Posted Image

Cool track . . . :up:

Bob McCurdy
3/2/54-10/22/12
Requiescat in Pace

#27 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:51 PM

The first commercial track I drove on was a Mr. Raceways LeMans, located in Brunswick, ME, during the fall of 1967. SARN showed a photo of this layout a couple years back. Mr. Raceways installed polarity switches at every driving station on their tracks. These made for some fun times if you changed them before the next driver started on the lane from which you just came off. :) Of course you never needed to care if your car was wired correctly either. :crazy:

#28 Maximo

Maximo

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:41 PM

Do any of these INDY 300 tracks still exist anywhere? I brought this track up earlier in a different thread here about commercial tracks and I want to find and buy one of these or have it "remade" by one of the current track builders. Also a Purple Mile . . . I want to open a "track museum" here in the US sometime in the next two years with maybe TEN tracks or more and without the reliance on the tracks to survive . . .

More plans to come later . . .

This is the track I want for start that dream with!

Posted Image

This is another Mr. Raceways track

Posted Image

- Max

David Ray Siller

MAXImum MOtion

Retired Video Game Creator/Designer/Producer
Thingies are my thingy!

#29 johnford

johnford

Mid-Pack Racer

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:48 PM

You forgot the 220', or was it 240'?, American Emperor tracks . . . rumored that only three were built. One at Buzzy's, one in Colorado, and the third one to Europe.

You are right . . . I did forget that one, and I think it was still only a scale mile (220 ft). It is the only one of the original American Tracks that I never duplicated in modern construction format. I had the computer plans for it done up, but no one ever ordered one, and I couldn't afford to build on spec. The information I had (later proved wrong) was that only one was built and it was in France BUT . . . if Buzzy had one, I would like to know. Anyone with a pic . . . please for my scrapbook.

I raced all over Colorado and never heard of one there, but there was a large 300+ ft. Engleman built track at the Disney-owned bowling alley in Denver . . . AND outside Denver, possibly the same one is in storage but set up at a museum of strange things..... At least it was about 20 years ago. They had neat stuff like . . . Spoolies. And if you remember them, you are really old and your mom most likely used them. Thanks for the reminder on the Emperior I never built . . .

John Ford
3/11/44-11/20/20
Requiescat in Pace

#30 johnford

johnford

Mid-Pack Racer

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:08 PM

John, does your nine confirmed Purple Miles include the one owned by Dick Cafarelli of Modelville Hobby in Framingham, MA? I raced on it between 1969-1975 and it was there before and after those dates. It was sold to someone in RI when Modelville closed in 1977 or '78. :)

There may well have been many more than nine built, but I got a spattering of sales records and construction orders from AMF in 1977. I tried to make some sense out of all the stuff I got, but was not as informed as I am now. A lot of information went into the trash, never knowing I would ever want it. After all, no one wanted tracks either.

For the most part, back then, no one even knew slot racing was still around. I bought up about a dozen old tracks and old merchandise that came with them, then started re-building them and selling them when I could find someone with interest. I bought and sold the same American Imperial five times from New Mexico to Mississippi. It was a great time, and I was oblivious to the fact that no one really cared about slot racing. I did and that was all that mattered.

I had developed a screen printing system which made me some money (Iron Ons) and eventually sold my Custom Imprints Screen Printing company and the four related shopping mall retail outlets to a company called Texas T-Shirts. I settled in on a 3,000 sq. ft. building on Beach Street in Fort Worth (actually Haltom City) and started working from there with the slot racing stuff I had been collecting.

For you collectors, I have to admit that I threw away and took to the scrap yards a ton of stuff. (Nobody wanted it . . . remember). For an example, I took a truck load of stuff one time and got $67 for the magnesium alone, several hundred for the brass, and over $600 in all for the load of brass, aluminum, and steel . . . That was at 1978 prices. Who knew! Sorry! :roll:

It wasn't until I met Linda that the idea for a magazine came about. She was a copy editor for Hart Hanks Publishing in Dallas and we used the same camera equipment left from the screen printing company to make our first negatives for the pages of the first issue. She saw little chance for a successful "New" American Tracks company without a place to advertise. We sent out the first issue to only some 30+ raceways we could find still in operation . . . and the rest, is history. I've really enjoyed the ride . . .

John Ford
3/11/44-11/20/20
Requiescat in Pace

#31 endbelldrive

endbelldrive

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:51 PM

There was an American Sovereign up and running in Toronto (Yonge and Lawrence) back in 1980. I don't know what happened to the track or if it's still around in some shape or form. :?
Bob Suzuki
8/19/54-8/?/21
Requiescat in Pace

#32 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:42 AM

Larry, I never made any of those races. I was supposed to go with Peter a couple of times but never managed to get it together.

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#33 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:57 AM

Hi John,

Then you should remember the oddball track running in Denver in the late '70s and early '80s at "Jimbos". Supposedly a 225 with brass RAIL for contacts and the worst power I ever contended with.

