried and tried and Bob was on it everytime. What a guy!

The first two attempts had some additional freehand squiggles or sharp bends that upset the cars in the high speed part of the track. Attemp #3 was to mirror the original 8' "Pinch" section shown here.

1st%20Pinch_zpsrmq99xdb.jpg

But we got it backwards and it didn't have the desired effect of creating a long 16' ess with dual chicanes. Again there was too much speed and too many crashes and not enough "road course".

Now we got plenty O road course and a cure for the 100º summertime blues. :D

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#13 eshorer

eshorer

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:54 PM

Very cool! You guys really get your day's worth of racing in! A question about the tires you use on the Racer Group 5 cars: How do the SC-2009 Scaleauto tires compare to the stock (Slot.it) tires that come on the cars? In the Farrout club we run the stock tires, but some of us are looking for an alternative that won't be so loose, or wear out so quickly. We've considered Ortmanns and Ninco, but not the Scaleauto. Do tell.

Eddie

Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

#14 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:36 PM

Hi Eddie. We like the foam tires better than the stock rubber on the Epoxy track surfaces Bob uses on most of his tracks and on Carrera plastic however one of our guys has a Ninco track and it has a very grainy surface which is hard to keep clean and so we run silicones there.

We treat the foams with (either or both) NSR rubber Treatment oil or ScaleAuto "Foam and Rubber Slot Grip Tire Cleaner" (The red bottle).

With these tires, no mag and a little weight the Gr5s handle really well compared to stock without the magnets and we get a dozen or so races out of a pair. Very drivable.

If you are running magnets get Supertires silicones and you'll never have to replace them.

We run both treated foams using these two products and silicones one class right after another without ever cleaning the track and never have any of the compatibility issues that you hear about.

The Racer Gr5s are great little cars!

We have run PG and Otmann urethanes in the past but these tires are way better.

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

Electric Dreams Online Shop