Thank you Tom.

Marinko Mueller

#302 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

I believe Anna was Ron's Mom;s name. Nephew would have been Don Brown? Dwayne "Butch" Bishop really helped Ron get "Speed and Sport" going early on. Matt Azarra raced and worked there, heck of a good guy. Bill Marquette. WOW! That guy was so cool to be around. Never, ever a dull moment with Bill in the house. You and me enjoyed some pretty good times there racing around. Trying to remember; walking in, that big track on the left was maybe a Engleman? Huge thing. Tore out the figure 8 and started the Riverside on the north side. Where did the King come from? Don's Raceway? Also remember when S&S was getting noticed by some touring fast guys, Pete Zimmerman showed up to test some motors and cars. He hooked up next to me and we started running around the track and I kept pulling him in the straights. He stopped his car in front of us and really wanted to look at my car. When saw a Thorp arm was getting the best of him, he about freaked out. He muttered something about hotter winds and just stood there. At the time, I had no idea who he was untill we started talking. Won't forget that moment. More to come.

• miko likes this
Tom Eatherly

#303 Roy Lievanos

Roy Lievanos

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:11 PM

Been meaning to post this for a while.
My local track as a kid was Santa Ana Raceways. John Hale and Dee. I went to Jr. High (across the street) with their two sons Chris and Steve.
At 12 my mother arranged a small tab so I could race and buy stuff.
I remember racing an Indy race with a loaned chassis I beleive by Larry? and my new just released motor that they had to call my mother because it was over my tab max.
It was an adult race but I was allowed to race. With the help turn of a turn marshals placing my car up the track when I came off I won the race. A few were unhappy but remember someone saying "he's just a kid". As a result the chassis was given to me. I beleive I still have the trophy.
At 13 John asked my Mother if he could take me to a big race at a track in Buena Park.
When I met at the track to leave Dee handed me a shirt with Santa Ana raceways on the back. My first team at 13 yrs.
Unfortunately during practice the car got ruined in the bank. And we left early.
I still live a mile from where the track was located.
I can go on with all the local tracks during that era.
Within a mile from the house was the track, Cox manufacturing and Dan Gurneys All American Racers.
  • miko, Mattb and Tim Wilkins like this
2017 Western States " Retro Hawk F class " Champion
2017 USRA Div 1 Nats " F class " Champion
Thank you John and Dee Hale -Santa Ana Raceway circa 1968

#304 elvis44102

elvis44102

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:03 PM

The Slot Shop on Winkles St in Elyria, Ohio around 1967... Donna Hubble is mentioned frequently as an example of a great track owner, however Paul did his part as well by running several weekly races and taking a whole truckload of us to the regional Cleveland races as they started that series

i raced with Jan Limpach, Buddy Bartos, Jim Bandes, who are all known to this forum but there were other fast racers (Gary Brewer, Lanny Pyle).

Gary "High Noon" Cooper was out of Parma but Gary would come to The Slot Shop and practice with different cars trying to "take" our bumps full speed. The track was a six-lane built by Paul with 3-4 4-5 inch high bumps, esses, and a negative camber turn... very difficult and Paul removed the bumps finally because only us locals could drive them  .

This was all before The Slot Shop moved to the ClevelandSst location a whole two blocks away from the current site of Haven Raceway.

John Wisneski

#305 blue&orange

blue&orange

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:17 PM

First track was one of those mega shops that opened in Willow Grove, PA.  My friend and I (in jr. high) would ride our bikes holding our shoe boxes for about 1/2 an hour.  One day I got on the school bus and he said, "Did you hear about the fire last night."  Nobody ever proved arson that I know of, but ....

In sr. high years it was Fun Time Hobbies in Glenside, PA.  Anybody else ever race there? I can find no info or pics. I remember one night when my cars were slow and a guy offered to sell me 3 armatures, so we went across the street and I exchanged cash for three little tubes out of his trunk.  Lucky no cops were around!

Chris Matthy

#306 Ron Guthrie

Ron Guthrie

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:36 AM

First track was in Temple City California mid 60's. Then early 90's Fast Trap Raceway Barrie Ontario Canada. When the track closed due to poor management it went into storage for over 20 years. Last October my son found it. We are now restoring it. A 155' Olgilvie hill climb and the 55' drag strip. Also working on plans for 1or 2 other tracks. Hoping for an opening this summer in Barrie Ontario.

• MSwiss, Samiam and jokar124 like this

#307 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

Hope springs eternal ...

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg