• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:34 PM

I spent most of Saturday at FTH setting up and testing. I'll post what conclusions I was able to reach below.

Race day: This is a four-race day with Stock Car on the flat track as our fourth race. Doors open at 9 AM, first race at 11 AM. We will tech two classes at once.

1st race = Can-Am on Purple Angel
2nd race = Pro Coupe on Purple Angel
3rc race = F1 on flat track
4th race = Stock Car on flat track

Testing and set-ups... both tracks were a little loose so times were not optimal. Dwight says he will re-spray both tracks today (Monday).

Can-Am and Pro Coupe on Angel = Got in very little time with these due to track being taken up with b-Day parties all day. No new or different suggestions for either car but...

Can-Am = 105-110 grams, 9/28 gears, Alpha BFH Pirahna or JK 8713 PP, Parma Lola T163 was best on my cars.
Pro Coupes = 105-110 grams, 8/38-41 gears depending on motor, Same tires as above, Parma Lola Coupe, JK Sunoco Lola Coupe or O/S Chevron all worked equally well.

Stock Car and F1 on yellow Dragon Flat track.

F1:
  • Weight (as always) was best at 115-120 grams. Weight placement for my preferences was middle to rear of chassis. Suggest nose weight only if nose lifts in key spots.
  • Tried 7/27 and 8/29 back and forth on several cars, 8/29 ran faster laps but 7/27 was easier to drive.
  • Best tires seemed to be any small hub natural (like JK 8703PP for example). Suspect that after re-glue, medium hubs (JK 8713 for example) will be just as good.
  • Ran Parma Matra mostly. Changed out for an Edge Lotus 49 on a couple but no change either way was evident.
Stock Car:
  • On most cars, weight was, as usual, about 144-147 grams. Weight was crucial on exit of donut and in the first downhill ess.
  • One brand new car ran very well at 132 grams. Something of a surprise that! Will probably add at least 5-7 grams to be on safe side.
  • With the slickish conditions, I found 7/27 to be easier and faster. With more bite, 8/29 will probably be better.
  • Tires were all over the map. Everything from 8713PP to 8763PP and even 8783 PP (and) 8783 PPW even worked a little.
  • I use Wonders quite a bit for these cars but they were a little slick Saturday. I think that the wonders may be a very viable choice on race day.
  • Tested the Parma Cyclone and the Parma "500" ('68 Charger) but no difference.
  • I'll have some new Stock Car bodies to test this week but I'm concerned that they'll be too thin. They won't be legal this race but I'll report findings (if any)
My current plans are to be at the track on Saturday the 20th for tuning or set-up help.
  • Tim Neja likes this
Jim Fowler

Electric Dreams Online Shop