3 replies to this topic

#1 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:11 AM

The new Florida Slot Car Series had a huge turnout for it's inaugural race event at Bill Pinch's track (TheRaceway.biz) in Melbourne, Florida. We had 65 total entries in 3 car classes. This car count was way up from 2016 (46 entries) and 2015 (39 entries). Great start to the new year!

Group 2 JK Indy Cars & 4" NASCAR:

The Group 2 racers started the day off by running on the short oval with their JK Indy Cars and 4" NASCARs. For the JK Indy Cars, three local racers took the podium with the fastest being David Frerichs with 398 laps. David was followed by Bob Rondinone and Steve Bowman.

FSCS 2017 Group 2 JK Indy Car Race Results 1-14-2017.jpg

Left to right: Bob Rondinone, David Frerichs, Steve Bowman

FSCS 2017 Group 2 JK Indy Car Podium 1-14-2017.jpg

For the 4" NASCAR class, Rollin Isbell must have decided to use some muscle and powered his way to victory lane. Rollin was followed by Bob Rondinone and Jack Latulip. I think that this is Jack's first appearance on the podium at Bill's track. Congrats to all who braved the short oval.

FSCS 2017 Group 2 NASCAR Race Results 1-14-2017.jpg

Left to right:

Bob Rondinone, Rollin Isbell, Jack Latulip

FSCS 2017 Group 2 NASCAR Podium 1-14-2017.jpg

Group 1 JK Indy Cars:

The rest of the racing for the day was conducted on Bill's 145 ft hillclimb. This is a great track and is very fast but also a little tricky. The car count for this group was high enough to run 2 mains and combine the lap totals after both races are completed. Jay Guard showed everybody that he can handle the pressure of the fastest home track racers to win this race by 2 laps. Congrats Jay. In second place was Ken Green and 3rd was local hot shoe Dennis Demole.

FSCS 2017 Group 1 JK Indy Car Race Results 1-14-2017.jpg

On the podium, left to right: Ken Green, Jay Guard, Dennis Demole

FSCS 2017 Group 1 JK Indy Car Podium 1-14-2017.jpg

Group 1 4" NASCAR:

For this car class, we had 15 total entries, so once again the field was randomly split into two mains.  This was a close race right up to the last few seconds with Doc Dougherty winning by 1 1/2 laps over Dennis Demole. Marcus Ramos completed the podium.

FSCS 2017 Group 1 NASCAR Race Results 1-14-2017.jpg

Left to right: Dennis Demole, Doc Dougherty, Marcus Ramos

FSCS 2017 Group 1 NASCAR Podium 1-14-1027.jpg

Group 2 JK LMP:

Rollin Isbell made it two victories in  row by claiming the JK LMP race. I think that Rollin had a wire to wire victory, winning by 6 laps. Steve Bowman got another podium finish, as well as, Jack Latulip. I think that this was the first time that Jack raced on this hillclimb. Well done Jack and congrats to everybody.

FSCS 2017 Group 2 JK LMP Race Results 1-14-2017.jpg

On the podium: Steve Bowman, Rollin Isbell, Jack Latulip.

FSCS 2017 Group 2 JK LMP Podium 1-14-2017.jpg

Group 1 JK LMP:

The final race of the day was the JK LMP race for Group 1 drivers. We had 13 entrants here. So we broke this car class into two mains.

After combining the two race results, Dennis Demole was the overall winner with 229 laps. 3 laps back was Brian Ambrose. Nathan Pickett rounded out the podium. Nathan just wanted to get his picture taken. :)

FSCS 2017 Group 1 JK LMP Race Results 1-14-2017.jpg

On the podium, left to right: Brian Ambrose, Dennis Demole, Nathan Pickett

FSCS 2017 Group 1 JK LMP Podium 1-14-2017.jpg

Overall, it was a great day of racing. We had great participation from all 3 tracks that are involved in this years series. I want to thank everybody for coming and I hope to see you all next month at P1 Raceway.

• Jay Guard likes this
Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#2 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:47 PM

Also, I would like to make a few shout outs.

First one to Ray Lee who is in Florida from Massachusetts.  Ray only saw the track about a week ago and told me that he has not raced flexi cars for maybe 5 years. I think he raced very well and was competitive.

Second one to my buddy Dennis Demole who podium finished in every Group 1 race and won the LMP race. Congrats Dennis.

Also, a shout out goes to another buddy, Rollin Isbell, for getting into the victory circle twice during this inaugural event. Congrats Rollin.

Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#3 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:34 PM

Also, I would like to make a few shout outs.

First one to Ray Lee who is in Florida from Massachusetts.  Ray only saw the track about a week ago and told me that he has not raced flexi cars for maybe 5 years. I think he raced very well and was competitive.

Second one to my buddy Dennis Demole who podium finished in every Group 1 race and won the LMP race. Congrats Dennis.

Also, a shout out goes to another buddy, Rollin Isbell, for getting into the victory circle twice during this inaugural event. Congrats Rollin.

Thanks ..... I could definitely tell that I haven't raced much the last year or so.  I got a little dizzy the first couple of heats in the JK Indy class on the tri-oval before I kind of got my bearings.  And my finger and wrist are pretty sore today.  Dang, even my wrist is out of shape.  :)

Rollin Isbell

#4 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:46 AM

Nice race report Doc, Thanks!

It was a day of great close racing and from what I could see everyone had a lot of fun.  Looks like the new FSCS series is off to a great start!

And finally a big THANKS! to Bob Rondinone and track owner Bill Pinch for their excellent race directing.

Jay Guard

IRRA Board of Directors (2022-Present),

Gator Region Retro Racing Co-Director (2021-Present)

SERRA Co-Director (2009-2013)

IRRA BoD advisor (2007-2010)

Team Slick 7 member (1998-2001)

Way too serious Retro racer

Electric Dreams Online Shop