#1 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:25 PM

Fellas,

Does anyone have any photos of LUGNUT Raceway that was located at a framers market on Rt. 309 in Pennsy ? They had I believe 5 slot car tracks including a dragstrip AND a large carpeted plywood oval for RC cars.

Peter J. Linszky
6/30/54-6/27/22
Requiescat in Pace

#2 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:24 PM

Was that located in Hatfield PA?  Some of the guys at Fast Tracks in Bechtelsville might be of help. I remember the name but was never there

"Whatever..."

#3 Jens Scale Racing

Jens Scale Racing

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:26 AM

Pete,

I participated in the 25th anniversary Nats at Lugnut in 1995 with the Pros. 92 entrants I remember. I was second to P.A.Watson in Qualifying, 1/1000 sec behind. And: the first time ever, that more then 20 racers ended under the 2 second barrier in qualyfying. He raced our new chassis, MSP did it and Martin Gramann as well. And we had new magnets in our motors. Mike Swiss helped with unbelievable arms, PA with perfect Jet tires. Martin won, Ciccarello second, MSP 3rd in myself 4th. What a race!

I have some pics out of my photobook, and yes, they built a secong Blue King for practice immediately before the big event. They installed this Blue King during one night!

They had a very nice HO tracks in the first floor(upstairs). And they had a RC, but I can't remember where it was.

We had a lot of fun with "the big red" Andy Wassermann and others. One of my best races ever together with lots of nice guys.

Enjoy the pics here: http://www.jens-slot...1995/index.html

lug3.jpg

• Pete L., Half Fast and Tim Neja like this
Dieter "DJ" Jens
JSR gallery

#4 Uncle Fred

Uncle Fred

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:28 AM

They held the 1995 Nats there.  It was the last time Div 1 and 2 were run at the same time.  I remember a great overhead photo of the place the cover of the Bulletin with coverage of the Nats in it.

Fred Correnti

#5 old & gray

old & gray

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:31 AM

I remember Lugnuts. I was there for the NATS but I was there for the NY USRA and the Tristate USRA I remember a king, a cobra, and a LTD tracks. I won my first wing car race on the Cobra at the Tristate. There should be photos in the early Slot Car Bulletins covering the NATS. 

Bob Schlain

#6 Uncle Fred

Uncle Fred

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:35 AM

I ran GR27 in a field of 98 entries.  The Main was run 9AM the next morning after racing all night. Oddly enough, owner Ray Anderson told me he lost money on the event and eventually moved to the Hatfield location.

Fred Correnti

#7 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:13 AM

Dieter,

Thanks for the great photos ! What a large crowd, they make the place look small even though it was huge. I remember going to the track one weekends and buying all sorts of different clear bodies from their "wall of lexan", from floor to ceiling, from end to end nothing but clear slot car bodies.....and racing equipment, from soup to nuts !

Thanks again,

Pete L.

Peter J. Linszky
6/30/54-6/27/22
Requiescat in Pace

#8 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:24 AM

Ah yes! 98 entries and they said slot car racing was dead in the 1960's.

We need some more of that now.

Cheers

• Pete L. likes this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

#9 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:28 PM

When ray closed the second location he beat a lot of people who loaned him vintage stuff he had on display Beat me for an rc car and a couple of old chassis.

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#10 Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:34 PM

Tom Norris and I spent several days there for the 25th Anniversary race.  I ran a scale car, I15 and GP27.  Didn't do too well but had a great time.  The one thing I remember most is eliminating the I15 National Champion Mickey Johnson for the second year in a row.  Don't cha just love it when a Independent racer gets one over on a Factory racer?  Not gloating just enjoying the memory with extreme prejudice.  After all memories are all many of us have left.  There is a Slot Car Bulletin out there with the full coverage of the event.  I have one somewhere. 

It was located in Montgomeryville, Pa. at the time of the 25th Anniversary race. 

Fred Younkin

#11 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,658 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:23 PM

The one thing I remember most is eliminating the I15 National Champion Mickey Johnson for the second year in a row.  Don't cha just love it when a Independent racer gets one over on a Factory racer?

What factory did he race for?

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#12 Uncle Fred

Uncle Fred

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

Fred, I would occasionally race against you and Tom back then.  I BQed in 27 for that race..........that is Bottom Qualifier.  I won the first heat in the Sub Sub Sub Sub Consie .  At least I got to go home early....

Fred Correnti

#13 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:42 PM

Tony,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to I recall seeing one of your HO sized brass/wire chassis necklaces in their hallway showcase.

Pete L.

Peter J. Linszky
6/30/54-6/27/22
Requiescat in Pace

#14 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:26 PM

Yup stole that a chassis of mine PDL had and Joel johnsons 1/12 nats winning rc car. A real jack ***

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#15 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:57 PM

Bill, others

Would it be safe to say that slot car racing enjoyed a second "GOLDEN AGE" in the 1990's ?

Peter J. Linszky
6/30/54-6/27/22
Requiescat in Pace

#16 Uncle Fred

Uncle Fred

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:14 AM

I'll allow that.

Fred Correnti

#17 Steve Ogilvie

Steve Ogilvie

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:39 PM

Pete,

I participated in the 25th anniversary Nats at Lugnut in 1995 with the Pros. 92 entrants I remember. I was second to P.A.Watson in Qualifying, 1/1000 sec behind. And: the first time ever, that more then 20 racers ended under the 2 second barrier in qualyfying. He raced our new chassis, MSP did it and Martin Gramann as well. And we had new magnets in our motors. Mike Swiss helped with unbelievable arms, PA with perfect Jet tires. Martin won, Ciccarello second, MSP 3rd in myself 4th. What a race!

I have some pics out of my photobook, and yes, they built a secong Blue King for practice immediately before the big event. They installed this Blue King during one night!

They had a very nice HO tracks in the first floor(upstairs). And they had a RC, but I can't remember where it was.

We had a lot of fun with "the big red" Andy Wassermann and others. One of my best races ever together with lots of nice guys.

Enjoy the pics here: http://www.jens-slot...1995/index.html

lug3.jpg

Actually , I installed that King in one night .Some of the racers helped put it together and I think Jim Punnet came down with me . But it was there for the whole week .That was our demo track that we used for events for about 3 years . We also built the King track that Lugnut held the pro races on .Lugnut was an amazing place , the biggest raceway I ever saw . Nice to see these pics , thanks for posting them .    

• Rick likes this

Electric Dreams Online Shop