New GRRR motor rules for 2018
#1
Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:17 AM
Effective January, 2018 the JK Retro Hawk designated 7R7R7R7R will be the only JK Motor style allowed for the premier CanAm class. Other IRRA legal motors will still be allowed. (TSR, Falcon)
StockCar, GTC, CanAm Plus and F1 may still use the Hawk Retro motors designated China, R & 7R until halfway point in the series where at that point a decision will be made to go totally 7r.
To the "why", it is simply to maintain a fair racing environment within the GRRR. More than half our members do not have a deep history of non 7R motors and do not have the ability to economically acquire them. Our top 4-5 racers hold what is felt to be an above average amount of older motors and this simply is not fair. Most feel the older motors have a performance advantage whether perceived or actual.
With new racers joining us every few months, this also assures that they have an equal opportunity to be competitive right out of the box.
At this time we will deem this until further notice.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz
5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace
#2
Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:40 AM
When first reported I and many others where considered biased and shot down with data and race reports. They were obviously wrong. Lol.
I just wonder if JK TIM thinks this is a biased statement about the newer batch motors?
Either way I'm racing and willing to take the good with the bad.
Let's go racing!
- tonyp and gfox like this
You're never fast enough!!! 💯
Preparation leads to separation.
"If I was there, I would win." - Shrek
Kelly Racing 🏁
#3
Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:52 AM
Not my race series so it matters not to me.
But I want to ask one question. Must we take every opportunity to blast Tim and JK? He is not doing anything to try and harm anyone or the hobby. Is he perfect no, I bet none of us are.
- glueside likes this
#4
Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:04 PM
I'm just pointing out what happened the past year with the info that was reported.
I'm just wondering since I and many others are considered biased for thinking the same way Tony stated about the motors.
Is everyone else, including Tony now considered biased? It's a legit question like it or not. Especially after being called biased and a henchman numerous times.
I do know Tony and company are doing their best with this motor situation.
Like I posted. I'm willing to take the good with the bad. Let's go racing!
You're never fast enough!!! 💯
Preparation leads to separation.
"If I was there, I would win." - Shrek
Kelly Racing 🏁
#5
Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:04 PM
Many rules are amended to address changing conditions. Whether real or perceived. The main goal is to enhance racer participation by reinforcing their confidence in the series. The fact that these rules react to issues in real time is a big confidence builder. Waiting once a year for a vote on rule changes that are often partisan and biased would kill a series. Big ups to the GRRR and RMRRA for addressing this.
- jimht, tonyp, Half Fast and 4 others like this
"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)
"... because people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook."
Richard M .Nixon, Nov 17, 1973
"Fool me once, same on... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again."
George W. Bush
#6
Posted 01 January 2018 - 03:31 PM
Alleluia!
This only makes common sense because the older version has not been in stock at any raceway in Florida since October 2016. That's 1 year and 3 months ago.
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion
#7
Posted 01 January 2018 - 03:36 PM
A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.
Dominic Luongo
Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook
NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now
#8
Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:39 AM
How many RH motors is perceived to be enough for a competitive program?
Where should a person source the new 7R7R7R motors?
I was trained by a henchman - 3 chassis, 5 motors, 3-5 bodies per class (for a big race). All races to me are big races, I always run my best car.
What are the chances I get a competitive motor in a 5 quantity RH buy?
Charlie McCullough
Charlie's Speed Shop
Kelly Racing Wanna Be
#9
Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:32 PM
I don't have a dog in this fight, but, this sounds like an excellent solution to an issue that has caused much consternation, gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes over the last few weeks. The whole point of sealed motors is to make an effort at establishment of a "level playing field" for participants in terms of available motor performance. While not a perfect solution - nothing ever is! - I applaud this positive action to preserve the integrity of the sealed motor rules.
- tonyp, DOCinCanton and Samiam like this
#10
Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:58 AM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz
5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace
#11
Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:59 AM
This weeks GRR retro race is at P1.
Doors open at 8 and tech at 9:30 and first race starts at 10.
Remember can-am race is long shaft 7r motors.
The other classes may use the older motors.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz
5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace
#12
Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:41 AM
What became of Phil Irvin who used to race with GRRR? Did he move to another state?
