2 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,548 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:31 PM

Not only is Jay Leno one of the rare people who has been almost completely uncorrupted by fame and fortune, he's by all accounts a genuine car enthusiast who really knows his stuff.

I'm convinced that much of his commentary in these Jay Leno's Garage features is unscripted and ad-libbed; Jay's knowledge of cars and automotive history is at the very highest level and he doesn't need writers to produce these shows for him to regurgitate.

This Cord feature has one of the few errors/misstatements that I've ever heard Jay make, in his comments regarding the Startix system. By the time Cord installed this system on the 810/812 cars, it had been in use by multiple makers since at least 1932, so it really wasn't an innovation then. The Startix worked great, but because it automatically restarted the engine if it stalled, on a manual trans car you had to have the presence of mind to quickly push the clutch.

Hope I can meet Jay in person some day.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:41 PM

If you ever make it out to LA to see SL's collection maybe we can make an appointment to go see Jay's place... I know it's not to far from the Nethercutt Museum since they're both in the San Fernando Valley.

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#3 Bob Kolenda

Bob Kolenda

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:52 AM

One of the cars that I work on and take care of is a 1937 812 Cord supercharged phaeton. I have worked all of the bugs out of it and it is one of my favorite cars to take out for a drive.

The 810 and early 812 models were equiped with the Lockheed brakes and the later cars were equiped with the better Bendix brakes that were self energizing and required less pedal force. This car was only three serial numbers from getting the better brake system. It requires more pedal pressure to stop so I keep a close eye on the cell phone distracted drivers that just pull out in front of me.

Other than that it is an amazing car to drive with plenty of power, throttle response and that cool supercharger whine when you are accelerating. I may hunt down a set of the Bendix brakes and box the early brakes for storage as this would make this car the perfect package.

Electric Dreams Online Shop