39 replies to this topic

#1 mcrracer

mcrracer

Backmarker

• Member at Peace
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:39 AM

I was moved to starting this thread after reading the thread about prices guys were asking for used tracks. I appreciate input from everyone although I am more interested in what current and former track owners have to say.

I have owned 10 raceways over the past 30 years. I have purchased used tracks, new tracks, and have built several myself. I know many of the past and current track builders and consider them my friends.

I am currently considering opening one more raceway. My concern is that given the current slot car raceway business model, these businesses at best make a limited amount of money over a very short term. Of course there are those exceptions to the rule... Port Jeff, Mike Swiss's track, Shontell, Buena Park, and I am sure there are a few others I have missed.

One issue in trying to make money with this business is spending as little as possible when opening up. Which brings me to tracks. I regularly check the blogs, Craigslist, and eBay for tracks and pricing and see what to me seems to be crazy high asking prices.

Now I have checked with many of the track builders for estimates and those prices seem to be awfully high as well. I know what goes into building tracks as I have built several including drag strips. It seems like guys are pricing their tracks at a high hourly wage. I don't think that is fair to a raceway owner, especially a new guy with "pie in the sky dreams" who has not done his due diligence.

There must be a way that these new tracks can be built and sold for less money. This is my opinion but I do not want to start out $25k to $40k in the hole on just tracks. I would like to hear from track builders as well.

I for one don't want to see slot car racing go away. I am back in Virginia Beach, VA, and there are no tracks within two hours driving time that I know of. I would love to put one up here once again.

Can I get your guys opinions and thoughts?

Marlon Reed

8/31/56 -11/8/20

Requiescat in Pace

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,592 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:50 AM

Well, I recently asked one well-known track builder what rule of thumb he used for quoting prices. The answer was $105 per foot of lap length. This would be a painted, braided track only, no power supplies or lap counting system included.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#3 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:05 PM

Just my opinion here but I think a fair price for a used large eight-lane track like a King or Hillclimb is in the $3k-$4k range depending on condition and what is included with it.  For a smaller four-lane track in the 75-90 foot range probably more like $1k-$2k range.

Jay Guard

IRRA Board of Directors (2022-Present),

Gator Region Retro Racing Co-Director (2021-Present)

SERRA Co-Director (2009-2013)

IRRA BoD advisor (2007-2010)

Team Slick 7 member (1998-2001)

Way too serious Retro racer

#4 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:14 PM

The guy building the track should be entitled to a wage that is equal to his craftsmanship. We are not talking about a routed four-lane home track with a lap of 60 foot or so and copper tape. An eight-lane commercial tracks with braid that is smooth and easily assembled, with up-to-date wiring is definitely usually built by a craftsman. That skill should be worth $30-$40 an hour or close to it. Maybe more than I think! This is a self-employed guy that works in his own shop (with overhead), has no health insurance, vacation, or retirement. He does have a great skill, though, that the majority do not have.

I have no idea what a new track would cost. I can only imagine the King track Gary built in Tenn. to really be expensive and you also have to pay for the guy to travel and install a new track. It is not the track builder's fault that the economics of a slot track business are upside down. You can't expect him to work for nothing because it is a bad business model.

My take... a used but in decent shape track is easily worth $5-$10k. I see lots of tracks that look like great deals to me. It is a buyer's market for most of these white elephants.

• Joe Mig and olescratch like this

Matt Bishop

#5 PCH Parts Express

PCH Parts Express

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:17 PM

New tracks can be financed on your credit card. And there are other ways to finance business equipment.    

Don't be put off by high asking prices on used tracks. Make an offer. Some sellers are unrealistic. Be polite. Move to talk with the next seller.

The lumberyard prices for MDF and plywood are not any lower than 10 years ago. 

Builders of fine tracks need to justify their time and talents or they may switch to an alternate way to earn money. 

Scott Salzberg
PCH Parts Express

#6 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,833 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:24 PM

Well, there's a reasonably priced King and orange tracks for sale in the tracks for sale section in Texas. Grab a trailer and go get them! :)

• olescratch likes this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#7 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:41 PM

Used tracks like anything else in the marketplace is driven by the market. What someone is willing to pay and what the other party is willing to sell it for. 

The deal killer that I observe from the stands on a lot of these "orphan tracks" is the location of seller and location of buyer. Typically they are very far apart. Compound this with the requirement to move a track like a King it is a large cubic volume of stuff. The freight rates themselves should be relatively low due to the commodity (fabricated wood structures), but how they are packed and shipped can hold the key to that. One could easily spend in freight what the negotiated price of the track is.
  • Michael Jr. and mcrracer like this

#8 PCH Parts Express

PCH Parts Express

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:11 PM

I am back in Virginia Beach, VA, and there are no tracks within two hours driving time that I know of. I would love to put one up here once again.

What price and type of track would you like to buy? Are you maybe thinking $900-1,500? Or maybe $1,500-2,200?

