4 replies to this topic

#1 Rich Joslin

Rich Joslin

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 05:03 PM

On Wednesday, November 4, the Rochester, NY, slot car community lost a friend and competitor with the passing of Francisco Thorne. 

I did not know him as well as others but upon meeting him one year ago I was immediately struck by the feeling that he was a good, kind, and honest person. He was inquisitive, always interested in what others had going on. He was helpful, willing to share what was working or not working for him. He had a big, easy smile that fit his positive personality.

Someone who knew him better than I described him as "a kind spirit." That sums him up pretty well.

We will miss you, Fran.

Rest In peace.

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,359 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 06:17 PM

Sorry to hear the loss of your racing friend, Rich.

• Rich Joslin likes this
Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#3 Arne Saknussem

Arne Saknussem

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:11 AM

A good man. We shall miss him. 

Pete Varlan

60 years a slot racer

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 11:27 AM

Francisco L. Thorne

thorne.jpeg

August 1, 1956 -  November 4, 2020

Francisco Lamont Thorne was born on August 1, 1956, in Cristobal, Canal Zone, Panama to Lee and Ruth Thorne. He came to the United States at age 2 and became a naturalized citizen in 1963. He attended St. Teresa of Avila Catholic School, William E. Grady High School and graduated from NYC Technical College in 1981 with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Fran was recruited from college and worked as an AutoCAD Draftsman at the Eastman Kodak Company for 16 years. He married his childhood sweetheart, Yvonne Daisley. They had three children, Frances, Brian and Cherise. Fran and Yvonne celebrated 37 years of marriage.

Fran held various jobs throughout the years which included being a custodian for his beloved Marianne Cope Roman Catholic Parish at St. Joseph’s Church. Fran was a loyal 4th degree member of the Knights of Columbus Council # 4812. He was actively involved in Rush-Henrietta School parent groups during his children’s elementary and high school years. Fran was a member of the HO Professional Racing Association and loved to race his HO cars. Fran was also a NYS Realtor with Berkshire Hathaway Home Services. Fran loved sports, music, dancing, basketball, wing chun, bowling, golf to name a few hobbies. Fran was called “home” on November 4, 2020. He was a good man, loved by so many and will be sorely missed.

Fran is predeceased by his parents Lee and Ruth Thorne and his sister Ruby (Roy) Lodge. Fran is survived by his wife, Yvonne; his children Frances (Maxx) Salsedo, Brian (Heather) Thorne, Cherise Thorne; his grandchildren, Ramone, Aliyah, Rolando, Raelyn, Quinten: his sister Argelina Myles; brother St. Clair (Viola) Thorne; a host of nieces, nephews, cousins and close friends, his church family and racing family. Fran, we love you and will miss you. Rest in Peace.

• Lou E, NSwanberg and Rich Joslin like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 NSwanberg

NSwanberg

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 05:51 AM

Sounds like another man I should have been friends with my whole life. This is all getting so sad.

• Cheater and Rich Joslin like this

Remember the Steube bar! (ask Raisin)
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RACEWAY!!
"The denial of denial is the first sign of denial." Hank, from Corner Gas

"Death before disco!" Wanda from Corner Gas
Nelson Swanberg 5618

Peace be with all of us and good racing for the rest of us.
Have controller. Will travel. Slot Car Heaven

Electric Dreams Online Shop