11 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 09:09 PM

I used to love the I-15 class due to all the racer built things permitted like cutting up the can and building your own chassis. The less regulation the better for someone used to old "Run What You Brung" days where a pro and an amateur could both be running a 25 single, meet minimum tire diameter and maintain proper clearance.

It appears that the I-15 and C12 rules have no chassis restrictions and specifically cite owner/racer built chassis are encouraged. Yey! I would take this to mean that old steel cars like the GTO madman or Alpha/RL chassis could be used again, new life for old chassis. Or my old favorite a Jesse & Ted Steel nose-piece that were released to Pro slot many years ago in a shuttle form, very fast.

I do not see a lot of I-15 racing taking place but C12 is in my ability having several nice new Camen six mag units and some nice Koford arms. Would my interpretation of my hand made chassis get me past tech?

My armatures will not be released to the general population as I have encountered additional issues with allergic reactions to epoxy. I will risk short runs of armatures for opens as these will not have to go through USRA certification plus I can decide who will get them and who will not, if they are gifted or sold.

So? racer built chassis ok?

Jess Gonzales

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,414 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 09:36 PM

Jesse would it be economical to have someone, such as a Proslot or Alpha epoxy your arms for you? 

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#3 Dominator

Dominator

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 09:53 PM

They are still running I-15 at PJ Raceway Monthly. Give Doug or Chubby a call.
A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo
Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

#4 86ed once again

86ed once again

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 12:31 PM

Chassis' in I15 and C12 are unlimited. The last 15 years has seen these 2 classes be dominated by aluminum chassis, similar to the ones run in opens. I do not see why they would not allow a hand built chassis to race. The only question I see is will your chassis weigh similar to that of the aluminum chassis that are currently being run? 

• Jesse Gonzales likes this
James Grinstead
Five-time USRA Champion
TEAM KOFORD

#5 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 01:41 PM

Jesse,

Its possible I just missed it but have you made any arms yet?  We would love to see some arm art if you can share. 

Be safe

Dave

David Parrotta

#6 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 07:21 PM

good point James, my shorty shuttles were very simple but did utilize a edm cut steel nose that was kind of heavy. I guess the only advantage if any would be that I get to decide how short to go. The old AZSCR track built by Hasse used to allow my short cars to handle extremely well. I did struggle with ponies as I was still using Mura 15 arms and Mura mags.

thanks again for the point well taken.

Jess Gonzales

#7 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 11:01 PM

Jess

As James has said C12 cars are light 37.5 to 40+ grams even my Nat's Car that I ran 2nd to Ed Gibson

this year at Swiss's was only 46+ grams and that in now terms is heavy I do hope you come to CA and Play this year

and the offer is open if you give me a heads up I'll have a Car for you to Run in OMB or a roller in Grp F at the Nat's 

jason

#8 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 03:53 PM

those things are light, wow. I guess I have to buy a scale as Joel had suggested a while back. I guess racer constructed chassis give me enough room to come up with an aluminum 75S chassis (old Reynolds Metals designation) with a bit of structural engineering applied. My Dad used to work for Reynolds and one of the metalurgists gave him a sheet of 75S for me to try out, that stuff is as tuff to cut as inconel but very light. of course back then I had no idea of how to solder on a guide so the project went by the wayside.

thanks for the offer Jason, you are a true Ambassador of goodwill for our hobby.

Jess

#9 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 07:21 PM

Group F, is that the one that utilizes Mike Swiss's $30 chassis? I have at least one ready to go. I sure hope things on the viral front get better so I can get out to play this year.

Jess

#10 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 09:50 PM

Jess

Swiss's chassis is good for the older Kings but would be an anchor on the King at Piranha

GrpF any chassis that has been submitted and approved for GP12 racing with the USRA 

jason

#11 Mr. M

Mr. M

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 09:41 AM

Locally in FL Jeff Cox allows home built in Group F as long as it is not Al. Anything steel or brass is OK. Most use steel perimeter commercial, but the occasional I15 of old shows up and does quite well.
Chris McCarty

#12 Alan Dodson

Alan Dodson

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 03:01 PM

At 3:16 Slotcar Raceway in Wichita, Ks we also allow some of the older steel chassis as well as the $12.00 wire chassis that Mike Swiss is selling. It lets more racers compete without spending a lot of money. We had 15 racers for the Group F race last Saturday.

• MSwiss, Bill from NH, Jason Holmes and 1 other like this

Electric Dreams Online Shop