• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:00 AM

This month our meet was at Gene and Jennifer Braham’s Motown raceway. These guys work hard at their business and are strong proponents of Retro racing. This month we had a mix of a few stalwart traveling racers and several Motown locals who have become strong followers of Retro. We had Ted Essy, Gene Braham, Dave Cummerow, Jerry Wilson, John Mohrle, Eldean Huntington and Kevin Webster who are all (mostly) Motown guys. We also had Randy Keil, Richard Matthews, Jim Fowler, Russ Toy, and John Wilbur who all travel the circuit regularly. As always, Kathy Wilbur deserves our great thanks for volunteering to race direct all day and for keeping husband John in line.

We started with Can Ams on the hillclimb track and this was just the first example of how hard it is to beat the Modestoids on their home track. In the past a 34-35 lap heat has been the goal and a total of around 275 has been usually on on the podium. We ran a conventional rotation and I started out with a good 35 on the difficult (for me) purple lane for a one lap lead. There were several cars that were fast enough to win this race and it could have gone any which way. I caught some gear damage early in the second heat and lost several laps fixing it. Meanwhile, Ted, Jerry, Gene, and Dave were all running really strong and consistent heats while John Mohrle, and Eldean were running a tad faster than Randy and John Wilbur though the middle heats. This turned out to be a pretty rough race and John snapped a guide dropping him out of contention and Eldean succumbed early to handling issues. Going into the last few heats, Jerry had a great average but had a couple of really rough heats with traffic. Dave was staying out of trouble but so was Ted and he was running clean as well as fast while Gene was running fast but not that clean. At the end, the traffic did Jerry in just enough and Ted earned a good win with a fast 277 lap total just edging out Jerry by track distance.

1-SCR%20feb-16%20001_zpst0hwv7bg.jpg

1-SCR%20feb-16%20002_zps1qo2iwsh.jpg

L-R: Dave Cummerow (builder Fowler)  Ted Essy (builder Essy)  Jerry Wilson (R-Geo by Fowler)

1-SCR%20feb-16%20003_zpsnustn68e.jpg

1-SCR%20feb-16%20004_zps04aycjjm.jpg

We stayed on the Hillclimb for our rocket fast anglewinder coupe class. We had nine racers so we ran a center six rotation with four minute heats. John Mohrle has owned this class here of late but this time out, Ted and Jerry were going to have something to say about the results. I have had good cars in this class here in the past but this time, I was a non factor from the start. Early in the race, John, Ted and Jerry all turned some 50-51 lap heats. Any of those three guys might have won this race but Ted had a snapped guide that dropped him many laps down. Dave and Russ both had good cars but both struggled with handling at times and assorted glitches. Randy Keil put in a solid showing with no major issues ending up fifth. I managed fourth and that was just all I had. Ted was fast enough to win but couldn’t claw back from the guide problem and he wound up third. Either Jerry or John could have won this one but in the end, John held on for a two lap win.

1-SCR%20feb-16%20007_zps7ego3cnh.jpg

1-SCR%20feb-16%20008_zpsl8bchi0w.jpg

Jerry Wilso (Fowler) John Mohrle (Fowler)  Ted Essy (Fowler)

1-SCR%20feb-16%20009_zpsl7uvqyse.jpg

1-SCR%20feb-16%20010_zpskzvfiwoq.jpg

Our last race of the day was for F-1 cars on the twisty Korkscrew which is a 90’ bullring of a flat track. Gene has worked hard on the power for this track and it is a tic faster than in the past. We had nine racers so we again sttled on the center six rotation for the race. Early on it was evident that there were three really fast cars in the mix. Ted, Jim and Gene were all in the mix right from the start. In the past a 50 lap heat was rare. On this day it was fairly commonplace among those three cars with 51 and 52 lap heats showing up.

I started my race with a mundane 48 while Gene was flying but wrecking a lot while Ted sat out. Gene settled down with a 50 in heat #2 while Ted rotated in with a 50. I ran a 51 on the normally slow white lane right before I rotated out. I got to watch Ted and Gene go at it tooth and nail for the next several heats while they each ran off several 50 lap heats. John Mohrle was the fastest of the rest while Randy, Russ and John Wilbur were all tussling with local ace Dave Cummerow for positions. Right before I came back in, Gene had an intermittent controller issue that eventually caused him to drop out.

I came back in with four heats to go and ran 50 very comfortably while dodging slower cars all around me. With three to go, I had to average 50 for a tie and of course do one better for the win. I thought that I could do that pretty easily but my confidence only lasted about 20 laps of the next heat. I had a very bizarre lash up with a couple of lapped cars that caused unrepairable damage and just like that….I was done. Ted cruised in for an easy win over John Mohrle while Dave, Randy, John W and Russ followed, each within a few laps of the other.

