370 replies to this topic

#26 9lives

9lives

Mid-Pack Racer

• Partial Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 12:44 AM

Is it in a plastic bag with a green cardboard insert that printed "Billy Steube Econo-Chassis" $12.99. He set a track record at Circle T with that chassis?. I helped him package those chassis bend wire. No soldering. Or do have one of his pro open chassis? Circle T was underpowered we could not race our pro set ups, too heavy group
26 arms only. So we went with cheaper chassis set up. We never performed well at that track. Can you send a picture?
John Hegedus

#27 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,473 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 08:15 AM

John, I don't recall the packaging. Mine sounds more like the Econo-Chassis than a pro open chassis. It has hinged pans, but I doubt I paid more than $15 for it in the mid-70s. I did run his dad's arms then too.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#28 Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 07:21 PM

Well racers its getting down to the wire for me, tomorrow I pack up and get ready for the drive up to NJ. Really looking forward to this trip no matter what happens at the track. Covid took the wind out of my sails and I feel it did for the majority of us slot car racers as well. Going to the Fall Brawl even though it will be  season ending race for most of us, it will re kindle the spirt that we all have for slot car racing. This was a real busy week for me, I had a in person inter view for the Smithsonianchannel about my tour in Vietnam, and I had to run my SERRA race series at the Viper Pit this Saturday. Been on the the move like an Al qaeda operative!

At my Serra race was one of the oldest, I mean most senior racers ( 73 years young)  I know.

His name is Terry Tawney, he lives in Co Co Florida.

Terry Tawney.jpg

Outstanding racer, fierce competitor, one of the nicest guys you will ever meet,

Terry and I pitted next to each other at the Cap Henry's Benefit Race   ( Ice Station Zebra Race).

We both felt that was the coldest slot car race in history! 

What made it warm was the racers in attendance, and I agree.

That's its it for me, see you at SpeedZone, Good luck to all!

Clyde 

PS: Jersey I got your CIGARS!!!!!

• Rick Moore and SpeedyNH like this

#29 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Jersey John

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 07:28 PM

Well racers its getting down to the wire for me, tomorrow I pack up and get ready for the drive up to NJ. Really looking forward to this trip no matter what happens at the track. Covid took the wind out of my sails and I feel it did for the majority of us slot car racers as well. Going to the Fall Brawl even though it will be  season ending race for most of us, it will re kindle the spirt that we all have for slot car racing. This was a real busy week for me, I had a in person inter view for the Smithsonianchannel about my tour in Vietnam, and I had to run my SERRA race series at the Viper Pit this Saturday. Been on the the move like an Al qaeda operative!

At my Serra race was one of the oldest, I mean most senior racers ( 73 years young)  I know.

His name is Terry Tawney, he lives in Co Co Florida.

attachicon.gif Terry Tawney.jpg

Outstanding racer, fierce competitor, one of the nicest guys you will ever meet,

Terry and I pitted next to each other at the Cap Henry's Benefit Race   ( Ice Station Zebra Race).

We both felt that was the coldest slot car race in history! 

What made it warm was the racers in attendance, and I agree.

That's its it for me, see you at SpeedZone, Good luck to all!

Clyde 

PS: Jersey I got your CIGARS!!!!!

Who is better than you

John Chas Molnar

"Certified Newark Wise Guy since 1984" (retired)
"Certified Tony P Chassis God 2007.2023
" Owner / Sponsor, TEAM JERSEY-TEAM AUSTRALIA 

Jerseyjohnchassis.com

Logo copy.jpg

#30 Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 07:57 PM

Well I made it to SpeedZone yesterday, there were a lot of racers showing up to get practice in at this great race track.

IMG_8843.jpg

IMG_8849.jpg

IMG_8844.jpg

One of the great things about this hobby we call slot cars is that when you show up at a track you leave all of you stuff overnight.

IMG_8846.jpg

And no one messes with your stuff, its and unbelievable honor system that is un paralleled in my opinion, it shows you they type of individuals we collectively are as slot cars racers.

One of the great slot car racing teams here at the Fall Brawl is the father and son team of Matt Bruce and his son Ryan who made the Pro list last yearIMG_8848.jpg

Both of them are fierce competitors on the track and its great to watch them race! Matt will no doubt make the A main in all of the classes at this years Fall Brawl.

Its great to see some young blood enter the hobby and do so well at a major event as this.

