Photo

The Raceway List returns - will it stay?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:27 PM

Since I hid the Raceway List from view, I've spoken to a number of people in the hobby about the feature and have considered at length what to do with it.

Because there is no reliable source of the info necessary to create the entries, the List can only work as a cooperative effort and the level of cooperation received over the last decade is insufficient to maintain it as an accurate reference. 

There have been several stand-out List contributors as well as a few owners and other members who helped. But a recent review of the entire list found almost two dozen entries that needed to be deleted (a couple were my fault), some as old as 2008 and 2009. Almost 15% of the entries had to be deleted.

To recap the situation: the distributors could make this very easy, but they consider their customer lists to be proprietary info. Few raceway owners have publicity (even when it's free) on their to-do lists at the begining or at the end, and unfortunately many aren't "connected" and/or don't even know about Slotblog. The racers and raceway customers to the greatest extent just want to race and play at their local track and don't believe an accurate list of raceways is worthy of their notice or time. So I have to question whether it is worth my time as well.

I've discovered that the most active users of the Raceway List at Slotbog are in the "trade," i.e. those who stand to benefit the most from such a reference. While a stand-out few support Slotblog in various ways, the majority do not and that's disappointing.

For me, the bottom line in terms of retaining the Raceway List long term is whether it can become a more accurate reference. If that doesn't happen, it will likely go the way of Freeblog.

I'll look at it again in a year or so.

• NSwanberg, Samiam, Tim Wilkins and 1 other like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:49 PM

Thanks for your efforts, Greg, in maintaining the Raceway List. Not an easy chore and requires input from the entire slot car community to keep it up to date and accurate.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#3 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:20 PM

That doesn't sound too promising. Great. Is it possible to make it featured content available only to subscribers and advertisers? At least that way you can make people pay for the content.

Dennis David

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:35 PM

Making the Raceway List visible only to subscribers and advertisers was indeed considered, and while that might help Slotblog, it wouldn't do much for the overall hobby.

• Matt Sheldon likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:46 PM

Think of Slotblog first and let the hobby take care of itself. Start thinking more of premium content, everybody is doing it. Make race reports featuring car info featured content, maybe select builds.

Dennis David

#6 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,317 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:05 PM

We already got the premium 1/24 and 1/25 scale content here, 1/32 scale not so much. But HRW and SCI have premium 1/32 content, if that's what you want to seek.

If commercial raceways fall by the wayside, as some people think, you won't have premium 1/24 content or the need either.
Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#7 CoastalAngler1

CoastalAngler1

Outlaw Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:07 PM

Copy paste now - you'll have them to post as memories like the old slot car magazine ads.  :to_become_senile:

• garyvmachines likes this

Charlie McCullough

Charlie's Speed Shop

Kelly Racing Wanna Be

#8 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:53 PM

Premium as in subscriber only content.

BTW,

HRW and SCI don't have anything on the level of a Pablo or Fowler build article.

Dennis

Dennis David

#9 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:24 PM

I understand, Mr. David.

I just have wished to avoid taking that path if at all possible.

Gregory Wells

#10 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:36 PM

Greg, you run the danger of following the commercial raceway path and not running your website as a normal business. ;-)

Dennis David

#11 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,317 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:47 AM

HRW and SCI don't have anything on the level of a Pablo or Fowler build article.

I think you need to spend more time looking at what they do have. One thing is, they have most of the 1/32 racers. :laugh2:
Bill Fernald

#12 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:25 PM

True but most are home racers/collectors rather than builders. Slotblog is the best site for builders and those interested in the history of the hobby.

Dennis David

#13 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:00 PM

The sad part of it is that Slotblog is one of the very few forums that respects all forms of the model car racing hobby/sport equally. Most of the rest "specialize" in narrower niches.

I'd love to have more 1/32, HO, wing car, etc., stuff posted at Slotblog, but I can't generate it myself.

• NSwanberg likes this

Gregory Wells

#14 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,317 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:36 PM

Greg, you forgot 1/43 scale. Both manufactured and scratchbuilt cars are run. It's not currently real big, but it's a growing market. :)

Bill Fernald

#15 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:24 PM

I did indeed forget in this thread, but there is a 1/43 forum at Slotblog, as I am sure you know.

Gregory Wells

#16 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:09 PM

Greg,

In an effort to give you a glimmer of hope, I updated my listing with some pictures from tonight, so the info couldn't be fresher.

Chicagoland Raceway - Westmont

Feel free to tune them up as needed.

Thanks for the temp pulling of the Raceway List. I sorely needed some updated pics.

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#17 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:06 AM

In PM'ing a member about some body ads, he remarked, "Since my local track has closed, these are now surplus as I have nowhere to race them."

"What track," I inquired.

Slot Car Mania in Roanoke, VA.

So I go to Facebook to see if I can confirm the raceway's closing and initially didn't see anything, no closing announcement, hours of operation still listed, etc. But when I dug into some of the older posts, I discovered via that SCM had closed in late February or early March.

