#27 Paul Lindewall

Paul Lindewall

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 08:47 AM

Thanks Paul.

You're welcome. 
The lap counter I built was designed for use with Race Coordinator software. It allowed me to run this 'race format'. 

At the start of every heat, all cars would be lined up at the Start line near the scoring bridge. With 5 seconds to start, the five red LEDs would light up one at a time (5-4-3-2-1) and then all go out at the GO command. This is similar to the starting system used in F1. At GO, all the trackside lights would change from red to green and power would be turned on to all lanes. At the end of the specified time period for the heat, instead of all cars stopping where they are on track and restarting at the same spot in the next lane (or coming off track in rotation and having to mark where the car came off) a white flag would be displayed. All cars would race back to the line to finish the final lap. As they crossed the line, power to their lane would be automatically cut. All cars would then be lined up for the next heat behind the Start line, and begin the next heat / final at that point. 

Because the track had to be located against a back and side wall, marshaling cars was next to impossible. Each driver station had it's own Track Call button. If you de-slotted, you pressed the button and all cars would stop on track, giving you time to marshal your car. Pressing the button again would restart the heat. 

However, the lap counter recognized which button had been pressed, and a 1 lap penalty was given to that driver. We found it was pretty good incentive to stay in the slot! 

In the event of a track issue (dead spot, debris on track, etc) there was a Master Track Call button that the one and only marshal controlled, that could stop all cars without penalty to any driver. 

I really liked the "race to the line" format. Too many times I've seen cars that came off track at the very beginning of Section X (which typically is several feet long) magically placed near the end of Section X when coming back on track. In a tight race, those few feet could mean the difference between first and second place. With 'race to the line', if two drivers have the same number of laps at the end of the event, the driver with the fastest total time wins. You can't fool the computer. 

Attached Images

• Stations.jpg
  • Super Venom Track.jpg

• Phil Smith, boxerdog and MattD like this

#28 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 12:17 PM

Occasionally when guys get too restless and crazy.   We run a race of 1 lap and the last guy to the line wins the race.   All cars must start at the same time and they cannot stop during the lap.   When the race is over,  we realize everybody can make a lap without crashing.     A few times we have run races where you have to put your own car back on and nobody stops or helps.   If you come off at the other end of the track, you have to go get the car and put it back on yourself.   Everybody else keeps racing.   After once or twice, guys start driving within the abilities!

I like the 1 lap penalty for track calls.    I never understood a guy not paying for over driving his ability and the other divers having to  stop while his car is put back on.

Your system sounds good Paul. 

• Phil Smith and boxerdog like this

Matt Bishop

Electric Dreams Online Shop