Tomorrow the real fun starts with Stock cars and the Handout motor race in Coupes.

It was good to re connect with some of the racers I haven't seen since 2020.

Stay tuned more to follow on my experience at this years Fall Brawl at Speed Zone.

• Pappy, Pablo, S.O. Watt and 2 others like this

#31 elvis44102

elvis44102

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 08:55 PM

Dear Mr. Romero. Thank you for your post. The first time I ever went to a slot car track was in 1970. I was 9 years old. The slotcar track was name was "Checkpoint Raceway" located on Lakewood Boulevard, Bellflower, California. That facility was owned by a man named Bill Steube, Sr. It was operated by his wife, "Bunny". My first slotcar was a Pittman (sp). I had a Cox plunger controller. My Pittman car launched out of the bank and landed in Bill Sr.s office. Right in front of his desk. He retrieve d my slotcar, in hand, and said to me, "your abusing this car", and maintained possession emphasizing that I will regain possession of my Pittman slocar after I demonstrated some respect for the slotcar and the facility. My father and Bill Sr. were weekend British sports car racers. They raced Triumph MGs at Willow Springs and Riverside Raceways. In 1974, age 13, I won the USRA Amateur Championship racing a "Steube Can" Groupe 20
In 1975, I won the coveted Western States at Crash and Burn in Conoga Park as a member of Team Checkpoint. My Team Checkpoint mentors included Billy Steube, Jr., Stork, Big Jim, Herb Wade, Gil Gunderson, Don Aspenson. These men, along with my father, John Hegedus Sr., shaped my value system as a man. It all started with some sort of a Pittman slotcar. Thank you for your post.

i just could not remember the name of don aspenson...he came out to the elyria 1972 nationals, and we hung out and just about forgot about the race lol...i know i spun a pinion

and dan bloodwoth the pit-man was drunk....so that was that lol

John Wisneski

#32 snolde

snolde

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 10:01 PM

Have fun and good luck Clyde!

Thank you for your service on this Veterans Day!!!!

• Pablo and MSwiss like this
Scott Nolde

#33 9lives

9lives

Mid-Pack Racer

• Partial Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 12:31 AM

Good luck Mr. Romero and thank you for your service to our country.
John Hegedus

#34 Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 05:07 PM

Just finished up at the Fall Brawl, as I have said before this race is well worth going to.

Lots of Father and Son Teams here this year

IMG_8886.jpg

Robert and His Son Charlie Geibel

IMG_8869.jpg

Jeff and Don Bonnano 

IMG_8856.jpg

Gary Clinton Sr. and Jr. 

IMG_8855.jpg

California Corner is always here with some of the fastest cars in all of the classes (Dale, Duran and Alex)

IMG_8854.jpg

The Twins Dan Ebert and Dennis Dominey from the Penn Ohio series showed up

IMG_8860.jpg

Here we have Jersey John giving advice to Danny Zona 

IMG_8861.jpg

And this is Noose and his Enforcer Ralph Griffin ( retired Boston COP) 

IMG_8862.jpg

The Table of reckoning Noose with his Elimination Tools!

IMG_8858.jpg

NO TECH FOR YOU!

all kidding asides Noose has the hardest job at these events 

Well thats my report as I saw it from the Fall Brawl, me I had a great time reconnected with some old friends

and made some new ones as well.

Safe travels to all those who came.

• Pappy, Pablo, Jencar17 and 4 others like this

#35 9lives

9lives

Mid-Pack Racer

• Partial Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 07:08 PM

Greg, a MD prescribed colchicine to me for gout flare up. Took as directed for 2 days. That was in 2017. Haven't had a flare up since. Just a suggestion.
John Hegedus

#36 Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 08:13 AM

Well I am finally back from the Fall Brawl, on the return trip home I went to see Bob Hughes who paints my bodies, he lives in New Hampshire. 

On the way home in my car I hit something 

combat damage.jpg

Combat Damage 

Oh well the car got me  home and that's what counts

I had a great time at that race at Speedzone Mike has an outstanding place and if you are ever in the area you need to stop by.

Noose did an outstanding job with the race report as usual. 

As I said earlier when you go to these major events you will make new friends and see old ones as well.

I had the opportunity do to just that at the Fall Brawl.

I met this racer named Tony Lang  

tony lang.jpg

Tony Lang 

Tony and I were in the Coupe race and having a blast racing against each other talking smack.

