• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KTM300

KTM300

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 10:20 AM

Four laps from a practice run at Cahuilla using my new Garmin Virb XE helmet cam with GPS. The lap data is great.

Mike Chavez

#2 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:12 PM

Nice video,its funny but my youth was motocross and slot cars lol.

Making MX videos sure has come a long ways since Crusty Demons of Dirt that is for sure.

That lap counter/GPS unit is nice,we would have killed to have something like that back in the day.My friend was always faster so i used to pit for  him at the big races,he actually won Loretta Lynn's on 125's 

Buds Creek was pretty much my home track for years and if I told you who we used to ride with I doubt you'd believe me but the kid was smoking us on his 80 the first time we met him.He soon after went to 125's and I got hurt and then my friend.After he lost his sponsorship we faded out of the scene but it was still a great time.Years later I dont feel so bad telling people that I almost got lapped by a kid on a 80 when I was on 125's and a 250 because that kids name was Travis ;)  Although back then he really sucked the wind out of our sails that is for sure.

Robert Fothergill

#3 KTM300

KTM300

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:02 PM

Well I'm no youngster and I get smoked by those little 80's and 100's all the time.I race with SocalOTMX which is Old Timers Motocross and I'm in the 50 Intermediate class.After six races I'm winning my division so that's cool.Next race is in Lancaster California this Sunday.I still like slot cars just have not done much with them lately.

• Robert BG likes this

Mike Chavez

#4 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,359 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:33 PM

Good to see you around, Mike. You built some interesting & unique D3 slot cars when you raced at BPR. I'm not interested in motocycles, but I enjoyed watching your video.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#5 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:56 PM

Mike,they would surely run circles around me now too.But the kid that beat us was Travis Pastrana,considering my friend was the amateur national champ on 125's at the time we were shocked to get beat so bad by a 13-14 year old on a  80.Although as soon as we saw him race though we knew he was going places.We probably rode with him a dozen or so times down there before he made it big.

Robert Fothergill

#6 garyvmachines

garyvmachines

Race Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 04:33 PM

Cool I wish we had a camera like that back when I raced Karts !!!

GAV  

Gary Vogeler
12/9/60-8/29/20
Requiescat in Pace

#7 KTM300

KTM300

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:35 PM

I have not had this camera very long and it was not until this practice ride that I knew how good the GPS data could be.I usually make videos of the races for my club and post them on the club website but now I can use the data for real testing and making improvements to my lines and the bike.Like in all forms of racing lap times are extremely valuable.Just today I tried a new exhaust pipe on my bike and went back to the same track I rode yesterday and the videos are being uploaded as I type this message.I'm kind of excited to see the results.

Mike Chavez

Electric Dreams Online Shop