Scott Salzberg
PCH Parts Express

#9 mcrracer

mcrracer

Backmarker

• Member at Peace
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:12 PM

Most likely four-lane tracks 50 to 90 foot lap length. Maybe up to $2k. I am in Virginia so West Coast tracks are not feasible due to shipping costs.

Marlon Reed

8/31/56 -11/8/20

Requiescat in Pace

#10 Racer36

Racer36

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:14 PM

I bought my 110' hillclimb from Brian at Ogilvie slightly used in 2008 for $5,500. I sold it for $2,800.00 in 2011 and was happy to get it based on the interest at that time. I would agree that the price on a used Hillclimb should be in the $3-5K range these days.

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#11 Michael Jr.

Michael Jr.

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:26 PM

One could easily spend in freight what the negotiated price of the track is.

This is exactly a situation I have this month. I have made arrangements for a track I really want to bring to SC but shipping has become a deal breaker.

I need a 30+ foot trailer... cheap!

Michael Cannon

Upstate Speedway

100 McMillian St.

Spartanburg, SC 29303

#12 Joe Mig

Joe Mig

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:35 PM

Most likely four-lane tracks 50 to 90 foot lap length. Maybe up to $2K. I am in Virginia so West Coast tracks are not feasible due to shipping costs.

This might be for you.

Four-lane slot car track
Joseph Migliaccio. Karma it's a wonderful thing.

"Drive it like you're in it!!!"

"If everything feels under control... you are not going fast enough!"

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

#13 PCH Parts Express

PCH Parts Express

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:52 PM

That is a great idea. Unfortunately the track is located in CO and the buyer is in VA. It is more distance than this buyer wants to ship a track.

Scott Salzberg
PCH Parts Express

#14 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:33 PM

Nice track though.

Dennis David

#15 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:46 PM

If you know how to design a track in AutoCAD, or a simlar program, just take the file to a specialty woodshop, and have them CNC one for you. Here's a few photos of one my friend built using this method. The shop specialized in custom-built store displays.

Here it is before the walls went on. Every piece, even the sidewalls, was CNC cut.

FTW-2.jpg

FTW-1.jpg

And here's the finished product, a 90 foot punchbowl!

FasTrack-1.jpg

I haven't talked to Mike in a while, so I don't know if he's built any more tracks like this, or not.

• Steve Deiters likes this

I am not a doctor, but I played one as a child with the girl next door.

#16 mcrracer

mcrracer

Backmarker

• Member at Peace
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:55 PM

Great idea!

Hmmm... How much would it cost me for someone to layout two four-lane tracks in AutoCAD? I have people who can help with assembly, paint, wiring, and braiding.

Marlon Reed

8/31/56 -11/8/20

Requiescat in Pace

#17 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:19 AM

I always thought CAD/CAM was a path to less expensive and/or the manufacturing of "kit" tracks.  Looks like Mike P's photo demonstrates that concept.

As an adjunct to that I also wondered why those technologies haven't been used coupled with 3D printing used to produce new body molds of new bodies. Wouldn't it be interesting to see what a true scale reproduction of TI22 body would look like or other CanAm bodies of the era? Just thinking out loud.

• TG Racing likes this

#18 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,592 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:18 AM

I admit to not having done the research to confirm this, but I think most accurately-scaled Can-Am bodies would be too small for the chassis 'platform" typically used in 1/24 slot racing.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#19 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:27 AM

Cheater,

Speaks volumes ex post facto.........

#20 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,638 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:23 AM

There is a 5 lane figure 8 on ebay right now for $2100.  Too small?

"Whatever..."

#21 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:40 AM

I always thought CAD/CAM was a path to less expensive and/or the manufacturing of "kit" tracks.  Looks like Mike P's photo demonstrates that concept.

As an adjunct to that I also wondered why those technologies haven't been used coupled with 3D printing used to produce new body molds of new bodies. Wouldn't it be interesting to see what a true scale reproduction of TI22 body would look like or other CanAm bodies of the era? Just thinking out loud.

Wasn't Mike Swiss's McLaren M7 F1 produced from a CAD/CAM design and printed with a 3D printer? I would like to see some more of  this.

Cheers

• Steve Deiters likes this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

#22 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

I think it was and what was prompted my comment.  Would love to see a CanAm car produced by one.....

#23 Michael Jr.

Michael Jr.

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:15 PM

Here is another track that apparently can be shipped from CA for $156. That's a little confusing but it sounds good if it's possible.

https://www.ebay.com...tm/172104758225

Michael Cannon

Upstate Speedway

100 McMillian St.

Spartanburg, SC 29303

#24 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,773 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:22 PM

Except the price.

It's comically high.

• mcrracer likes this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#25 Racer36

Racer36

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:09 PM

Even more comical when I do the exchnage to Canuck bucks!

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

Electric Dreams Online Shop