10 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:22 PM

I have been playing with a magnetizer fixture I made utilizing grade N52 Neodymium Arc segments (link to the north segment https://www.kjmagnet...?prod=AY0X030-S) there is a south segment available too. This is similar to some of the zappers used by RC racers so it's not anything new just modified to accommodate slot car zapping.

I have charged and even reversed Hawk motors and some old box stock 15's etc. I have magentized un magnetized Samarium Cobalt segments with this tool as the N52 is a stronger magnet than SmCm mags. Prior to building a fixture to control these chunks of high power magnets I had some ceramics come flying off my work bench and shatter in the Neo arc so controlling how these are introduced to the magnet being charged is important.

Once I get some way to quantify the charge produced by this gadget I'll post some pictures and any improvements over the crude fixture I'm using now.

Try it, I am doing a lot of experimenting just to keep busy and there isn't any place for me to race. I have a small fleet of cars, motors etc. that I've built but will probably never see a track. I have some innovative ideas that may never see the light of day due to there being a trend out there that appears to anti progress or anti innovation.

Try the zapper idea I think you'll have fun with it.

Jesse Gonzales

• Chris Stemman, Tim Neja, airhead and 3 others like this

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,359 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:24 PM

Jesse, how long does the high-powered magnet have to be in contact with the magnet being charged? It's probably not instantaneous. so some timeframe is needed. Is this timeframe one continous time. of done in multitude of short bursts? Would you have a link to info on the RC magnetizers you mentioned in the above post? 

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#3 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:00 PM

A picture's worth a thousand words. :D

I am not a doctor, but I played one as a child with the girl next door.

#4 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:47 PM

Here is a link to one just to get you started, we have company right now so I'll amass more links for you later. https://www.rctech.n...net-zapper.html

#5 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:43 PM

Jesse,

Have you compared the gauss from a magnet charged by a capacitive discharge zapper and these neos?
David Parrotta

#6 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:54 AM

https://www.rctech.n...net-zapper.html 70075d1115741884-magnet-zapper-zapper.jp

I don't have any way to check the energy increase as yet. Was going to research and make one along with buying some film to see the field. More to Follow. Trinity made one also.

#7 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,359 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:45 AM

I have a Simco bought in the mid-70s so I really don't need another zapper. But I find this no-power technology fascinating & want to learn more. I wonder if any of the no-power units have been used enough to determine whether their powerful magnets degrade over time in use & might eventually have to be replaced. I also wonder what else may be in those heavy boxes pictured. Keep us advised as to how your version for slots progresses. I might become the modern competitor to the air core zappers on the market. But I sense the market is small.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#8 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:51 AM

If I can stick those neos on the outside of an Fk after soldering to get a quick bump in brakes you get your A55 I will.
David Parrotta

#9 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:27 AM

The one Trinity sold used a ring magnet off the high speed train in Japan.

You would put the motor into its holder and crank it into zapper. Once inside you rotate it left and right a couple times and it was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#10 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:12 AM

Thanks Tony, I was trying to find the image of the Trinity unit to show the guys. I bought two large ring segments to use in my experiment and am pleased with it so far. Done right this could give a small powerful magnet refresher the ability to be on everyone's workbench or box for about a hundred dollars, of course the cost depends if the guys will take the time to build one instead of buying one.

Jess Gonzales

• boxerdog likes this

#11 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 03:17 PM

Guys, I suspect that many of the big heavy boxes are using the much cheaper stacked magnet array to achieve a high field, I just bought two big chunks or the highest power Neos I could find as it's just money. After I've figured out if I can equal or exceed a charge on zaps on my Camen cobalt setups or Camen SmCo's I may go ahead and build a stacked unit to see how it compares.

I think the one I have would far out zap my old Simco that I sold to the Tucson gang a long time ago, that was a two beer can size cap unit.

Jess

• Geary Carrier and Steve Roope like this

Electric Dreams Online Shop