Sure seems like the Raceway List at Slotblog is of little importance to the vast majority of participants in the hobby, if for over four months not a single distributor, raceway owner, or racer bothered to let me know so I could remove the Slot Car Mania entry.

What I am trying to figure out is why it is important to me if it isn't important to virtually anyone else? I must be mentally ill... to keep beating my head against the wall.

Gregory Wells

#18 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,317 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:01 PM

I'd replace the wall with a pillow. :dash2:

Bill Fernald

#19 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:01 PM

The latest frustration regarding trying to keep Slotblog's Raceway List current...

One of the great members who does assist in keeping the list accurate sent me this today:

"April 1, 2016 · 

This Sunday will be the last points race at Flying W Hobby.

For those that don't know already, Scott and I have decided to close the shop. There are many factors and reasons behind the decision and if I were to go into detail this post would be a mile long. So, I'll say that it basically came down to time and money for the both of us. I feel defeated but at the same time I know that I did the best I could with what I had and I still believe that Desoto County needs a good hobby shop."[/size]

And of course, I deleted the Raceway List entry for that shop in MS immediately.

So, it took more than a year and a half for me to learn that a hobby shop with a small oval track had closed.

Sure, there are a lot of valid reasons for why it took so long for the word to get to me, but the shop was buying its parts from somewhere. Wouldn't you think a slot car distributor would have some tiny vested interest in helping to maintain in a current and accurate raceway list? If you think that, I can assure you that you are wrong.

One interesting aside is that there is one slot car distributor who comes to Slotblog every day (his statement to me) but he only goes to one place: the raceway list to see if I have discovered a shop unknown to him so he can try to add them to his customer base. It sure would be nice if raceway info flowed in both directions...

Just more illustrations of the level of dysfunctionality of the commercial raceway "industry" in the US, folks.

Gregory Wells

#20 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:21 PM

I can't hold my tongue any longer. After hearing of a raceway planning to open in Mississippi a couple years ago, namely "Charlie's Garage," in Pearl, Mississippi, I took it upon myself to keep my fellow racers in Alabama and on Slotblog of its progress on a continual basis over the course of about a year. I did the right thing by informing the owner that Slotblog is a great website, and offers free listing on its raceway list. I was never "pushy" at all - it's just not in my nature.

In the end, all I got was royally pissed upon, and even got a "fantastic"  :bad:  phone lecture from the owner about the "proper way to start a raceway." :shok: So I know firsthand what it feels like to try and help someone, and come out of it sucking my thumb.  :diablo: :dash2:
A few racer friends and I visited after they opened, and the owner watched college football on TV while we tested our cars on his brand new tracks.  ^_^

I say, free raceway listings for professional raceways like Tom Thumb, Port Jeff, Chicagoland, etc., and make the "open today, closed next year" amateurs pay a fee for it.

Paul Wolcott

#21 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:34 AM

Thinking a little more I would only list those Raceways that want to be listed or have racers that want them listed despite the owner which i've always thought a little strange. And to the hell with the rest.

Bill it as a recommended Raceway List or even charge a nominal fee.

Dennis David

#22 Superbird

Superbird

Cast your magic spell my way. I promise to go under it.

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:20 AM

Reading the posts from Cheater and Paul Wolcott I have complete sympathy with those hoping to promote the hobby only to come away feeling like a door mat once in a while. My Manta Ray Newsletter has the idea of promoting slot racing in the Northern AL-Southern TN area and keeping folks abreast of various tracks, clubs and activities. Generally track owners (commercial and clubs) are great guys and very welcoming but they are human beings in what equates to a cottage industry. Most track owners depend on a local crowd and don't give much thought to promoting a clientele outside their immediate area.

It can be frustrating to keep a current listing when tracks open and close so often. Thank goodness there are new tracks opening up these days! Yes! It happens all the time!

I feel the Slotblog Track List is a valuable resource and needs to be kept even if it can't be perfect. Slot racers who have been around learned long ago that there is no perfect directory and they need to CALL BEFORE YOU GO!

Pete

• Cheater, Pablo, Half Fast and 2 others like this
Pete Shreeves

#23 John Carter

John Carter

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 05:07 PM

Racetrack update:   New slot shop opening!

Hidden Valley Speedway in McDonough, Georgia

Four tracks;  Drag and road course

Call 770-914-9567 for details

• brnursebmt, Rob Voska, Alchemist and 3 others like this

#24 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 04:01 PM

I'll have an entry for John's new place added to the Raceway List soon.

• Rotorranch likes this

Gregory Wells

#25 Alchemist

Alchemist

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 11:31 AM

For me, I find it exciting to hear of a new raceway opening up - no matter where that might be.

Greetings and welcome John - Thanks for sharing!

Ernie

• Tim Neja likes this
Ernie Layacan

Electric Dreams Online Shop