8 replies to this topic

#1 usadar

usadar

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 07:55 PM

Now we have been using short shaft Retro Hawks, since their 7R versions were alleged to be inferior.
When IRRA approved of using short shaft Retro Hawks, I thought it was just a temporary approval until JK improve the quality of their long shaft ones. Now we have been satisfied with the performance of the former RRRRRRRR(8) and the presen RRRRRRRRR(9) Short Shaft Retro Hawks. However IRRA had banned the short shaft Retro Hawks on the ground that they looked same as Hawk 7. I am qurious we will be able to continue to use Short Shaft Retro Hawks at IRRA. Personally I prefer Long Shaft versions because thir long shaft on the endbell side is useful to put devices for motor-dyno testing even after you install pinions on the other side.
Haruki Kan
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo on Facebook

Where do we go from here: chaos or community?

#2 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,637 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:06 PM

Speaking personally, I'm pretty sure the short shaft motors are here to stay.

Racers have been happy with their performance, and IIRC, JK Products has commented they are easier for their vendor to balance.

PS-I'm not even sure if there is such a thing as a long shaft RRRRRRRRR(9) motor.

• PCH Parts Express likes this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#3 bbr

bbr

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 09:28 PM

I've recently gone thru many short and long shaft retro hawks ... and it is easier to find a "good" one in the short shaft version

• PCH Parts Express, DOCinCanton and glueside like this
Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#4 Dominator

Dominator

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 10:09 AM

The "9R" versions have been great. I just tested 7 new ones Friday night on Modelville Hobby's G5 King and they ran between 4.17-4.22. Hard to get more consistent than that.

A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo
Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

#5 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,637 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 11:19 AM

A

Personally I prefer Long Shaft versions because thir long shaft on the endbell side is useful to put devices for motor-dyno testing even after you install pinions on the other side.

B

I've recently gone thru many short and long shaft retro hawks ... and it is easier to find a "good" one in the short shaft version

C

The "9R" versions have been great. I just tested 7 new ones Friday night on Modelville Hobby's G5 King and they ran between 4.17-4.22. Hard to get more consistent than that.

The answer to the obvious question, what is a bigger priority for the IRRA®, is B & C.

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#6 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 12:22 PM

For what it is worth I like the long shaft motors too. If for no other reason than they are easy to identify even from a distance.

That said I will take the short shaft multi R motors that run good every time.

I don't think the shaft length has anything to do with the performance.

If the short shaft is easier to balance or cheaper to manufacture so be it.

Eddie Fleming

#7 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:23 PM

IME....like most others, I've found the current "multi R" short shaft motors to be perhaps perhaps the best batch yet. Like Dom mentioned, I've tested maybe six so far and I really can't pick a "best" one b/c they are all so close. We can't count on every batch to be as good as the most recent but still.....SFSG.

So, the answer to the obvious problem of differentiation between the clearly faster Hawk 7 is not that hard. Require by rule that the motor be installed in the chassis with the engraved side facing down, and that the engraving must be intact and visible. This makes for an easy check at tech. This puts the positive terminal on the right so the positive lead is a straight shot forward to the guide which is what most will want anyway. Any motor with the engraving missing will not run.

When I modify the NCR rules for 2019 I will add these provisos

Jim Fowler

#8 Greg VanPeenen

Greg VanPeenen

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:45 PM

Jim,

Good plan. 

But there are people that can get the ends of those JK motors off and back on. Easy to just slip a brush plate and Hawk seven arm back into a dud short shaft Hawk Retro.

Sorry to say but true. Tim at JK had as good idea when he put a dab of special color changing stuff on them between the can and end plate at a hand out race.  

GVP

• glueside likes this
Greg VanPeenen
12/4/49-4/17/24
Requiescat in Pace

#9 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:38 PM

Jim,

Good plan. 

But there are people that can get the ends of those JK motors off and back on. Easy to just slip a brush plate and Hawk seven arm back into a dud short shaft Hawk Retro.

Sorry to say but true. Tim at JK had as good idea when he put a dab of special color changing stuff on them between the can and end plate at a hand out race.  

GVP

Geeeze. I wish you were wrong but I'm sure you're probably right. I'm thinking (probably hoping) that here in NorCal we don't have that issue. If we did, I'd probably just say "WTF and have a nice life. Y'all can run you're own series and good luck with it."

Jim Fowler

Electric Dreams Online Shop