• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#26 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,418 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 08:23 PM

Single action is just a glorified spray can. I used one for years, often wished I hadn't. Double action is much more versatile. Let's not make Mad Mark madder & give him back his thread.

• Fergy likes this
Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#27 Larry Labounty

Larry Labounty

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 10:23 PM

It looks nice in the photo. There used to be a "body wash" sold for taking off paint smudges. I think it was a combination of acetone & something else.

Lighter Fluid will also remove over spray an other goofs never tried with water base paint 

• Fergy likes this

#28 Mark Onofri

Mark Onofri

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 11:04 PM

Lol,at least he doesn't go by
"Homicidal Mark"🤯
That might be cause for extreme discretion. 🤐

#29 Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 May 2023 - 03:43 PM

bought a new white bottle and this one is better. Still the tiny nozzle that the needle sticks out of was getting clogged. think it was bits of q tip that Ive been using in between color changes to clean. not doing that anymore that was pretty hard to clear out. i replace the Harbour freight with a iwata eclipse also.

just did this turned out pretty good. hand cut numbers and hand painted drop shading with a scrolling pin striping brush.
0A96852E-2218-446A-A6D2-57A8E98B1565.jpeg
D614D7BC-0CAA-41CD-B974-8AD8642A9977.jpeg
  • Pablo and Alan Dodson like this
Mark Haas

#30 Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 May 2023 - 04:21 PM

0F4C9FE7-2304-4F57-BABB-462D5844CD58.jpeg
  • Pablo, Wizard Of Iz, Bill from NH and 2 others like this
Mark Haas

#31 Fergy

Fergy

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 10:16 AM

Mark - You're doing a fantastic job masking with blue tape, etc. Here's a tip to make it easier - go to a local sign shop and ask for some of their thinnest vinyl scraps. You can cut this into strips, patterns, etc. and it's just so much better than ordinary tape as a masking medium.  It'll make a big difference, esp. when it comes time to remove it. :) Good luck in the future, you're doing great and will only get better.

• Jairus likes this
Dave Ferguson

#32 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,418 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 02:07 PM

Dave, I was given sign shop scrap vinyl 20 years ago to mask slot car bodies with. The first time I used it was on a .010 JK Pontiac that I later sent to Pablo on here. I nearly ripped the body apart trying to remove the masking. I never used that vinyl on another body, but probably still have the scraps somewhere. I've had much better luck masking with a vinyl contact paper.

Bill Fernald

#33 Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 05:26 PM

Mark - You're doing a fantastic job masking with blue tape, etc. Here's a tip to make it easier - go to a local sign shop and ask for some of their thinnest vinyl scraps. You can cut this into strips, patterns, etc. and it's just so much better than ordinary tape as a masking medium.  It'll make a big difference, esp. when it comes time to remove it. :) Good luck in the future, you're doing great and will only get better.

Thank you good idea!
Mark Haas

#34 Bill Breck

Bill Breck

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 11:20 AM

Thank you good idea!

Dollar Tree sells rolls of removeable vinyl like you would use for the Cricut and Silhouette machines. It's low tack and removes easily from Lexan bodies. 

Works great for masking large areas, and making your own free hand designs. The roll is 12 inches X 4 ft. - pretty good bargain for $1.25.

dollar tree.jpg

• Eddie Fleming likes this

#35 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,418 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 02:29 PM

I'll have to look for some of this vinyl next time I go to the local $1.25 Tree store. Thanks for bringing this to our attention Bill.

Bill Fernald

#36 Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 09:29 AM

Got a little over my head on this one but was good for brush control practice and layout design.
7771BE1B-E6CD-4348-AB83-7F5BE659EC77.jpeg
  • Pablo, MSwiss, Noose and 6 others like this
Mark Haas

#37 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,418 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 03:41 PM

That body looks nice & neat Mark. Good selection of colors, very good use of a masking scheme. You might not want to do that on a vintage body, but it is appropriate for the body you chose.

• Fergy and Mad Mark like this
Bill Fernald

#38 olescratch

olescratch

olescratch

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 07:17 PM

I don't know what you meant by over your head, looks fine by me (not that I'm an expert).

• Mad Mark likes this
John Stewart

#39 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 10:45 AM

I've been trying to convert to Creatix water based paint for my slot car bodies.  Man-- I HATE water based paints.  I know it's because I'm just not getting the right thinning?  With lacquer paints--it dries very quickly--water based takes FOREVER and a little too much results in wonderful streak!!!  Help!! What thinner will help dry this faster?  Or do I need to paint in front of a hair dryer?

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#40 Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 05:50 PM

I've been trying to convert to Creatix water based paint for my slot car bodies.  Man-- I HATE water based paints.  I know it's because I'm just not getting the right thinning?  With lacquer paints--it dries very quickly--water based takes FOREVER and a little too much results in wonderful streak!!!  Help!! What thinner will help dry this faster?  Or do I need to paint in front of a hair dryer?

