• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:16 PM

If I can't get a photo our collective memories and a good artist and old photos of as many of us and maybe I can make an illusion of what it was like at the track in the good old days.
Bruce Schwartz

#2 Uncle Fred

Uncle Fred

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:20 AM

As you entered the raceway through the front door on 260th St and looked to your left there was a Aristocrat 135' Hillclimb against the wall.  Straight ahead was the oft forgotten Regal 90 and behind that, against the far wall with a large window to the parking lot and exit door, was the King. To your far right was the counter. The Jones always kept the store clean and well stocked.

Fred Correnti

#3 Jaz

Jaz

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:16 PM

Can't forget the bench/couch next to the rear door back right that held Big Jim's keester.
All the real racers entered from that back door by banging on it!
  • Uncle Fred likes this

Jeff Morris

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over." Fud's 1st law of opposition

#4 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,936 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:58 PM

I remember the Hillclimb and of course the King but no recollection of the black track!! Gettin old!! :)

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#5 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:42 AM

Me, too.

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#6 Uncle Fred

Uncle Fred

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:43 PM

See... oft forgotten!

Fred Correnti

#7 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:10 PM

The hill was near the bathrooms and the coke machine,right where I used to get my cokes,then my pepsi,then my mountain dew,being there so many hours a day there,pepsi was more fizzy than coke,mountain dew was not my cup of tea, but out of board it was a change of pace.

The black track in front of the front was the first track I raced on with my brother in law the first time I went there with his midget racers,that's what hooked me,then I 1/2 cut my families lawn got $5.00 from my mom and went to the Clearview Pkwy and union take raceway to buy a $5.00 slot car kit (I never finished the lawn,sorry mom)

Can anybody remember the colors of the tracks and the configuration of the black track,and remember the showcases and where the race winning car showcase,and where Rick boltizar built the cars for us.

What happened to Rick boltizar?
Bruce Schwartz

#8 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:48 PM

As you entered the raceway through the front door on 260th St and looked to your left there was a Aristocrat 135' Hillclimb against the wall.  Straight ahead was the oft forgotten Regal 90 and behind that, against the far wall with a large window to the parking lot and exit door, was the King. To your far right was the counter. The Jones always kept the store clean and well stocked.

Fred in an old blog you said you had photos of Glen oaks raceway can you post them here it doesn't matter if the tracks aren't in the photos,maybe it will spark our memory cells,thanks.
Bruce Schwartz

Electric Dreams Online Shop