8 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:32 PM

A work in progress, but as is most often the case, the most work is involved with getting to the point where you have workable setups.

All have bearings on both ends, with adapters and everything else involved with just that.  Then too, there was a bunch of flattening/straightening of the cans, and in the case of the  Cox(?) Mabuchi, I was able to get a 5mm bearing in the end bell by trying something a little different.  There was also an FJ13UO he wanted in "peanut style", so it got  a Mura end bell turned down and milled to fit.  Lotta work, and so far/so good!

IMG_3841.JPG IMG_3842.JPG

• slotbaker, Pablo, Jencar17 and 7 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 Jaeger Team

Jaeger Team

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:35 PM

Simply extraordinary. Especially the rare Cox tralslucent endbell.. and the 13UO with the milled mura endbell take me back to my roaring years...
  • havlicek and Geary Carrier like this
Maurizio Salerno

#3 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:03 AM

Thanks Maurizio,

I was waiting to see if anyone noticed that end bell, as I haven't seen one before this.  The material seems different from the usual black colored stuff, more like what the Mura is made from.  That's one reason I went for it and reamed the bearing pocket out to 5mm.  I also succeeded in leaving material at the open end of the bearing pocket for extra strength...something I wasn't at all sure would work.  

That Cox can had all kinds of crud and rust on the outside, and I polished the living daylights out of it just to get it to where it is.  Speaking of end bells, on all of them, except of course the Mura, they were drilled and the brush tubes set in a generous blob of JB Weld to key them mechanically to the plastic and provide a layer of heat resistance underneath. 

The Champion can also cleaned-up nicely, and required a lot of work too, but it came with the split-shim and proper magnets.  The end bell had no hardware and with no Champion hardware here, I had to take apart a Hong Kong end bell just for the hoods, but while I was at it, I added 36D brush tubes.

The generic Mabuchi is one of those that has the welded tab, and they have no drilling on either end for bracket mounting, so I drilled both ends and milled the bottom of the end bell so it doesn't sit proud of the can edge.

As with the Champion and generic Mabuchi, the "Peanut" style motor got a can bearing adapter, but I made it almost the width of the can I.D. so the can drillings are through the thicker adapter metal to give more purchase for mounting screws.  I cleaned the end bell plastic while it was disassembled as best as I could, and the dyed it red to freshen-it-up.  It got a nice strong set of ceramics epoxied-in after painting it "anodized purple".

I'm happy with the result of all this, now it's on to winding-up some arms.

• slotbaker, olescratch, Geary Carrier and 2 others like this
John Havlicek

#4 Jaeger Team

Jaeger Team

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:38 AM

[quote name="havlicek" post="762984" timestamp="1571392992"]

Thanks Maurizio,

I was waiting to see if anyone noticed that end bell, as I haven't seen one before this.  The material seems different from the usual black colored stuff, more like what the Mura is made from. 

Yep!
From PdL's old post:

"In 1967, Cox as well as other slot car makers, decided to part with Mabuchi of which pricing and arrogance had become simply too much, so Cox went to a company in Hong Kong that was already producing their RTR cars, and had a local supplier them make four motors, a 16D-size called 3600 NASCAR, another of the same size but without vent holes called Super NASCAR, and two more in the 36D size, called 3500 NASCAR and Super NASCAR. All had a chrome plated can and a black endbell, marked "Cox".
In 1969, the last issues of the 3600 (and only that one) received a translucent endbell of generally white-yellow color. This is the same endbell as before, marked Cox, but molded in a different material."
  • havlicek, olescratch and Geary Carrier like this
Maurizio Salerno

#5 Alchemist

Alchemist

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 01:11 PM

Hi John,

Another wonderful "buffet" of motors!

The plum/purple colored one is gorgeous !

Thank you for sharing John!

Ernie

Ernie Layacan

#6 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:56 PM

No...thank YOU Ernie!  :)

John Havlicek

#7 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:50 AM

Thanks Dave,

There's a pretty fair amount of work involved between shortening the can, fabbing the bearing adapter and then turning/milling the Mura end bell and fitting the magnets, but it's all more tedious than it is particularly difficult.  Like all these things though, some just come out a little nicer, and I think this IS a nice one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm with Ernie, the peanut is superb, I have always liked that design, and that one is exceptional!

• havlicek and olescratch like this
David Cummerow

#8 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:51 AM

Boy...SlotBlog is sometimes a very strange place.  I made the above comment as a reply to Dave...and it came out looking like Dave made the comment!?

• olescratch likes this
John Havlicek

#9 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 09:22 AM

Weird. 

David Cummerow

Electric Dreams Online Shop