• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:00 PM

"Flotsam and Jetsam"

I like Jet Sam. Flot Sam not so much.

• Half Fast likes this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
    Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

"... because people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook."
    Richard M .Nixon, Nov 17, 1973

"Fool me once, same on... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again."
    George W. Bush

#52 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:30 PM

Ask Mike Swiss about flotsam. ;-)

Dennis David

#53 Arne Saknussem

Arne Saknussem

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:58 PM

The way I've been putting it for years, Michael, is that in the slot car hobby, especially the 1/24 commercial raceway segment, there is no one providing leadership, focus, and direction.

For better than two decades, I have compared and contrasted the 1/24 raceway industry/hobby to other just as frivolous leisure-time activities (hobbies) to try to identify the factors that brought visibility, stability, and respect to those other hobbies.

The absence of some sort of entity providing leadership, focus, and direction is the glaring difference between slots and the more-successful others. (And my apologies to those who have tired of hearing me say this. However your disgust at my repitition of this claim doesn't make it any less accurate.)

It's absolutely accurate.

The problem (IMO) is the typical raceway owner.

• Cheater likes this

Pete Varlan

60 years a slot racer

#54 nicky 65

nicky 65

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:12 AM

I heard a really bad story yesterday

While I was at Zeppelin raceway in Wayne NJ, the owner Lou tells me a story about a customer who comes in and says to Lou, "You're not going to like me any more, because I'm opening up a raceway about 20 minutes away. Lou tells him..." I welcome it, it promotes business."

A few weeks later the same guy comes in and says the town wont approve me... they think it will bring kids with a bad element. Lou tells the guy I will personally go and speak for you and let them know its great for kids and promotes attention, etc.

Well long story short... Lou helps the guy open up. But he won't do any Birthday parties, because he is a born again Christian and they don't believe in birthdays. So he closes in less then two years.

The guy was doomed from day one. How he thought he was going to make money is beyond me. He just cut his business in half. We all know that parties are a major money maker in the raceway.

Not too smart.

• Joe Mig likes this
Nicholas Traina

Buzz-A-Rama forever in our hearts
RIP... Buzzy and Dolores

#55 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,338 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:19 AM

There's no relationship between being a born again Christian and not celebrating birthdays. The guy was just a kook who didn't know how to run a raceway, but didn't want to hold birthday parties in his.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#56 Michael Jr.

Michael Jr.

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:03 AM

In all fairness, there are some that feel honoring people on birthdays isn't directed in the Bible so they don't. Others sing only psalms because they feel hymns are written by men. Some forbid musical accomplishment because no instrument is mentioned in the NT. This isn't a theological forum to debate such things but we ought to be charitable to the man who may in fact hold a strong conviction. He may not... but until we know otherwise we should let him live it out however it impacts his track.

As for myself I'm closed on Sundays. And will see main closed on Sundays. Money is to be made on Sundays but my conviction is I should remain closed.

We all have convictions of one sort or another. Even if those convictions are to something other than God.
  • NSwanberg likes this

Michael Cannon

Upstate Speedway

100 McMillian St.

Spartanburg, SC 29303

#57 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,338 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:15 PM

The original statement made in post #54 is not accurate, regardless of what that individual raceway owner may or may not have believed. The only thing factual mentioned was the guy didn't hold birthday parties in his raceway and it closed in less than two years.

The rest is hearsay verbage told third-hand (the raceway owner to Lou to nicky 65) here.

Bill Fernald

#58 Les Boyd

Les Boyd

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:24 PM

I was trying to figure out which "born again Christian" group did not believe in birthdays? Must be some far out group. Sounds like something David Koresh or Jim Jones would say.

Sorry I got off track.

#59 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,338 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:48 PM

Les, Google indicates it could be the Jehovah's Witnesses, but they're a non-Christian cult.

Now back to the raceway lists. :tease:

Bill Fernald

Electric Dreams Online Shop