31 replies to this topic

#26 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:16 PM

I think one of my web cams is spying on me.

Attached Images

• Webcams.jpg

Dennis David

#27 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:16 PM

Dennis,

This is very cool that you are doing this series. I have used SolidWorks to design up my Retro cars for over 7 years now. I used to just stay late and (with company permission) use the work software after hours. I see big advantages to working out the packaging of wire diameters and brass sheet thicknesses down to .001 without any math errors and I get to see the assemble-ability and assess the strength of the available solder "wetted areas" before ever cutting anything.

Also, I have a database of my (and other's) center-of-gravity locations ahead of the baseline "zero" plane of the rear axle and design the weight distribution of the pans to the range of numbers that work well, again, before cutting anything.

Then, when it comes time to cut, I make an "A" sized drawing (8 1/2 x 11 standard paper sheet) that arranges all of the parts including formed parts expanded out to a flat pattern (SolidWorks can make flat patterns when you start the part as a formed sheet metal part) and print it onto an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of address label, cut out the patterns, stick them to the brass and start cutting.

This is a lot of work (time) but it permits me to be "original" with my engineering ideas and not just copy everyone else. This has worked out really well for the years we ran every week in Longmont, CO because you can make most any chassis that is flat and square (built in a fixture) by just adding (or removing) weight to get the distribution right, then final tune with the wire rail diameters and tires for most any local track.

I have my own copy of SolidWorks Premium now and will start back in designing cars that way. I bought a new laptop computer from Dell in October that had the minimum specs for the RAM and graphics card to run SolidWorks for under $600. I have just finished a four month effort to design up the case and all the inner workings of a 5 speed transaxle for a VERY high horsepower Can Am reminiscent spec series race car - the are already assembling it and have the proper ring & pinion paste patterns so they are on their way! If it can do that, then it will have no problem designing slot car chassis.

I, also, have the 3Dconnexion "Space Mouse" you show and I have found that it can cut your design time in half for certain jobs so it is well worth the money. I think it would be a new paradigm for gaming for flying because you have to put on the mindset of doing to the black puck (on top) what you want the part(s) on the screen to do. You can zoom in and go around the back side of a part by manipulating the part and that same thinking would work for fly-by-wire for a real aircraft or to fly a drone. If you have one of these devices it is a worthwhile exercise to "bring the target to you" rather than "fly yourself to the target" but the final path "flown" would be the same.

I look forward to seeing the research you are doing on the CAM side of things (haven't read it yet, been too busy) but I can catch up now!

Keep up the good informational work. At least a small group (maybe many more) will get ideas about how they can get deeper involved in making parts that support their slot car racing or, better, become a supplier. Maybe one day most racers that show up will be hawking their wares to other racers!

Keep it in the slot,

AJ

• NSwanberg likes this

Sorry about the nerf. "Sorry? Sorry? There's no apologizing in slot car racing!" 

Besides, where would I even begin?   I should probably start with my wife ...

"I don't often get very many "fast laps" but I very often get many laps quickly." 

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one two three hands!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies, Longmont, CO (now at Duffy's Raceway), Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#28 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:11 PM

Thanks AJ for the kind words. I understand that some of this is a little out there for some of the more traditionalists but I was just talking to Nikos who is building my CNC Mill and he's working on a new controller that will allow for higher torque motors to be used on the x and y axis. This will increase my speed and feed rates and also allow me to use larger end mills when cutting aluminum.

I also have specs for the t-Slot extrusions that are used on the frame for my mill and will use similar extrusions for the enclosure.   

Dennis David

#29 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:43 PM

Rode USB michrophone for workshop videos and broadcasts.

Attached Images

• 80A2278C-6FBF-4984-A7E9-48CC89E34C25.jpeg

Dennis David

#30 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:01 PM

Pulling guard duty on a cold February is no laughing matter ... especially if you're a Mayan and only wearing a loin cloth. LOL

Dennis David

#31 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:50 PM

Setting up my YouTube Channel

Attached Images

• 28423081_10156240765062650_3532143281210848801_o.jpg

Dennis David

#32 vfr750

vfr750

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 11:51 AM

I recently bought an old Roland MDX-20 which runs with a Windows XP laptop. Would that Siemens software at the start of this thread work with such an old machine? I was planning to use Techsoft V2 which a friend uses but obviously I would prefer free software.

I know nothing about CNC or related software but should have plenty of time to learn due to Corona 19.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

John

John Roche
Galway, Ireland

The Devil made me do it

Classic Slot Car Racing Association

Electric Dreams Online Shop