82 replies to this topic

#76 Racer36

Racer36

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 04:43 PM

Rather than starting a new thread, I'll just ask this question here because it seems to apply to all Difalco controllers -- not only to the two Difalcos that I own, but also to the new Genesis 2 with traction control, that I tried last night.

Why do the bands get the "gritty" feel when you pull the trigger -- is this normal for all controllers of similar design?  I don't recall every seeing where Jim Difalco has mentioned this issue and how to cure it.

I found that a drop of VooDoo on the bands stops the gritty feel, so about once every 10 minutes or so, I put a drop on the bands.  This seems to act as a lubricate and works well.

I’ll post this again, as it likely got buried by now. 
to make your controller operate more smoothly, use nose wax......yes...nose wax.  Wipe your finger on the OUTSIDE of your nose and then smear said wax(sweat) on the copper bands. It works like a charm! I got this from Greg Fox and Bud Bartos....two old nose waxers from waaaaay back.

try it!

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#77 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 07:36 PM

It works.

Nose wax/oil

Eddie Fleming

#78 Phil Beukema

Phil Beukema

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 08:21 PM

Classy

"Line 'em up!"

#79 Racer36

Racer36

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:54 AM

Classy

That’s  why I specified the wax should come from the outside of the nose......keepin it classy.....

• Phil Beukema likes this

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#80 orangecrate

orangecrate

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 01:18 PM

I have the same problem with my controller and that I used a soft pencil eraser to clean the contacts and a smooth sweep. I also take a piece of index card and insert between the wiper contact and contacts to clean no abrasive material it will do more harm then good.

David Schneider
Nothing like slot cars

#81 Zack Morgan

Zack Morgan

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:03 PM

I have been using mine for a few races now. It is a great controller for the price point, and the braking ability of this over my previous controller is unbelievable. 

There may be even more trick stuff out there, but I feel you get a lot of performance for the money with this thing!

Zack

#82 Rotorranch

Rotorranch

What's a title?

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:01 PM

When I get bored with the same circuit board I change my soldermask colors. My 17 band design was blue and is now black. The black looks good but it hides the circuit lines on the PCB's. I have used a clear mask in the past so the boards have a copper color which looks good with black.

One of my favorite colors was my silver finish. This was done by first plating the entire circuit board with nickel then applying a clear mask to the surface. Usually the nickel is done after the soldermask only in the exposed copper areas.

Is it possible to order custom color boards? I'm kinda partial to blue.

Thanks.

Rotor

Jeff Chambers

Posted Image      Posted Image
                                         "Kinky Kar"

#83 Jim Difalco

Jim Difalco

Mid-Pack Racer

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:30 AM

Rotor, I have used blue many times in the past but ordering just a few in blue is not really an option. Racers did not love it when some of my new Genesis 2 controllers had a red PCB on the new bottom power unit with a green circuit board in the handle. That might have flown for a xmas special edition :), but generally racers like the colors to match.

I did just change my PCB manufacturer so I have a wider palette of colors they will use. I might as well tell you now that I will have some silver/gray circuit boards in the near future. I think the red,black and silver colors will look great together combined with mostly black and silver components. My new frames are also done in red or black instead of the greenish/yellow bare fiberglass.

Thanks for asking. I always like racers feedback on my products.

• Bucky likes this

Jim Difalco
Difalco Design
3075 NE Loquat Lane
Jensen Beach, FL 34957
(772) 334-1987
askjim@difalcoonline.com

Electric Dreams Online Shop