• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dnytto

Dnytto

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 04:03 PM

So, I dug my old cars out from 20yrs ago and went to bpr the other day and I remembered what good cheap fun this was.

Question-do I need to buy all new stuff to race or do ppl still run the 4.5 nastrucks, the 4 champions or nascars, etc? I have two int 15 wing cars and a group 27 (it was fast at the time)

The 15s were running 3.7s the other was 2.7s. I checked some results and see thats pretty slow 😂 so whats the popular thing to run now? Lmp, Phoenix open, group f, I have no idea what any of that means but Id like to run something thats:

1. On the big track,
2. Inexpensive, (preferably using chassis I have with new motors) 3. This isnt as mandatory but something in the mid 3 second range, more driver focused than just outright powerful sub 2 second lap times.

Any suggestions?
David Roman

#2 Dnytto

Dnytto

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 04:08 PM

This is what I got, theres a bunch of other stuff in all these boxes but these are complete and running

Attached Images

• DC6B814E-E71C-4CFA-9746-85991A23F3C1.jpeg
  • ACF6CF71-97B2-4E6C-A23A-3A1579E186CD.jpeg

David Roman

#3 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 04:12 PM

MMM...hate to say it but anything 20 years old is going to either be uncompetitive, or just won't fit into current classes.  Keep that old stuff to run for fun.  If you want to race, attend some of the local races of various classes to see what floats your boat.  Most of the wing car classes are $$$$.  The flexi classes are cheap fun, and can still be damn fast depending on the motor

"Whatever..."

#4 Dnytto

Dnytto

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 04:48 PM

Which are the Flexi classes?
David Roman

#5 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,359 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:18 PM

Most flexis are 4" wheelbase chassis. You can vary the motors & bodies  on these chassis & have a ton of different classes. In your first photo, the Champion Turboflex is an example of a 4" flexi. In the day, it was a very good chassis, now there are better ones available. The next time you go to BPR, ask what 4" flexi classes they run & what you need to build a legal car.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#6 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,373 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 07:07 PM

"Vintage" usually means 1980 or older. But I forgive you  :laugh2:

You have two tracks in your area, one in Buena Park, the other in Whittier. I agree with Bill, go see what they are running at your local tracks. And like John says, you can always have fun running the cars you have. You will find slot racers are more helpful than the 70's and 80's, you just have to meet the right ones  :)

There are also some home/club tracks in SOCAL, use the Slotblog forums to find them.

Paul Wolcott

#7 Dnytto

Dnytto

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 07:56 PM

I had a lot of fun with what I had for sure, and there’s a ton of armatures, gears, c cans to use if I burn something up

I’ll look into the Flexi classes, I have two of those champion chassis’ so maybe I can be relatively competitive.

Is that other laser cut chassis still decent? It’s nowhere near the 90g weight of the other two wing cars, maybe a Phoenix motor (I’ve been researching so I know what it is now) in that might work well?

I’ll check the blog too, and Whittier. Wish they were open today, need to drive off some stress
David Roman

#8 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,638 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 10:04 PM

The turbo-flex chassis will only be competitive in classes that limit the chassis to older production.  Against current chassis, they are outclassed.  Can you run them? Sure...but you would be handicapping yourself right from the start.  Flexi chassis are cheap. Some places run classes based on the JK RTR cars; if so, that's a good place to start.

And the classes based on flexi-type chassis are numerous, that's why I suggested seeing what they run locally if you want to compete.  Some people just like to "play" with slot cars, which if fine, and what you have works perfectly for that.  But if you want to race, you'll want to get current equipment.  

"Whatever..."

#9 Dnytto

Dnytto

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:54 PM

Gotcha. I was reading some threads on here and didn’t realize they were years old. I’ll upgrade to get in on some racing.

What motors should I use in those two old wing cars, I want to make them equal and about as fast as they are now or maybe a few tenths faster? Me and my dad can battle it out like the old days, I can build a few more motors with parts I have but they not going to be equal, they already 2-3 tenths apart with me driving both in the same lane lol
David Roman

#10 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,638 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 04:37 AM

If you want something cheap (but not quite as fast) a 4002Fk would be a good motor.  But if you want something as fast or a bit faster, a 4002 x-12 would fill the bill.  I used to run them in the retro pro class, the chassis are not too much different from those old box stock wing cars you have, just not as much downforce.  

"Whatever..."

#11 Paul Menkens

Paul Menkens

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:05 AM

one would think that the raceways would have learned the lesson from the 60s of not having consistant rules from raceway to raceway. when I restarted racing 30 years ago the rtr classes were great, I could go anywhere and race the same brass-kar or flexi and not worry about having a special car for each one. now it seems like every raceway has it's own rules

#12 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,373 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 10:17 AM

David, I don't know if you like fiddling with motors but I think all three of those are rebuildable.

Send the arms and mags out for refurbing, install fresh BB's/Bushings, install new brushes, etc.

Paul Wolcott

#13 ThunderThumb

ThunderThumb

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 02:07 PM

Let me know when you go to BP next time I will meet you there , we usually go on Wednesdays from 3 to 6
Earl Anderson

#14 Dnytto

Dnytto

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 04:26 PM

David, I don't know if you like fiddling with motors but I think all three of those are rebuildable.
Send the arms and mags out for refurbing, install fresh BB's/Bushings, install new brushes, etc.

I dont mind the rebuilding, although as a kid my building consisted getting someone to zap the magnets and then I would hit the com with some sandpaper, new brushes, bend the springs back and twist the end bell as far as it would go and Id have a good race motor for one race 😂

I just wanted two equal ones-who do u send stuff too anyway? Pro slot seems to be in the $20-30 range, is it cost efficient to send stuff out for fun run cars? That Phoenix motor is super cheap, you guys see any issue throwing one in the old brass chassis wing car?

Let me know when you go to BP next time I will meet you there , we usually go on Wednesdays from 3 to 6

what do u run on Wednesdays? Ill try and make it tomorrow after work

I got a few drag cars too, this was painted at least 20yrs agoC69079D9-5338-4142-BC4D-338868AAB026.jpeg
David Roman

#15 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,638 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 05:00 PM

The Phoenix motor would probably be fine.  They're cheap, give them a try.  If they're not fast enough, put them in your turbo-flex chassis. With the Parma "hot rod" bodies, they would make for some fun cars

"Whatever..."

#16 kuni123456

kuni123456

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 March 2021 - 01:33 AM

I ran my 2013 G7 and 27L cars at Piranha Speedway and they are 0.2 second slower then the 2021 G7 and 27L cars. I have decided to put away my old slot cars but, I am going to rebuild 2013 G7 motors with the latest armatures. I will test all of the modified motors and compare them with the new motors and might race someone of them at the NASRA and USRA Nats at Piranha Speedway. I enjoyed running old slot cars but, would rather race.

John K. Wakamatsu

Electric Dreams Online Shop