Rick Dodge from the west Coast and I were in a battle for 10th place as well.

I call this race the Social Security Race since most of us are drawing it !

It was fun to say the least.

Next year Tony, just watch!

This is what makes slot car racing what it is for me, meeting like minded racers and coming away with a smile on your face.

Speaking of which the Coupe FK race was one heck of a race, places 9-11 were seperated by sections!

This is a handout motor race which always makes it exciting, at least it does for me.

Congratulations to Jeff Bonanno who broke into the Pro ranks with a great race. 

Well most of us will be winding down racing for the holiday season, and getting ready for the new year of racing.

That's it for now guys, I am going to try to make the Dec 18th Retro  race at Mark's Model World, its along shot but I want to go.

Until then gentlemen, take care and be safe, enjoy your family time over the holidays.

Clyde 

• S.O. Watt, Tim Neja and NSwanberg like this

#37 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Jersey John

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 11:59 AM

I second that Clyde and Yes Tony is a great guy and racer He is also A Member of TEAM JERSY RACING

John Chas Molnar

"Certified Newark Wise Guy since 1984" (retired)
"Certified Tony P Chassis God 2007.2023
" Owner / Sponsor, TEAM JERSEY-TEAM AUSTRALIA 

Jerseyjohnchassis.com

Logo copy.jpg

#38 Howie Ursaner

Howie Ursaner

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 12:04 PM

Glad you made it back safe. It was great to see you at SpeedZone, and everyone having such a great time. Can't wait for next year.!!

Howie Ursaner

#39 Dominator

Dominator

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 09:40 PM

Ya gotta be careful of those pot holes in New England lol.

A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo
Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

#40 Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 11:17 AM

So if you wonder why other racers are faster than you 

here is proof

area 51 slot car track.JPG

this racer which will remain name less has his own track !

I call it the AREA 51 track in a secret location know only to those who have the appropriate security clearance!

all kidding aside I find this great 

enjoy the holidays racers

• S.O. Watt, cdtanner, Tim Neja and 1 other like this

#41 Racer36

Racer36

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 11:25 AM

Hahahahaha 

I have it on good authority that the Georgia contingent has the credentials to test on this track anytime.

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#42 Mr. M

Mr. M

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 09:05 AM

Terry Tawney is the longest continuous slot racer in Fl. He was at Space Coast Raceway in Cocoa Beach Fl When I arrived in 1980. That’s 41 years since I have known him. Ask to see his power supply which I built back then from surplus parts from Skycraft in Orlando. All analog with meters, no electronics and still kicking!

Chris McCarty

#43 Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 04:03 PM

This is a public service announcement 

if you are stopped by the authorities and they inspect your box

and they see this device 

scale.jpg

you better have your slot  cars with you 

because the only people who have scales that measure in grams are slot car racers

and drug dealers! 

#44 Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 04:05 PM

Glad you made it back safe. It was great to see you at SpeedZone, and everyone having such a great time. Can't wait for next year.!!

Howie great seeing you as usual, take care and enjoy the holidays old friend. 

• Howie Ursaner likes this

#45 old & gray

old & gray

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 04:58 PM

if you are stopped by the authorities and they inspect your box

and they see this device 

attachicon.gif scale.jpg

you better have your slot  cars with you 

because the only people who have scales that measure in grams are slot car racers

and drug dealers! 

And SERIOUS archers. I use my scale (purchased from an archery supply shop) to match arrow component weights and make sure my cars will past tech.

• Clyde Romero likes this
Bob Schlain

#46 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,473 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 08:38 PM

Bob, is it legal to add or subtract weight to the arrow's components so they are balanced or so you can achieve a desired weight? I was never involved in archery, but a neighborhood friend had access to a steel or aluminum bow with 50 lb. pull, It took both of us to string it.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#47 old & gray

old & gray

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 12:46 PM

Bill it is not only legal but required for tournament success. I shoot a segment of archery classified as "Traditional" ie wooden arrows, non compound bows. I match my arrows for weight + 10 grains, I know of one arrow maker who was gun drilling the rear of the shaft to move the center of gravity forward after he drilled five inches in each shaft he would then take out a little more to match the shaft weights. 

I have a wood and fiberglass recurve bow which is 41 pounds pull, 62 inched string length. On a good day I can string it by bending it across my knee.  