1-SCR%20feb-16%20012_zpsj8rqtuxz.jpg 

John Mohrle (Fowler)  Ted Essy (Essy)  Dave Cummerow (Fowler)

1-SCR%20feb-16%20014_zpsj62y46e8.jpg

1-SCR%20feb-16%20015_zpsmsngmylt.jpg

Thanks go out to Gene and Jennifer for their untiring support of Retro, Eldean and Kevin for helping out much of the day when not racing, Dave for doing the race set ups and Kathy for her excellent work as race director.     

• team burrito likes this
Jim Fowler

#2 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for the report Jim. Sound like the racing was hard fought with all the snapped guides ;-)

Dennis David

#3 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:03 PM

Yes, hard fought for sure. Beating the Modestoids on that hillclimb is a tough order by itself. Add in the fact that there are quite a few blind spots, and it's even more difficult for the occasional visitor. The blind spots tend to snakebite the locals just as much as the rest of us so.........sometimes you're good......sometimes you're not.

• Richard Matthews likes this
Jim Fowler

#4 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:28 AM

Jim, thanks again for a great series. These races are easily the most enjoyable that we participate in. We are all aware of the windshield/bug situation and deal with it in different ways, but I don't think I have seen so many snapped guides in a long time. Off now to repair my stuff.........

David Cummerow

#5 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,658 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:51 AM

What is any one brand that was snapping?

And in any one place on the guide?
(post,blade or around the clips)

Was it cold outside and/or in the raceway?

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#6 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:32 PM

Mike:

I don't know what brand this guide is. I took this off of a car that I was tuning for one of the guys, and he broke two (I think) of them this day. There were others as well but I can't say what they were running. Personally, I tend to run the Parma Blade and almost never snap one. I did take enough hard hits that if it was gonna happen, it might well have done so Sunday.

I think all the breaks were post shear offs. It was cool inside the building but not exceptionally so

1-DSC02218_zpsftdzng3v.jpg

Jim Fowler

#7 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,658 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:41 PM

I think that's a JK.

There was a bad run of them.

Some say, if it's low humidity, the guides will snap even easier, from lack of moisture.

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#8 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:01 PM

Good info Mike I didn't know about that bad run. Thanks.

Jim Fowler

#9 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:25 PM

My next NorCal car

Attached Images

• image.jpeg

Dennis David

#10 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,359 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:39 PM

Why not super glue a length of .047 or .039 piano wire in the middle of the post going down into the blade?

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#11 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:54 PM

I didn't break any guides Sunday, but I quit using the "purple guides" a few years back after breaking several. I've never tried the JKs either. It is pretty common for racers to snap them if they go straight into the wall at the end of the bottom straight.

David Cummerow

#12 Richard Matthews

Richard Matthews

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:16 PM

I think there is an "Evil Spirit " in the turn before the lap counter, Dave , John and others, fun racing with you.

• boxerdog likes this

#13 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:30 AM

Most of the Evil Spirits were at the control panels!

• JimF and Richard Matthews like this
David Cummerow

#14 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:52 PM

The joking and evil spirits comments all tend to remind me of how much fun most of us have when we go to Motown. The racing is rough.....sometimes really rough........and we all break stuff sometimes. Yet.....it is really fun because ATEOD the fun aspect is more important for most of us than the results. Heck, my F-1 car was for sure gonna be a factor at the end of the race.....fersure! But I drove into a totally weird wreck that caused terminal damage. The damage was so strange, that for a while, nobody could even figure out how it happened. The Hillclimb has it's demons and the little bullring has others.....s'all good.

All the non Motown regulars know that we are gonna get spanked when we go there (especially on the Hillclimb) but we still go and take our lumps. This seems to me to be one of the more appealing aspects of Retro for our little Nor-Cali group. For sure, we fall outside the mainstream in some areas of product acceptance etc. that's all good with us, 'cuz FTMP.....we like it the way it is. 

Jim Fowler

#15 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:01 PM

We all have fun because, for the most part, we accept the fact that you can easily be the windshield or the bug on any given day. After you've been there and done that enough, you can enjoy yourself. Jim and Gene had easily the class of the F1 field, but stuff happens. The Hillclimb has demons, and the Korkscrew is very easy to drive on and very hard to race on, at least for me. 

I'd like to reciprocate and travel more to Rocklin and Rohnert Park. It would allow those guys to return the punishment. I have just gotten spoiled and lazy and don't like the road trips as much as I used to...and we have a track close at hand as an option. We got to watch Daytona and race slot cars, all we are lacking is food nearby.

David Cummerow

Electric Dreams Online Shop