7 replies to this topic

#1 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,373 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 02:42 PM

My favorite DTM flexi (in Cleveland they call it a "Touring Car") is an oldie but a goodie T-Flex. It's won many races so I'm afraid to change it, other than upgrading the motor to a CR102, 64P 13T pinion, and installing a new legal body (RTR NSX). Not sure yet if I'll remove the front wheels

IMG_0847.JPG

The CR102 is broken in (dry) at 3 volts. No amp change, steady as a rock .40 amps 

• Pete L. likes this

Paul Wolcott

#2 SpeedyNH

SpeedyNH

Old Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 04:52 PM

i sure would, if they're not required. 

• Pablo likes this
Steve Lang

#3 Slot Car Rod

Slot Car Rod

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 02:43 AM

Out of probably a couple of dozen Champion chassis that I have leveled out, probably only two have that extra special handling magic.  I was wondering if you have had similar experience with Champion chassis.  I like the front wheels on the car.  Your chassis looks very flat and looks like it probably has that extra special handling magic.

Rodney Chew

#4 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,373 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:01 PM

My experience with Champion T-Flex chassis starts with Greg Well's excellent tome, and much of those techniques carry over to later designs. I believe in "Black Magic" for motors but not for chassis. The evil handlers always have a reason why, and my experience has been you just have to find it and fix it. Racing is simply hard work. Race prepping any stamped steel chassis takes me at least a full day to blueprint and trick out.

This one has been in the winner's circle in 3 different classes - NASCAR, DTM, and Go-Kart. The upgrade was fairly simple - motor/pinion/spur swap and evil stupid front wheels removed. Wheels are Speed Shop with Wonder Rubber. New RTR body inbound. I wish this Red Fox body was legal - I'll use it as a thrasher test monkey LOL I call the paint job lingerie  :)

IMG_0848.JPG

• Slot Car Rod likes this

Paul Wolcott

#5 SpeedyNH

SpeedyNH

Old Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 10:33 AM

myself, i try to put a Lot of magic in my stamped steel chassis', and that champion is my favorite to mess with. of course, you've gotta start with the thing flat, with the track mud building up in the right places. 

years ago, after about a week's worth of trying different stuff on the track, i finally figured out how to get the wag out of 'em coming punched out of the corners, which then sends you down the straight really well. it worked with both super wasps (our B-Production) and 12 motors (A-Prod, with low downforce bodies). and as a bonus, it turned out that they went really well through the esses, too when we went to those tracks. i made quite a few of 'em for my buddies. they were quite the hit. NH Bill might remember those. 

at a race in upstate NY a young friend Jamie came to me and said his car wouldn't go around. being short on time, i took out my big short-handled hammer and steel plate and started wanging the cr4p out of the thing and filing and cleaning things up. he looked pretty worried, but he said, "if there's anybody i'd want hammering on my chassis, it's speedy." here, try that.  he won the race.  (more: next year he left, took a course and became a shock guy and tire changer in Nastrucks.)    

whatever works!  Lol

• Pablo likes this
Steve Lang

#6 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,359 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 11:56 AM

Speedy, how could I forget your cars, especially the red Sprints Plus sprint car with the rewound motor?  I tried driving it when Kenny had the track in Merrimack.

Do you recall Andy Collier, one of QCS's junior racers, brother to Sean? Anyway, Andy never had a lot of seif-confidence slot car racing. The last I heard, he was working for Rick Hendrick building race motors. Sean later was the MIT policeman killed by the Boston Marathon bombers.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#7 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,373 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 12:18 PM

My GTP C43 car has a Phoenix motor so that comes out

IMG_0849.JPG

In the process, one of the flimsy unshielded BB's came apart so I'm going to remove them and use Slick 7 racing bushings. When set up in perfect alignment in a well-braced rear end they last forever and never fail. I'll heat and push the BB's out with a vintage threaded axle   :crazy:

Top Secret Intimidator motor and RTR GTP body on order ......

Paul Wolcott

#8 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,373 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 08:52 PM

I had a spare old 3 piece C11 gathering dust, so I built it up. It's ready for new motor and gears. RTR 7 thou GTP body, waterslide decals, race prepped. I can hardly wait to thrash it on the big flat track  :yes:

IMG_0861.JPG

• Wizard Of Iz likes this

Paul Wolcott

Electric Dreams Online Shop