105 replies to this topic

#26 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Jersey John

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:07 AM

IMHO JK Spec will always be needed. Retro will (and is) suffering some attrition and new blood is needed to replace what we lose. Remember this is all just early thinking. The reason I put JK Spec last was to give travel time to those who don't race that class. JK Spec seems to be the smallest of the four.

In my eyes it also honors the man (Jerry Kulich) who does a tremendous amount for our sport!!!

John Chas Molnar

"Certified Newark Wise Guy since 1984" (retired)
"Certified Tony P Chassis God 2007.2023
" Owner / Sponsor, TEAM JERSEY-TEAM AUSTRALIA 

Jerseyjohnchassis.com

Logo copy.jpg

#27 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,051 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:08 AM

John, there has been mention about taking a vote on whether or not to allow you back in Ohio.

Screw that vote, Pappy. I would be honored to have John as a traveling partner. ;) :laugh2: :laugh2:

John can come to my place and I'll bring him over in my motorhome. I guess I need to get "souping" that baby up for the rental car challenge. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

#28 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Jersey John

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:27 AM

LOL. Thanks, Ron.

It was great getting the chance to meet you. You are a gentleman, Ron, who races with a lot of class. I was talking with Kisling about you yesterday at practice for our final race. I was running my F1 and Noose and TP wanted to know the motor because it was a jet. It was a Fast One LOL.

It was a thrill to race with all of the top guns in our Can-Am race. I appreciate the respect. Thanks much...

See you soon...

John Chas Molnar

Jerseyjohnchassis.com

Logo copy.jpg

#29 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,844 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:36 AM

Mike Swiss chose to not let the hot shoes enter.

Rob PULEEZE, Kevin Van Pelt is one of the top Eurosport racers in the country and he was in JK Spec.

Show me rookie standing, LMAO... Just to mention one.

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#30 MantaRay

MantaRay

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:37 AM

As I recall... At Sano II, after the JK Spec race, Mike then ran a "Warm-up" for the top tier drivers. I do not think he limited it to JK Spec cars. It did give those not familiar with the flat track a little trigger time. I do not think these results were posted. Hopefully Mike will chime in.

BTW, It's the only time I will ever be able to say that I finished higher than Howie. :)
Ray Price
11/4/49-1/23/15
Requiescat in Pace

#31 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:56 AM

I may have a hard time getting to attend based on the way this schedule is. Would need to take off at least three days from work and then that means spending five days in Columbus. That would be on the bit expensive side IMO.

JK Spec is a class that has developed in OH and not too much elsewhere. If anything, leave that for Thursday if it is to be run. The others are fine as single day events based on the entries.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#32 Tom Thumb Hobbies

Tom Thumb Hobbies

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,609 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:35 AM

Actually five days in Columbus would do you some good. :laugh2: :laugh2: Might make you a kinder, gentler tech Nazi. :laugh2:

Seriously your comments and all the others are much appreciated and will be considered when I make the decisions about format and scheduling.

Thanks, everyone!

Mike McMasters
TTlogo300.jpg

Former home of the ORIGINAL American blue King

#33 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:39 AM

I just want to say thanks, Mike, for giving us lots of time to plan ahead. I'm not independently wealthy, so it's nice to be able to start saving pennies in the cookie jar early on...

Not to mention, some of us build real s-l-o-w... :music:

We don't want a kind, gentle tech nazi, we want unadulterated Noose.

Personally, I would like Sunday to be Spec day, so I can make that my "travel home" day.

I like Hershman's idea of vintage NASCAR race (so I can nerf two lanes across at same time). :laugh2:

I agree with Brian, you make the rules and schedule, we will build cars and come to the party.

Paul Wolcott

#34 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:00 AM

I would drop GTC. It's a Can-Am car with a coupe body. If you do that, I might even be inclined to build an F1!

Two classes is my limit, I just can't afford to keep more than two cars running at any one time. And the way the economy is going, that might be down to zero cars here real shortly :angry: .

I am not a doctor, but I played one as a child with the girl next door.

#35 Rob Voska

Rob Voska

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:06 AM

Most of you guys are barely tolerable for a few days :wacko2: :ireful3: ... but four-five days... I mean, I'm sure some of you might even get tired of someone as congenial as ME :yu: in that amount of time. :laugh2:

Besides... overall event cost (motel, food, etc.) becomes a factor sooner or later for everyone.

Could you imagine how long qualifing alone would have taken this year?

#36 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:19 AM

I was talking with Kisling about you yesterday at practice for our final race.

No wonder why my ears were "burning" yesterday. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

#37 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:30 AM

Ron, you should consider 24/7 armed security for next year's event. Myself, my chihuahua, and pit bull can get the job done, but we don't work cheap... :laugh2:

I concur with Patterson. ;)

Paul Wolcott

#38 Windyracer

Windyracer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:37 PM

Hey Mike,

I totally agreee that you should hold only one event per day. I think Spec (beginners only) should be on Thursday, GTC on Friday, F1 on Saturday, and the premier event (Can-Am) on Sunday.

I would not be heartbroken if GTC was eliminated. Then it could remain a three-day event.

Just my two cents.

