91 replies to this topic

#1 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:36 AM

After reading the post by Tex entitled 'My latest Hardbody', I got to thinking that there are many European style screwed chassis available including Scholer, Plafit, Slotting Plus, Scale Auto, and likely many others that I am not familiar with. It would be interesting to see how others have set up their chassis with various powerplants. Anyone out there using these chassis please post images of your set-up.

We have been running Scholer chassis cars for several years at Electron Raceway and STR. We use Hawk 7 motors in our GT1 class and Deathstar or Pro Slot 16 D sealed motors in all other classes. Over time the classes have developed by adding custom pans and weight tuning.

Below are images of the Scholer, Slotting Plus, and Scale Auto chassis in stock form Scholer Pantera.

Scholer Pantara.jpg

Scholer I-55

i55-1360-2.jpg

Slotting plus SP 800001

SP800001-2.jpg

Scale Auto

SC-8000rtr%20EVO2-1.jpg

Note that all are of similar design. The movement in the chassis is facilitated by the H plate that can move up and down. Below are some images of our chassis set-up on the Scholer chassis. We understand that the Scholer chassis will not be available any more; Ron is experimenting with a Slotting Plus chassis (also shown). Note that in both cases, the side pans are attached to the H plate. The front pan is static and attached to the main section of the chassis. Pans are .062 inch brass. This configuration works quite well. Also note that we are using pretty strong motors Hawk 7 or 16D.

Scholer 

P1020413.JPG

P1020415.JPG

James has come up with a bit different side pan configuration but it involves a bit of soldering. James - feel free to post and explain.

Slotting Plus

P1020493.JPG

P1020494.JPG

• Tex and Samiam like this

Rich Vecchio

#2 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:28 AM

It seems the chassis to race in Europe are the DoSlot and Slot Fabrik type of chassis that appear to have some flex in them.

Dennis David

#3 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:44 AM

Do you have either? How have you set them up and what motor are you using?

The Slotfabrik chassis is $120 Euros ($131).

The DoSlot at this LINK sells
HERE for $120 or $199 as a rolling chassis.

Both pretty pricy compared to Scholer or Slotting Plus at about $50.

Rich Vecchio

#4 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:46 AM

Unfortunately I have not as of yet and probably not till later this year. I have worked with the Scaleauto chassis but with the underpowered SA motor.

Dennis David

#5 Howie Ursaner

Howie Ursaner

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:22 PM

Chris and I ran DoSlot cars built by Nick de Wachter to sweep the Worlds in Barcelona in 2011.
Howie Ursaner

#6 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:41 PM

Now I understand that Slotfabrik-modified DoSlot chassis are the ones to beat.

Dennis David

#7 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,800 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:45 PM

For racing hard body cars I can't imagine WHY to spend a bunch of money on a "bolt it together" chassis when one of these is SO easy to build!! Their CHEAP too!! Get a simple sidewinder bracket and front end from BPR---U Bend .078 or even .092 wire ---hinge the pans with simple down/up stops!! Hang the body with pin mounts and your done!! And this chassis will FAR out handle those bolt together monstrosities!!  Take a look at all of the D3 Hard Body pages for chassis designs but these work GREAT--are EZ to build for about $45.00 and you'll have a very nice handling hard body car!! Keith has several build tutorials on his web page for hard body!! Why waste your money??

http://www.hardbodyr...m/how-to-s.html

Check out this page for building tips!! Use the Nascar sidewinder chassis for example!! There's lot's more complicated designs--but those cars run as well and as fast as ANYTHING we run!! VERY EZ builds!! 

Eddies car.jpg

Eddies Chassis.jpg

• garyvmachines likes this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#8 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:12 PM

Yes those D3 cars you guys race are great but don't assume they will far out handle a Slotfabrik-modified DoSlot chassis.

Dennis David

#9 James Wendel

James Wendel

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:11 PM

For racing hard body cars I can't imagine WHY to spend a bunch of money on a "bolt it together" chassis when one of these is SO easy to build!!

Come on, Tim... you know the answer. It's the same reason they don't run wing bodies. You build to the rules. :victory:
  • Cheater and Tim Neja like this
You can't always get what you want...

#10 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:48 PM

We race the Scaleautos at Slot Car Raceway in Rohnert Park and they are a blast to race. They handle pretty well straight out of the box once you switch out the tires for sponge rubber.

Dennis David

#11 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,800 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:11 PM

Yes those D3 cars you guys race are great but don't assume they will far outhandle a Slotfabrik-modified DoSlot chassis.

I'll take that bet!!! Bring it on!!   :)

#12 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,800 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:12 PM

Come on, Tim... you know the answer. It's the same reason they don't run wing bodies. You build to the rules. :victory:

They're modifying the crap out of those things!! Why not just establish some simple rules and build them?

#13 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:50 PM

Tim,

That would be a great bet. I know Ryan Miller races hardbody with you guys so I would be up for it but it needs to be on the flat track at Rohnert Park. ;-)

Dennis David

#14 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,610 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:42 AM

They're modifying the crap out of those things!! Why not just establish some simple rules and build them?

