• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:02 PM

Now that the cold has returned it's time to dig into the project pile. This Vette came in a pile of junk I bought that was under water from hurricane Sandy. 

IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

It's pretty crusty and there was no motor. I've been fiddling with different options and it looks like a 26D I have can be made to work without too much hassle.

I disassembled it today and here are the guts.

IMG_1583.jpg

I love America but hate this paint job. I am going to strip her down and repaint. Interior will stay as is. I want to do up the car 1970's street gasser style.Up high at all four corners.  I really wanted to do it gloss black but since much of the chrome was damaged I may go for the old drag car barn find look with matte paint. What do you think.

• slotbaker, mdiv, Alchemist and 2 others like this

Joe Lupo

#2 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:13 AM

Toss the Carrera chassis and motor. Roberto Martins put that body on an H&R chassis and has more fun with it that he ever had

with the original configuration. I did the same with one of the Carrera Ferrari SWBs. The cars run great together.

#3 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:47 PM

Thanks for the thumbs up so far. 

Dave, that would be the easy thing to do  :)

Those that know me know that I use whatever I have on hand to build cars. I pretty much save whatever I can. 

Here is a little more progress from the mock up stage.

Lower axle hole drilled for the gasser look. I may move the hole a sixteenth forward. I'll see how I feel.

I found some big meats in the bin but the rims are blank. I am cutting down some vintage model car mags as inserts. I will show these in a future post. I will have to make the rear tires fit as they are a smidge too big.

The scoop is a vintage model piece that captures the 70's look I'm going for. 

Sorry for the crappy pic.

IMG_1585.jpg

• slotbaker, Slot Car Rod and Samiam like this

Joe Lupo

#4 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:02 PM

Some more progress today. Please remember that these builds are not planned in advance. I figure them out as I go along. Converted so many kits,promos etc. Everyone is different.

I decided to go with this setup. Solid axle using the original bearings reamed out. I carved out the slots in the chassis to allow the axle to sit lower so the big meats don't rub on the body. They hang out of the body ala 1970's. Just like I drooled over on the cover of Chevy Power Magazine. Gears are out of the parts box and are both set screw type. 

IMG_1613.jpg

The Dynamic 26D was used for mock up. Wait, what's that on the bottom? Oh. it's a piece of Havlicek rewound candy that was in the motor box along with a Champion can with Arcos I had in there too. Can you say Screamin' Banshee  :heat:

IMG_1615.jpg

• Peter Horvath likes this

Joe Lupo

#5 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:13 AM

Moving along. Here she is stripped down. I never use brake fluid anymore but I had like 3 gallons in the garage from my shop days. You can see the classic metal can.

Besides I'm very cheap and did not feel like shelling out 15 bucks for some super clean. Paint job was not what I expected. Actually had 5 different layers. Oddly, some red came right of and some was very stubborn. Also did not realize it had white paint as well and this came of very blobby. Strange 

IMG_1616.jpg

Now my next dilemma. Went to a yard sale with my wife. Always had a great eye. I'm walking out and saying let's go theres nothing here. She says wait, isn't that Tamyia paint. I look over and there it is under a table. How much for the whole box she says. You want all of them? I was thinking $40 for all he says. They are like 8 bucks a can. 

IMG_1617.jpg

How about 20 for the box? OK, I guess so. And there you have it. What color should I use? There is some semi-gloss black in there that I have never tried but was thinking of using. What do you think. Some pretty nice colors in the bunch.

IMG_1618.jpg

• Samiam likes this

Joe Lupo

#6 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 11:13 AM

Some more progress. Here is the body ready for paint. I did not realize that the front signals were separate pieces.Thought they were painted. I'll finish stripping them and leave them clear. Nice little detail by Carrera.

IMG_1648.jpg

I decided to go with matte black as originally planned. Heres a couple coats of Tamiya semi-gloss black. Really pleased with the finish. Some semi-gloss paints just don't cut it. This is just two coats. Awaiting final sanding and coats. I'll wait until I have everything finalized with the chassis. It has a real sinister look to it.  :diablo:

IMG_1649.jpg

Now my next dilemma. I sanded the gloss off the roof to match the body finish. Just going to leave it white ( thanks Sam) as it would be just too much black. I am a Vette convertible fan. Had a few in my day. The interior is real nice. Tempted to cut the windshield frame from the roof and make it a vert.

This is why these damn things take so long. I always come up with another idea and more work.

What do you think. Should I go topless  :wacko2:

IMG_1651.jpg

• Slot_Grasshopper, Peter Horvath and Samiam like this

Joe Lupo

#7 NHBandit

NHBandit

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:15 AM

If you're going for the gasser look it needs a roll bar. I like the convertible look myself and many of the drag cars had no windshield at all. Check out these.. 

• Lone Wolf and Samiam like this

Mark Sturtevant  

#8 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 12:56 PM

Wow, bandit. Thanks for sharing. I just love those 70's paint jobs with the cobwebs,lace etc. Anybody remember Himsl & Haas?

Oh, and by the way, that hood scoop at 3:42 and 3:48 looks vaguely familiar  :)

• NHBandit likes this

Joe Lupo

Electric Dreams Online Shop