5 replies to this topic

#1 Shruska55

Shruska55

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:25 PM

I'm well away from my first Tuning Fork Chassis, but I've researching the various Scratchbuilding forums. Amazing artistry along with the engineering to go with it.

I bought a Precision Slot Cars wire bender along with my Tuning Fork jig anticipating that I'd have some bending to do as I gained experience and started to experiment.

With that assumption, my questions are these:

1) How do I create the bends for a set of opposing forks in a Tuning Fork chassis whilst keep the rails horizontally flat?

1a) With or without the PSC bender.

2) Do I want Symmetric(S) or is Asymmetric (A) bends depending on specific requirements?

2a) I ask this because I came into possession of a Cap Henry (CHR) chassis, numbered #68, that appears to have an Asymmetric (A) tuning fork.

From some of the interesting experimental chassis I've seen on the Forums, I'm making an assumption that using either S or A may be a function of the builder's desire to what the form, via testing on the track, would produce. Possibly a special purpose chassis build. Perhaps a specific reason to test the flex and/or torque/torsion exhibited by the chassis when under stress testing. This is probably a question for another time, but if anyone has thoughts on this at this time...

In the end, my first attempts at bending tuning fork sets from scrap have been abysmal...Any help is greatly appreciated.

What was that Saturday morning commercial between Road Runner/Bugs Bunny cartoons... "The More You Know..."

Thanks!

ScottH

Scott Hruska
East Texas

#2 old & gray

old & gray

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:12 PM

Try Jim Fowler's post -

http://slotblog.net/...=+bending +fork

• Shruska55 likes this
Bob Schlain

#3 Greg VanPeenen

Greg VanPeenen

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:25 PM

I build more tuning fork chassis then anyone.

I have a custom fixture for bending them now. When I first started building them I just used a pair of pliers, often times I had to bend several before I got two that matched.  But they worked. Some times when I build a chassis for myself I don't give a Sh#% if they are a 100% match because I have discovered that it makes no never mind on how the chassis works. Some people overthink everything and never win a race or even post how there perfect chassis work. I just build my chassis I don't care about selling them. yet they have won every major retro race in the U.S.A. 

Dave at PSC makes excellent fixtures so you will have no problems. Just a note you may need to bend more then one type of tuning fork rail as the width will change the angles. 

Regards,

GVP   

• Tex, Tim Neja, munter and 2 others like this
Greg VanPeenen
12/4/49-4/17/24
Requiescat in Pace

#4 Shruska55

Shruska55

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:51 AM

Bob,

Thanks for the link. That gives me the visual I needed and a technique.

Greg,

I'm going to be building for myself and perhaps my club. I'm not worried about perfection, but if you could see my first attempts! Ack....I'll get better as I learn technique and my tools.

Thanks!

ScottH

Scott Hruska
East Texas

#5 Brian Czeiner

Brian Czeiner

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:47 AM

I am not a chassis builder but I have built multiple rub rails for vintage and asphalt modifieds. To get things symmetrical I made a jig by drilling holes at the bend points with a drill press and bent the wire using pliers against the pin..  I expect the same could be done for your tuning fork? Perhaps a chassis builder could verify this method would be ok for chassis.

• Shruska55 likes this

If it's not a Caveman, It's HISTORY!          Support Your local raceways!

cavemanbodeez@gmail.com         CavemanBodeez.com      Womp Mafia

#6 Greg VanPeenen

Greg VanPeenen

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:01 PM

Brian,

I have a steel plate with steal pins and a bending arm That R-Geo Rick made me. I have the correct angles marked on it for different width chassis, very simple to use.  Scott says he has a PSC bending fixture that will do a wonderful job once he gets it figured out.

Scott,

When you are ready I can send you Pics of a very simple chassis that works great that you can build. Keep working on building you own. Stuff for sale used is generally for sale for good reason. It's probably J&*%K. 

Regards, 

GVP

• crazyphysicsteacher and Shruska55 like this
Greg VanPeenen
12/4/49-4/17/24
Requiescat in Pace

Electric Dreams Online Shop