I intend to live forever! So far, so good.
#13
Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:41 PM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz
5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace
#14
Posted 29 October 2018 - 12:52 PM
This weeks GRR retro race is at P1.
Doors open at 8 and tech at 9:30 and first race starts at 10.
Remember can-am race is long shaft 7r motors.
The other classes may use the older motors.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tony:
This statement should be amended to also allow the newer short shaft "7R" motors as well as the "RRRRRRRR" (8R's) and "RRRRRRRRR" (9R's) motors in all GRRR classes. Note that is does NOT change the ability to use older motors for the non-Can-Am GRRR classes for the rest of 2018.
I know this is a decision to be made by the GRRR BoD, but I would like to make a recommendation to allow only "7R" and newer (short and long shaft) JK Hawk Retro motors in all classes for 2019 to bring us into alignment with the IRRA motor rules.
- JBProducts likes this
Jay Guard
IRRA Board of Directors (2022-Present),
Gator Region Retro Racing Director (2021-2025)
SERRA Co-Director (2009-2013)
IRRA BoD advisor (2007-2010)
Team Slick 7 member (1998-2001)
Way too serious Retro racer
#15
Posted 30 October 2018 - 06:49 AM
That change sounds good to me, though i wouldn't mind using the rest of my Older motors up still ![]()
#16
Posted 30 October 2018 - 08:59 AM
Jeff:
Maybe just allow the older motors in one class, that would work for me too.
- JBProducts likes this
Jay Guard
IRRA Board of Directors (2022-Present),
Gator Region Retro Racing Director (2021-2025)
SERRA Co-Director (2009-2013)
IRRA BoD advisor (2007-2010)
Team Slick 7 member (1998-2001)
Way too serious Retro racer
#17
Posted 30 October 2018 - 09:04 AM
Ya id be 1000% cool with that too ![]()
Either way, i'm cool with whatever lol
#18
Posted 30 October 2018 - 10:39 AM
#19
Posted 30 October 2018 - 11:07 AM
He has only been back racing a few months and is winning everywhere. Endurance races and GRRR races. 😁
Great to see you back racing.
You are as fast as any racer I've seen. 💯
- JBProducts likes this
You're never fast enough!!! 💯
Preparation leads to separation.
"If I was there, I would win." - Shrek
Kelly Racing 🏁
#20
Posted 30 October 2018 - 11:41 AM
Well when you put in the time to practice practice and practice the results will show, The racing skill has always been there lol.
- Danny Zona likes this
#21
Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:56 PM
- Danny Zona likes this
#22
Posted 30 October 2018 - 07:54 PM
Just as an FYI, I still have a fair number of older JK HR motors, “R Made In China”, “Made In China”, and some of the first ones with no marks; I’ve also done a lot of motor testing in a lot of chassis. Truthfully, none of the older motors noted are as fast, or were ever as fast, as the current JK HR motors. As example, the few best of the older motors I noted might have gotten a CanAm car on the Hillclimb at Fast Eddie’s into the low 4.5’s or maybe the occasional high 4.4 s lap times. By contrast, I have a bunch of the new short-shaft multiple-“R” motors that will put those same cars easily into the mid and low 4.4’s. I would be willing to bet these newer motors are why lap times have dropped as much as we’ve seen. The ban on the older motors seems kind of pointless based upon my testing and observations. But, whatever the decision, yeah, that’s fine.
Rick / CMF3
#23
Posted 30 October 2018 - 10:17 PM
R’s, unmarked and Made in China will not be legal for any class.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Twisted Metal and JBProducts like this
Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz
5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace
#24
Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:13 AM
That is a change cause we were using R's, unmarked and made in china for every class except can am ![]()
But glad to hear about this change in 2019 ![]()
#25
Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:27 PM
GRRR will continue to follow the IRRRA motor rules for 2019. No reason to change.
R’s, unmarked and Made in China will not be legal for any class.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a bump to this thread to remind everyone what Tony said before. Now that we are in 2019, motors that are unmarked or marked Made in China are no longer legal in any classes we run. Only motors on the IRRA approved motor list will be allowed. We only had one incident at January's race. Good job guys!
Grant Goerner