From my trial and error and all the advice on here I’m still struggling with this stuff also. what seems to work best is thin as little as possible and do super light coats and let dry between. ends up taking forever to paint a body like this is the biggest problem. even when I was a dumb kid using testors racing finish lacquers I didn’t have this much trouble.
  • Tim Neja likes this
Mark Haas

#41 Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 05:58 PM

I painted this when I was a kid over 20 years ago. doubt Id be able to get same results with the createx.
0F932CEB-0669-48DF-85E7-0F9E4FD0A263.jpeg
Mark Haas

#42 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 09:19 PM

Do it!  Once you get the feel for thinning Createx, you'll wonder why you waited so long.  I have discovered that different color of Createx require different amounts of thinner to get the correct consistency.  (I aim to get it to about the consistency of skim milk.)

Createx 4011 Reducer is the "go-to" reducer/thinner for their Airbrush Colors and their Wicked Colors.  They recommend starting with about 10% Reducer to 90% Paint ... however ... I've found that I have the best results using a little more Reducer.  https://createxcolor...s/reducers/4011

To help with drying time ... start out with VERY light coats.  Many light coats will produce much better results than just blasting away like you would with a rattle can.  My first coat barely "fogs" the body ... which allows it to dry quickly.  I typically use a hair dryer on a Cool setting to speed things along.  Especially if I don't know how a particular body is going to react to heat.

I painted this when I was a kid over 20 years ago. doubt Id be able to get same results with the createx.
attachicon.gif 0F932CEB-0669-48DF-85E7-0F9E4FD0A263.jpeg

Yes ... You can.  

I don't have the skill to do this ... but the work that this guy does on Kitchen-Aid mixers is amazing..

348925167_271470998680441_8454219475010241349_n.jpeg

As is the work that guys are doing on R/C bodies

350130932_247838044498077_8934355676969692462_n.jpeg

If they can do it ... you can do it!

• Tim Neja and Mad Mark like this

Rollin Isbell

#43 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 02:50 PM

I do have the 4011 thinner---  what is best to use to CLEAN the airbrush when I'm done?  Still use lacquer thinner?  

MAN--I'd really like to go back to lacquer paints--but their impossible to get in Calif anymore!

• Wizard Of Iz likes this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#44 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 04:56 PM

I do have the 4011 thinner---  what is best to use to CLEAN the airbrush when I'm done?  Still use lacquer thinner?  

MAN--I'd really like to go back to lacquer paints--but their impossible to get in Calif anymore!

Createx 5618 Airbrush Cleaner works really good.  And before I switch from any other color to white ... I just tear down my Paasche and thoroughly rinse it with water.  Then, I run a pipe cleaner through the brush just to make sure I got everything.  There's nothing more frustrating to me than to start spraying white only to find that there was a little blue hiding somewhere in the brush.

5618-02-Airbrush-Cleaner-2oz.jpeg

They also offer #4008 Airbrush Restorer.  It's designed to clean out any dried paint that stayed in the airbrush too long.  I've only had to use it once or twice .... and was glad I had it on hand.

4008-04-Restorer-4oz.jpeg

• Tim Neja and NSwanberg like this

Rollin Isbell

#45 Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 12 July 2023 - 08:40 PM

This came out pretty good. i messed up making orange and put too much red and didnt want to waste paint oh well. Lettering enamel airbrushed.
300969D2-7424-4D45-9C85-E8D6C4FC1DB1.jpeg
  • Wizard Of Iz, Tim Neja, Fergy and 2 others like this
Mark Haas

#46 Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 14 July 2023 - 08:40 PM

Another one from today. vintage body this time with some alclad I havent used in 20 years. came out pretty nice! Think Im getting down the ratio of reducer to paint. or its just the warm weather making it easier.
C666657D-8C23-4C82-9805-9325572F16A6.jpeg
Mark Haas

#47 Mark Onofri

Mark Onofri

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 11:03 PM

You should get in over your head more often. Nice choice of, and, Ballance of colours.
Personally, I hate acrylics. But, the colour choices are seemingly endless. Imagine if women were into slot cars as much as us. Ahhh, I can see it now. Slot Car Lobby. Row upon row of slot car parts! Maybe I shouldn't have had that last beer.

#48 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,418 posts

Posted 17 July 2023 - 08:12 AM

Mark O., Alclad is not an acrylic. It was originally a British solvent-based paint. It might still be.

• Fergy likes this
Bill Fernald

#49 Brian Czeiner

Brian Czeiner

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 July 2023 - 10:08 AM

You should get in over your head more often.

Agreed. Getting in over your head is how you push your limits and skills.

• olescratch and Eddie Fleming like this

If it's not a Caveman, It's HISTORY!          Support Your local raceways!

cavemanbodeez@gmail.com         CavemanBodeez.com      Womp Mafia

#50 Mark Onofri

Mark Onofri

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 10:01 AM

Billnh, I wasn't referring to the alclad. I'll try to be clearer next time. Fww,it's laqour.
The Kitchen Aid mixer is over the top. I ate a bag of Chips Ahoy after I saw it. Almost made me want to quit slot cars and take up baking as a hobby.
Yah, right 😆
  • Wizard Of Iz and NSwanberg like this

Electric Dreams Online Shop