2 replies to this topic

#1 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:12 AM

Seven locals showed up to race Late Model NASCAR and Econo at STR on 6/26/17. The track was a bit loose but tightened as the evening wore on. That did not seem to be a problem for Bob who set a new total lap record in the Econo race.

Econo

Bob dominated the Econo race with his Chevelle turning a record setting 89.1 laps while others were at least about 4 laps behind. Bobs fast lap time of 5.188 seconds was nearly .2 seconds/lap faster than the nearest competitor. The race for other podium spots was between Joe, Rich and James. Of the three, Joe had the fastest ride, turning a fast lap of 5.359, nearly .1 seconds/lap faster than Rich or James. Joe managed to finish second with 85.3 laps. Rich ran a clean race to edge out James for the bottom step of the podium.

E_Results.jpg

E_Field.jpg

E_Joe.jpg

E_Ron.jpg

E_Nick.jpg

NASCAR

Wow, what a competitive race! Any one of the top five drivers had a chance for the win. Going into the final heat, Rich and James were both in the barn with 89.8 and 88.7 laps respectively. Joe rotated to white and needed a full 23 lap heat to overtake Rich for the win. Bob and Ron were tied at 65 laps apiece with no chance of outdistancing Rich but in the hunt for a podium finish.

Joe ran a fine last heat but fell short of the win by only one section His 89.7 lap finish was good enough for second place. Neither Bob or Ron were able to overtake James for third place. However the battle for fourth ended in a virtual tie at 87.6 laps. After some deliberation, fourth place was awarded to Ron (blue Ford). See the image below for the finishing positions of Ron and Bob.

N_Third.jpg

A few observations are in order. First, Bob gave the group a big break. In his first heat on the white lane, Bob was just cruising along turning only 20 laps (while the same ride turned 22 laps in two other heats and 23 laps in one heat). Also, looking at fast lap times Bob turned a fast lap on white lane of 5.417 while fast laps on other lanes were between 5.1 and 5.2 seconds per lap. Had Bob pushed the pace in his first heat, he would have challenged for or finished in the top spot.

It is also interesting to note that Joe turned the fast lap in each and every heat (see image below). A few offs kept him from finishing in the top spot.

N_Fast_Laps.png

N_Results.jpg

N_Field.jpg

N_James.jpg

N_Ron.jpg

]
  • James Wendel and Eddie Fleming like this

Rich Vecchio

#2 James Wendel

James Wendel

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:56 PM

Who was third?  Neither of those.... it was the #7 Zerex T-Bird    :D 

I was third, those two were fighting it out for fourth.

You can't always get what you want...

#3 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:42 AM

Who was third?  Neither of those.... it was the #7 Zerex T-Bird    :D

I was third, those two were fighting it out for fourth.

Ahh, you are correct. I have edited the initial post. I guess someone actually reads my race summaries!

Rich Vecchio

Electric Dreams Online Shop