13 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Smith

Phil Smith

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:45 PM

I apologize about this post, but I've run into a problem and I'm not sure where to ask this question. Hoping that someone here has some wired alarm systems experience.

My DSC PC-1556 alarm board went up in smoke. No longer made so I bought what I thought was a direct replacement. Turns out its not! Almost, but 2 terminals are missing - sort of.

The picture below is of the original board schematics. The four "K" are where the keypads (my house has two) connect. The "W" have wires connected, for what I do not know.

Original-Alarm-1.jpg

This photo is of my new board  schematic, a DSC PC-1555MX. Two of the four original terminals for "K" are missing, the ones That were labeled red and black. Those "K" wires now connect where the "W" terminals were on the old board.

Original-Alarm-2.jpg

So now have 2 wires with no where to connect them. Any suggestions?

PS: I should mention that the 2 boards look almost identical, with the new board being a slightly newer model.

Phil Smith
???-2/31/23
Requiescat in Pace

#2 snolde

snolde

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:32 PM

Hi Phil,

The W W terminals on the old board are AUX DC Power output.

So if something was connected to those terminals on the old board double lug the wire (observe polarity) to the red and black for the keypad.

Looks like the manufacturer eliminated the Red and Black terminals for the keypad on the new board, now connected to AUX + and -

on the new board.

Two wires going to each screw terminal. Two Negative in one terminal and Two Positive in one terminal.

• Phil Smith likes this
Scott Nolde

#3 Phil Smith

Phil Smith

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:31 PM

Thanks Scott!

So if I understand you correctly, on the original board the W W terminals are aux. power terminals, and the red and black terminals are keypad power terminals. They are the same. So the new board eliminated the redundancy.

So I can wire the W W wires to the same location on the new board, being mindful of polarity. Correct?

Phil Smith
???-2/31/23
Requiescat in Pace

#4 Phil Smith

Phil Smith

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:33 PM

And thanks mods for not deleting this. I really appreciate it!

Phil Smith
???-2/31/23
Requiescat in Pace

#5 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 07:01 PM

And thanks mods for not deleting this. I really appreciate it!

It shouldn't deleted.... This is the *General* Technical Info & Advice forum. That name makes anything technical a candidate for posting here even if this is a slot car speciality board.

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#6 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,332 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 07:09 PM

Is this the same forum where all the recipes are posted?

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#7 snolde

snolde

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 09:41 PM

Hi Phil,

Yes that is correct.

Scott Nolde

#8 Phil Smith

Phil Smith

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 10:28 PM

Phil and Bill. haha, you do make good points.

Thanks again, Scott. Wired it up and its back to where it was before it fried - not working. Not working in that most of my windows are are on the same zone and the alarm shows that one or more is open. But none are. That's my next project.

Phil Smith
???-2/31/23
Requiescat in Pace

#9 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,332 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:21 PM

Phil, my comment wasn't made to pick on your original post. But at a certain point, some forums look just like others. That's why I use the [View New Content] button to read this board & others.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#10 snolde

snolde

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:51 PM

Hi Phil,

You say you have zones that are faulted but the windows are all closed.

Either a broken wire or bad connection at one of the windows or on the way to the windows.

How many windows on the zone(s) that is faulted?

multiple alarm contacts on one zone are usually wired in series with a resistor located at the last window contact if the system was installed correctly. Take a picture of the actual alarm panel and post it in this thread. I'll take a look.

Scott Nolde

#11 Phil Smith

Phil Smith

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:19 PM

Phil, my comment wasn't made to pick on your original post. But at a certain point, some forums look just like others. That's why I use the [View New Content] button to read this board & others.

Bill, I didn't take that personal at all. I thought you were cracking a joke, and not at my expense. I got a good laugh out of it.

Hi Phil,

You say you have zones that are faulted but the windows are all closed.

Either a broken wire or bad connection at one of the windows or on the way to the windows.

How many windows on the zone(s) that is faulted?

multiple alarm contacts on one zone are usually wired in series with a resistor located at the last window contact if the system was installed correctly. Take a picture of the actual alarm panel and post it in this thread. I'll take a look.

Scott, I thought they were probably in series, which I don't think bodes well for me fixing it. I think there's 10 windows on that zone. And only one wire connecting to that zone. :(

I removed the zone 2 wire and jumpered zone 2 to common. I would think that would have closed that zone, but it did not work! I'm confused.

Alarm-2.jpg

Alarm-1.jpg

Phil Smith
???-2/31/23
Requiescat in Pace

#12 Phil Smith

Phil Smith

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:26 PM

Here's how I wired up the new board. I transferred one wire at a time, starting at the bottom. Its the only way I had any chance of keeping the wiring straight.

Alarm-3.jpg

Phil Smith
???-2/31/23
Requiescat in Pace

#13 snolde

snolde

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 11:59 PM

Phil,

the zone is looking for a specific resistance to show a non faulted state. 5.6k ohms.

if you take the resistor for zone two loose from the wire it is connected to and connect the resistor lead to zone common the zone fault should go away. Use the resistor to jump from the zone two terminal and the zone common.

if that is what you did already and the zone still shows faulted then it may be a zone programming issue.

Can you use a volt/ohm meter to check the resistance on the pair of wires going out to the windows

with out the resistor in the circuit?

If you put your meter on the wire, with all of the windows closed the meter should read a very low resistance, almost the value you would get if you touch the meter leads together.

so the theory for the alarm zone is when all is normal, with the 5.6k ohm resistor in series with the circuit and all windows closed the system will see the proper 5.6k for normal operation.

the system will go into alarm, zone faulted, when the zone is seeing and open circuit or a short circuit. (maybe a zone trouble in the case of a short)

Scott Nolde

#14 Phil Smith

Phil Smith

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 08:22 PM

Sorry for the very late replies, Scott. I'm a little tired of jacking with this alarm. Frustrated is a better description.

I checked the resistance and it showed open circuit. That makes sense, right? Then I put a resistor that came with the new board in series with the jumper. It did not help. That doesn't make sense!

It doesn't seem likely that its a programming issue since the new board is doing exactly what the old board was doing before it fried.

Maybe I still have the jumper wrong. I'll give it another shot tomorrow evening.

PS: I really appreciate your help! Sorry I'm not a better student!

Phil Smith
???-2/31/23
Requiescat in Pace

Electric Dreams Online Shop