Photo

Anyone have '60s-'70s slot racing trophies to show?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 philk

philk

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:02 PM

Our local track gave out cases of coke, drank em all, didn’t save any.
Phil Kreuter

#27 Highnoon

Highnoon

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:53 PM

Don’t know how I stumbled across this thread. I race at Parma and around the Midwest from 1964-1970 then my family moved to California so I could go to college. I couldn’t take my trophies with me so I sold them to a trophy place on pearl road were Parma raceway use to get here’s. I had 172 trophies and they gave me $1.50 a piece so that was enough for me to buy a car when I go to Lost Angles. I bought a 1963 Corsair Monza, three speed convertible, no top, gold spray can painted, foam thick wheel, and widened steel wheels, baby moons, lowered 2 inches by some Chino California low rider guy.
  • S.O. Watt likes this
Gary Cooper

#28 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:44 AM

That's a good trophy idea! In the Michigan HOPRA racing series, we had a "rotated" Best Marshal trophy, handed off to the next guy at the next race. It was the upper half of the old Frankenstein model kit (very "realistically painted, I might add) arms outstretched palms down (the way the model was intended) with an HO car glued onto the underside of the right palm! It was cherished, I think. It got passed on a number of times but we lost track of it.

• NSwanberg likes this

Sorry about the nerf. "Sorry? Sorry? There's no apologizing in slot car racing!" 

Besides, where would I even begin?   I should probably start with my wife ...

"I don't often get very many "fast laps" but I very often get many laps quickly." 

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one two three hands!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies, Longmont, CO (now at Duffy's Raceway), Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#29 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:37 PM

I found this thread again after a very old photo showed up at home, taken while still living in MI just before my wife and I moved to SoCal in November of 1980. I gathered my trophies together for the photo, then removed the place plaques to keep before donating the trophies to a thrift store to limit the bulk of moving. These were from racing MI HOPRA (as a teen) and some stuff from racing Gp 27 in Flint, MI, building my own scratchbuilt chassis in both HO and 1/24.

I was busy with life in SoCal (never racing in clubs or commercial raceways) but, being a dad and raising my kids, I felt compelled to CAD design and build up a very nice HO track so they could experience the fun but, alas, they preferred Mario Karts. 

Slot Car Trophies 80-1015 c s.jpg

The display on the table includes my Weller case controller, an RC stock car and other objects of my obsession.

Yes, that's a picture of A.J. Foyt inside the HO converted shoe box and a picture of the door of my 1:1 oval track race car in the Hoffman's box I still use here in CO at RJ's Raceway. The empty package of Erik cigars was in honor of Moose Carver, proprietor of Malibu Raceway in Inkster, MI. I still have the Westland HO Racing Association "red shirt" hanging on the box with some "tipped up" successful Gp 27 chassis.

• MSwiss and Roy Lievanos like this

Sorry about the nerf. "Sorry? Sorry? There's no apologizing in slot car racing!" 

Besides, where would I even begin?   I should probably start with my wife ...

"I don't often get very many "fast laps" but I very often get many laps quickly." 

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one two three hands!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies, Longmont, CO (now at Duffy's Raceway), Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

Electric Dreams Online Shop