• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:17 PM

OK, so I actually made myself get after it and finished my new RetroPro in time for tomorrow's race. Due to the angled nature of the main rails, I don't think this one can become a parralelogram; I'm sure it can become something worse, but probably not a parralelogram.  LOL   I took a couple of y'alls tips to heart in an effort to prevent launching. I mounted the body more forward than usual for me, and I cut out air vents up front to try and relieve air pressure under the body(Hershman confirmed it was OK). Anyway, here's a couple pics while it's still new; tomorrow evening, it may not look like this any more:

Attached Images

• New RP 042216 2.jpg
  • New RP 042216 3.jpg

• S.O. Watt and Samiam like this
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#2 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:19 PM

Looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#3 FVracer

FVracer

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:20 PM

Looks good Richard. Hopefully it's as fast as it is good looking. What does it weigh?

Diana Dyckman

#4 S.O. Watt

S.O. Watt

Graduate Bench Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:16 PM

Yup, why I went to my original tripod back in '85, I was tired of bending P cars.

Nice

Tom Hansen
Our Gang Racing Team
Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Chassis By Hansen

I race and shop at Pacific Slot Car Raceway

#5 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:17 AM

Looks good Richard. Hopefully it's as fast as it is good looking. What does it weigh?

It weighs 99.5g. It survived the race intact; yay! It would "bump" going over the bridge on the center lanes but it was a very stable, small bump. I'm going to credit the stability there and no hint of launching to those two tips I was given... moving the body forward and cutting vents up front. Thanks! The only thing I can to to make one lighter would be to use thinner brass up front; I went with .062 on this one for strength. If I use .032 on the next one(whenever THAT will be), I might get under 95g. One big reason my cars are so heavy is my liberal use of solder; I sacrifice some speed for strength. The car was a tad looser than I prefer, possibly due to the body being moved forward(?). I was using some pretty soft tires, green Alphas... they measure 10 on my durometer. Anyway, I hung on and snagged a 2nd place finish, the motor going downhill in the last heat(maybe a hung motor brush).

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#6 FVracer

FVracer

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:36 PM

Richard, great job with a brand new car. I'm sure you'll tune it as you go along. As I believe you've said before it must be more gravity in Texas. I tried building a light weight RP and it came out at 94 g, a full 8 g heavier than Ken's. I used .032 brass for the nose piece so I think your prediction on weight reduction is right on. I need to try the cut out vents as well. For the next race I'm going to go up for Thursday practice and waste time on Friday when they're closed and then race on Sat.

• Tex likes this
Diana Dyckman

Electric Dreams Online Shop