Bob Schlain

#48 Big_John

Big_John

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 04:03 PM

There was a gauge calibration lab south of us that had closed when the owner went to prison on drug charges. We had bought a lot of the equipment from the owner's ex-wife and we also hired one of his techs.  He told us it was a real wild ride towards the end of his time there...  Often, he would come in Monday morning and have to clean the white powder off the precision scales from the owner cutting the drugs for resale. 

• Clyde Romero likes this
John Sager

#49 Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 04:27 PM

There was a gauge calibration lab south of us that had closed when the owner went to prison on drug charges. We had bought a lot of the equipment from the owner's ex-wife and we also hired one of his techs.  He told us it was a real wild ride towards the end of his time there...  Often, he would come in Monday morning and have to clean the white powder off the precision scales from the owner cutting the drugs for resale. 

Like I said there re only two types who buy these scales, I would not be surprised if the DEA doesn’t have a data base on all of US!

enjoy the holidays guys.

clyde 

• Bill from NH likes this

#50 Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 02:41 PM

First of all, this is my opinion and mine alone, on this subject and I would like to hear back from anyone on this subject that I am about to broach.

When you look at race results its laps that win races, period. And you have to say that to get the most laps you have to have a fast car, but more than that you have to stay in the slot. Keeping the car out of the marshals' hands is imperative to winning races as far as I am concerned. 

Now do get me wrong here having a reliable car goes hand in hand with this as well, but staying in the slot is really important.

And you say why is that? 

So, let's look at some basic math when it comes to this issue.

First of all, there are corners on a track that are very busy for a marshal and some that are not. Busy corners create huge problems when it comes to marshalling cars especially when there are multiple car pile ups, and let's not forget the car that hit the marshal's hand while attempting to put the car back in the slot. (Tell me that hasn't happened)

So, I ask you this, how many seconds do you think it takes an average marshal to put a car back in the slot?

Well, I have timed some marshals around the tracks I've been too over the years, it's around 5 seconds, and that's one who is attentive to his corner. Its way more if they marshal has to reach for the car, sticker is covered by the marshal's hand (sticker placement real important) or the marshal just isn't paying attention. (We have all seen that right?) 

It can be as much as 15 seconds if the car comes off out of the marshal field of view. Muliti car marshalling can take equally as long, maybe longer if a body has to be re adjusted and braid has to be fixed.

Time it one day at your local track next race, the time will amaze you.

I have witnessed a marshal in a busy corner pick up two cars, one in each hand and hold one car, not on purpose mind you with his not primary hand (right-handed or left-handed) and just plain forget he had a car in his other hand! He was trying to clear the wreck scene but forgot he had a car in his non primary hand! It happens. That why when I marshal, I only use one hand, since in the heat of battle if I pick up 2 cars, one in each hand I might inadvertently delay placing the other car in the slot because I rarely use left hand for important things. This is the way our brain works. 

So back to the what I was saying with regards to laps. For the purpose of this conversation, let's say a lap takes 5 seconds from the fastest racer in your race. 

If you're not doing sub 5 second laps, you're on the bubble in this race.

If you come off just once in front of a good marshal, you're down basically one lap, if you happen to be involved in a muliti car pile-up even if your car is put on first, you still have lost at least one lap, maybe more.

A slower car that doesn't come off while be ahead of you, and I think we have all seen this happen in a race.

So, for me staying in the slot and staying out of trouble is paramount, since I rarely have the fastest car in my main.

When I look at my most recent coupe race at the Fall Brawl positions the winner had a fastest lap of 4.9 (the Pro coupe times were in the 4.7 range) 

My best lap was 5.3, that is .4ths of a second difference, and I was in 11th place by sections with 3 others!

Racers 9-11 all had similar times in the 5.3 range and we all involved in some serious racing towards the end.

I don't feel bad because I raced at what time I qualified at, that means I did all the car can do, it doesn't get better than that for me.

I qualified at 5.38 and my best lap was 5.36 

But what it does tell me is that I need to stay in the slot more and stay out of trouble.

I lost an average of 3 laps per heat for whatever reason, I was 24 laps down from the winner of that race.

So, in my head had I stayed in more I would have placed higher in that race.

Every track has its variables when it comes to where marshals are, and who they are and to me that is just as important as anything in a race and I will leave it at that.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, looking forward to comments on this.

Until then

Clyde 

Electric Dreams Online Shop