• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 slotracer4

slotracer4

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:20 AM

Joe Dowers was a racer in the mid-'90s from Ohio. His father owned White Oak Raceway. Joe and I were teammates on Team Pro Slot. We raced the 1993-94 Ohio Valley Challenge Cup Series in boxstock, the premiere class of the series. We were wild and crazy teens back then but went on to finish one-two in the series, racing against some heavy hitters of the era. Although I never had the chance to reconnect with Joe as an adult, I have very fond memories of that kid. He was one hell of a racer as well.

Thanks for the memories and rest in peace "Smokin" Joe Dowers.

1993-94 team Pro Slot Midwest OVCC
Joe Dowers (left) Ricky "Junior" Bailey (right), Chato Mote (down low)

IMG_20170924_010548.jpg
Richard 'Junior' Bailey

#2 Bob Kurkowski

Bob Kurkowski

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:10 AM

Sad to hear of Joey passing. I enjoyed racing against Joey because him and Ricky were quick and always kept you on high alert. Remember one race they showed up with radio headsets on.

RIP

Bob K.

#3 slotracer4

slotracer4

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the kind words, Bob. Those were the days.

Joe was a outgoing funny kid. We used those headsets in two races, then Ron Hershman deemed them illegal. We could never hear each other though. It was my dad on a third one speaking to us. He was our team leader, spotter, and motor builder. When we travelled all over the Midwest those years we would stay at the Hampton Inn, Joey wore us all out one trip, every time we passed a Hampton, "Hampton's where the racers stay, Hampton's where the racers stay" over and over. As soon as he faded out with it, it seems like we'd pass another damn Hampton Inn and he'd start it all over again.

To this day, Every time I see a Hampton Inn I think of Joe. Very likable kid.
Richard 'Junior' Bailey

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:49 PM

Here's Joe's obituary from 2007.

Jow Dowers, cherished son of Cathy and Joe Dowers, loving brother of Jill Dowers, dear grandson of Bill Holcombe and adoring uncle of Jayla, passed Monday, February 26, 2007, at the age of 30. Joe had many dear friends and is nationally known for his passion and devotion for lowrider hydraulic cars.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 slotracer4

slotracer4

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:09 AM

The picture above was taken at Les Wright's place in Kentucky. And I keep it visible in my box to this day. I even kept the two cars I raced those years

Thank you, GW, for posting his obituary.

Richard 'Junior' Bailey

Electric Dreams Online Shop