Cheers, Ken B)

Ken Swanson

Team BOW
JK Products
Chicagoland Raceway
ISRA USA Great Lakes Region

#39 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Jersey John

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:39 AM

No wonder why my ears were "burning" yesterday.

LOL, only good things, Ron!!!

John Chas Molnar

Jerseyjohnchassis.com

Logo copy.jpg

#40 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:49 AM

In today's economy I'd run GT Coupe on Friday night, F1 on Saturday, and Can-am on Sunday.

The people who do not want to run the hand-out motors can get in Saturday morning and have plenty of practice time as there is a a single class and it can start later. Saves a night in the hotel.

Sunday with the single class you can leave after the race. A guy could come in on Saturday morning have a single hotel night get a lot of practice and race the two premier classes.

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#41 Ralph Thorne

Ralph Thorne

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:18 AM

Hey, Mike. Whatever format you choose, I'll be there.

#42 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:43 AM

Now that's the right attitude. ;)

#43 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Jersey John

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:04 AM

If You Race, they will come.......... Im In, the host makes the call.......... B)

John Chas Molnar

Jerseyjohnchassis.com

Logo copy.jpg

#44 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,844 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:06 AM

Let's not allow this to die so quickly. If I were King this is what I would do for R4/3:

Open at 7 am Friday, Saturday, Sunday and stay open until midnight Friday and Saturday.

Have GTC on Friday at 2pm. Limit entries to 40 racers and run 4 (10) man semis and then a single Feature with winners and top 4 lap totals or whatever, filling the field.

Saturday would be CanAM and Sunday F1's, same as done in the past, X amount of Semis and a Feature. This years CanAm system was the fairest system I have ever witnessed in our hobby. And being that the First semi was so loaded, it didn't short change the rest of the field.

Scratch plates for all podium winners in each Semi with Grande Awards for Feature Podium Winners.

Drop JK Spec from program and leave it to regional series racing.............Haf baked??? LOL

This makes it a two day stayover allowing flights to be booked for return on sunday night and only one day vaca used up for travelers.

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products

#45 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,844 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:30 PM

I already got my first reply that Mike would lose money with this idea. Contrare! On the partial days and with some hours left in those days for practice and testing, Mike could charge a $5(reduced from Thursday Regular PP Price) Pit Pass, and make MOREEEEEEEEEEEE money than a 24 entry race would generate..............

We'll be there regaurdless of how many days and format Mike uses. We are in for a penny and a pound.

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products

#46 Tom Thumb Hobbies

Tom Thumb Hobbies

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,609 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:14 AM

I already got my first reply that Mike would lose money with this idea. Contrare! On the partial days and with some hours left in those days for practice and testing, Mike could charge a $5(reduced from Thursday Regular PP Price) Pit Pass, and make MOREEEEEEEEEEEE money than a 24 entry race would generate..............

We'll be there regaurdless of how many days and format Mike uses. We are in for a penny and a pound.

Believe it or not.....I am NOT driven by money. If I was would I be a track owner :laugh2: These are all good ideas. I think the final system will include ideas from several racers. Sure, I want the weekend to "pay it's own way" but more importantly I want it to be enjoyable for as many as possible. The revenue stream is the LAST thing I look at. It's gotta be there but it is not as important as fairness and fun. If the best solution is not a money magnet it is still the best solution. I am also a racer (when I can) and I try and to look at the program as both a racer and promoter. Either way if it's not fun for you it isn't fun for me either.

Mike McMasters
TTlogo300.jpg

#47 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Jersey John

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:08 AM

MIKE , GIVEN YOUR LONG STANDING AS AN OWNER/ RACER, WHATEVER YOU DECIDE "IS WHAT IT IS" LOL :good:
After all the guy thats left with the mess gets to write the rules :big_boss:

John Chas Molnar

Jerseyjohnchassis.com

Logo copy.jpg

#48 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:57 PM

Believe it or not.....I am NOT driven by money. If I was would I be a track owner :laugh2: These are all good ideas. I think the final system will include ideas from several racers. Sure, I want the weekend to "pay it's own way" but more importantly I want it to be enjoyable for as many as possible. The revenue stream is the LAST thing I look at. It's gotta be there but it is not as important as fairness and fun. If the best solution is not a money magnet it is still the best solution. I am also a racer (when I can) and I try and to look at the program as both a racer and promoter. Either way if it's not fun for you it isn't fun for me either.

Wow. Very wise. Well thought out and expressed equally well. It's not often we see someone who sees both sides of the coin(no pun intended). I hope I get to race at your track someday.
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#49 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,844 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:29 PM

And next year Mike, we insist that you also race in the event. There are plenty there to help where you need help to get that part done. It's just not right to have a top A Main racer not entered in the race.............

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products

#50 Tom Thumb Hobbies

Tom Thumb Hobbies

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,609 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:29 PM

Wow. Very wise. Well thought out and expressed equally well. It's not often we see someone who sees both sides of the coin(no pun intended). I hope I get to race at your track someday.

I hope you can too. I had heard rumors that some Texas hombres were coming to the R4/2 and was disappointed when none showed. Totally understandable with the distance and the "great" economy we are enjoying. :D All we can do is wish for better conditions next year.

Mike McMasters
TTlogo300.jpg

Electric Dreams Online Shop