Tim,

I'm with you on this one.

I kind of get the point of the bolt-together car... until you start modifying, especially when it requires soldering.
  • Tim Neja likes this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#15 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,800 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:31 AM

Ryan knows our cars! No contest with that bolt crap!! He's got good cars to run against them!

#16 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:45 AM

I kind of get the point of the bolt-together car... until you start modifying, especially when it requires soldering.

Note - No soldering done on the above Scholer chassis. They do run quite will and can compete head-to-head with the scratchbuilts that we run at STR which are inline hinged with .790" rears and .750" O-ring fronts. Both run the same motors - Deathstar or Pro Slot 16D. The Scholer shown above is for our GT1 class. That happens to run a Hawk 7 - Other Scholer-based classes use the 16D type.

The pans are custom-cut but bolted on.

Tim, it is hard enough to get new folks into the hobby with Production chassis. We simply don't have enough population to draw from in Roseburg to find guys who are interested in scratchbuilts.

If I lived in Socal I would be racing hardbodies with you guys at BPR but when in Rome or Roseburg... You have a great core group of guys running hardbodies. I follow Keith's reports each month.
  • Tim Neja likes this

Rich Vecchio

#17 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:07 AM

Ryan does have good cars but I can beat him in Slot.it and Scaleauto so I'll take up the challenge. No need to call them crap however. I like both types and am an avid follower of Keith's efforts. Keith is the man! If I was down your way I also could see myself racing D3, especially now that you've added sports cars. I would love to do the same in Rohnert Park.

The bolt-on chassis remind me of Lego and R/C cars so there is always an appeal to me. Scratchbuilding is more of a slot car thing that takes us back to our roots. Apples and oranges.

Dennis David

#18 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:20 AM

Just a side note, I have not seen the Slotfabrik cars run in person but I do have direct knowledge of German engineering in other hobbies, and you underestimate them at your peril. Those guys are serious hobbyists. ;-)

Dennis David

#19 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,539 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:41 PM

[Climbing into my pulpit...]

Why do some people continue to look down their noses at bolt-together chassis? Scratchbuilding is really tied to slot car racing's roots but most of the slot car racing world outside of the US looks at it as being old fashioned. I wonder where R/C would be if all the cars were scratchbuilt from brass and steel rod?

Reminds me of the front-engined roadsters prior to the rear-engine cars showing them the future at Indy.

It seems the old "my slot car is better than your slot car" mindset is still applicable (on multiple levels, mind you) and that's too bad, as the model car racing hobby is almost certainly too small to survive being polarized in so many directions.

Short sermon... just five sentences.

• garyvmachines likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#20 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:00 PM

Could not have said it better myself. ;-)

FYI I just ordered two Retro chassis and hope to build some myself based upon get some kits. Will be joining the NorCal series. That being said I'll still be drawn to the bolt-on chassis but their expense and the fact that most come from Europe will always be limiting factors. I'll contact Fola about building me a D3 beater. ;-)

Dennis David

#21 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,800 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:25 PM

It's NOT looking down my nose!! My comments are about how EZ it is to BUILD a simple scratch built chassis for a LOT LESS then these bolt together monstrosities!! And they will handle BETTER!! It's silly to have an erector set when a few pieces of piano wire and brass will make a great chassis to go just as fast or FASTER!! 

And I was one of those 1/12 scale chassis designers for Associated that made all their chassis with a dremel tool and carbon fiber sheets!! Those designs didn;t come from "cad" drawings and computers!! Someone sat down with a dremel and a small drill press and made cars that WORKED!! :) :)

Ask Art Carbonel!!! :)

#22 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:40 PM

We have to accept the fact that in this day and age there are people who wouldn't know which end of a soldering iron to grab. I can't tell you how many long time racers I have to solder lead wires and pinions for. If it wasn't for the multitudes of chassis builders out there putting out quality equipment, Retro racing would not be where it is today. So instead of soldering irons and Dremel tools some have taken to nut drivers and Loctite.

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
    Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

"... because people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook."
    Richard M .Nixon, Nov 17, 1973

"Fool me once, same on... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again."
    George W. Bush

#23 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,800 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:57 PM

Here's a simple chassis I built today using nothing more than pliers, brass, a Dremel with a cut-off wheel!! Nothing difficult about what's here – anyone can do this! If you're able to figure out how to bolt all that stuff together, you should be able to bend and solder wire! It's just a matter of doing it and your process gets easier with every one you build!  EZ stuff, and fun to do!! 

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG

• Jim Lange likes this

#24 James Wendel

James Wendel

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:47 PM

Well, Rich, looks like this thread has been hijacked and laid to waste by the "my way is better" crowd". 

'Tis a pity that. :bomb:

You can't always get what you want...

#25 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:16 AM

And why? There is more than enough threads on scratchbuilding. Why can't people have threads on other aspects of the hobby?

Dennis David

Electric Dreams Online Shop