• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,832 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:40 PM

This a great resource for any builder and interesting reading for the vintage enthusiast. Although the magazine article is dated Jan 1973 with magazine lead times of the day we are talking about mid to late 1972 here. In the continuing "End Bell Saga" you will note that Lee is using a "Big Bearing" end bell that still requires the shims to center it in the can. I wondered about this until I recently saw a British export B-motor with the big end bell bearing. Mystery solved.

I hope you enjoy the article as much as I do. Gota go now. I need to dig out my copy and build some motors!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#2 proptop

proptop

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:27 PM

Thanks Rick...great stuff! Informitive and entertaining.
I got a lot out of it...including eyestrain :lol:
Think I need glasses though...been squinting thru the whole article :)

Lee Gilbert has a certain writing style, aye?! 8)
I especially like that last little bit...the quote from Bill Steube Sr.right at the end... :)

Tom Hemmes
Insert witty phrase here...

#3 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,832 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:07 AM

Glad you liked the article. I know the pictures are kind of small. I sized them to 640 pixels wide. I think that's what they want on the forum????

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#4 Foamy

Foamy

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:10 AM

some nut with a weird car that passes yours down the straight

Is he callin me a nut? :shock:
Dennis Hill

"Just once I want my life to be like an '80s movie,
preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason."

#5 orangecrate

orangecrate

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:05 AM

Alot of these articles are timeless, even if they were written 30 - 40 years ago can still use the information. I also model railroading and have bought many of the model railroad magazines from the 60's, 70's, 80's etc. The articles are timeless and to see what the prices were back then. I had alot of issues of the slotcar magazines from 1963 to 1967, my mom threw them out while i was in the service. Thanks for posting this article on motor building.

Orangecrate
David Schneider
Nothing like slot cars

#6 proptop

proptop

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:47 PM

Don't think it's the size of the pics Rick...I think it's my orbs. Oh well... :roll:

Ya know, the talk in the article about magnetic flow and can design is something that has interested me for a long time.

I look at some of the new thong :P style cans and wonder just what the flow is like in or thru them? I know that they're obviously going for light weight, but is that at the expense of optimum magnetic flow pattern around the arm?

I don't know exactly what I'm talking about here, but I'm pretty sure you know what I'm trying to get at...

I know a little about magnetic flux lines and eddy currents, etc. but I wonder if there is a site or animation somewhere that could illustrate what actually (invisibly) happens when a single phase D.C. slot motor runs?

Tom Hemmes

#7 MarcusPHagen

MarcusPHagen

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:09 PM

Don't think it's the size of the pics Rick...I think it's my orbs. Oh well... :roll:

Ya know, the talk in the article about magnetic flow and can design is something that has interested me for a long time.

I look at some of the new thong :P style cans and wonder just what the flow is like in or thru them? I know that they're obviously going for light weight, but is that at the expense of optimum magnetic flow pattern around the arm?

I don't know exactly what I'm talking about here, but I'm pretty sure you know what I'm trying to get at...

I know a little about magnetic flux lines and eddy currents, etc. but I wonder if there is a site or animation somewhere that could illustrate what actually (invisibly) happens when a single phase D.C. slot motor runs?

Back when my real job involved programming computers that used magnetic tape, you could get a liquid which contained very small metal shavings. It was used to show the actual "bits" on the tape when you couldn't get the drive to read the info but really needed to know -- or were just curious! I've always wanted to do something like that with a piece of glass and a slot motor. You could take pictures of the force lines in various dimensions. I'll have to see if I can find that stuff. It was a LOT finer than regular metal chips from a hacksaw, but I suppose that could work as well. Just so you keep the metal on the glass, and out of the motor.

Marcus P. Hagen -- see below, my five favorite quotes: applicable to slot cars & life in general.
[ "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.". . Daniel Patrick Moynihan ]
[ "Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its students.". . . . . . . . Hector Berlioz ]
[ "There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness." . . . . . . . . . . . Dave Barry ]
[ "Build what you like to build, they are all doomed." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Prof. Fate ]
[ "The less rules the more fun. Run what you brung." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Larry LS ]

#8 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 12:50 PM

Hi

So, you never had a "Fun with magnets" set?

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#9 proptop

proptop

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:11 PM

Never had a "Fun with Magnets" set but I did have one of those things where you put the "hair" and mustache, beard on the bald guy? :lol:

Marcus...that sounds like an interesting idea...putting a motor (running and/or not running) under a sheet of glass and sprinkling iron or steel filings to see what the pattern is :!: 8)

Rick...sorry man...don't wanna hijack the thread...I'll clam up now :)

Tom Hemmes

Electric Dreams Online Shop