Jim Benton's brother-in-law had a bunch of tracks in storage in the basement, including racks of parts and cars from Disney. He let me do some minor mining for restoring some of my old cars for fun. Bill Price was racing there and was later a national champ. His dad got excited with MY oldies and started hitting the basement to resore HIS oldies. Initially, the kid was obsessed with winning and hated that his dad was wasting time on these. But after a bit, he started getting into it. My playing with my old AMTs and Russkit Rattlers got the whole track starting a 1/32 based "Womp" class.

Sorry, I digressed.

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#34 mjsh

mjsh

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:13 PM

National champ at what?
Michael Shepard

#35 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:59 PM

If I remember correctly . . . Bill Price was the USRA National Champ in the International 15 class. Either very late 1970s or very early 1980s.

#36 johnford

johnford

Mid-Pack Racer

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:59 PM

Then you should remember the oddball track running inDenver in the late 70s and early 80s at "Jimbos". Supposedly 225 foot with brass RAIL for contacts and the worst power I ever contended with.

I do remember that track and raced on it many times while I had my raceways in Amarillo and Lubbock. It was huge and made out of masonite with "wonderful" ripples at various spots, depending on the humidity in the building. It was there that I bought most of my merchandise and could write off the trip as a business expense . . .

Our paths may have crossed long before San Antonio. I also remember that monolith at the bowling alley where the track didn't fit the building and Stan Engleman had to redesign it on the fly the track to split and go around a pole, four lanes on one side and four lanes on the other. It was there while he was building, or modifying that track that I met him the first time . . .

John Ford
3/11/44-11/20/20
Requiescat in Pace

#37 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:11 AM

Hi

Yup, we did meet. You were hawking the new mag to Jim, and I was just one of the local experts standing silent while you talked!

I may have even suggested I thought a mag would never work. Grin.

Later when I argued with you at Honeycutts, I mentioned we had met. But being a famous magazine type, you were used to that! Actually, part of the argument involved your Kawie triple and my love of the Norton Commando.

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#38 johnford

johnford

Mid-Pack Racer

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:27 AM

I am not sure I was a famous magazine type back then . . . not too sure now!
I will say that of all the people I have met over the years, you stick out . . . and Honeycutt, too!
Sort of like hitting your thumb with a hammer. :lol: . . .

John Ford
3/11/44-11/20/20
Requiescat in Pace

#39 Rob968323

Rob968323

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:56 AM

Anyone have pics of the Purple Mile? Are there any up and running these days?

Rob Kurylo

"Capital Idea"

#40 Maximo

Maximo

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:42 AM

Your wish is my command . . .

Posted Image

- Maximo

And also . . .

Posted Image

David Ray Siller

MAXImum MOtion

Thingies are my thingy!

#41 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,548 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:10 AM

Rob, to the best of my knowledge, there is not an original AMR Sovereign 220 in operation anywhere in the world and that's a real shame.

Anyone know anything different?

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#42 Rob968323

Rob968323

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:16 PM

WOW . . . that's an amazing track!!

Rob Kurylo

"Capital Idea"

#43 johnford

johnford

Mid-Pack Racer

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:24 PM

Maximo, that looks like a scan from an original American brochure. Got more pics of their line of tracks? . . .

John Ford
3/11/44-11/20/20
Requiescat in Pace

#44 alanb

alanb

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:41 PM

Posted Image

This is likely not the largest track still in existence but it is probably the largest oval anywhere. Located in a small hamlet called Hildebran, NC. It measures 244 feet.

I have not been there in a while but I suspect its still around as it was run more like a club rather than a money-making venture. This photo was taken before the track was completely rebuilt a few years ago, but it still has the same footprint. They ran only hardbody cars with spec scratchbuilt chassis, much like a Champion jailhouse, keeping the format that was used by a similar track in that area back in the '60s.
If you go looking for it, note that there are two slot car tracks in Hildebran; this one in the basement of a closed hosiery mill behind the fire station.

I can confirm there is a newer track in the same location as this one was. The new track was built by one of the owners, Terry Throneburg. It is now operated as a business under the name Tri-County Hobby Center. The new track was built in the fall of 2005. We still run those scratchbuilt frames and hardbodies as described earlier in the thread. I'll take a few pics later this week and post a couple of the new track. The original owner mentioned earlier, Don Duckett, built some 1/12 scale cars using scratchbuilt frames and 1/12 scale Lexan R/C car bodies. Those things are pretty popular, too. We race those big cars on Tuesday nights and NASCAR trucks and cars on Friday night.
Alan Bumgarner

#45 Maximo

Maximo

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:57 PM

John,

Yes, I have more pictures from a brochure, which ones do you need? Please let me know as I love these tracks and sharing with everyone is what this is all about!

- Maximo

David Ray Siller

MAXImum MOtion

Thingies are my thingy!

#46 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,844 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:56 PM

I raced on a Purple Mile for a few days in 1990. It was the worst road course I had ever encountered. If you geared the car for the long straight, it was too soft in the back half; if you geared for the back half the car was peaked a section and a half before the bank. There is a reason why these old tracks do not exist today and it's because they sucked to race on. Grandiose to look at but fall short for a racetrack.

Just my opinion, as a racing point of view . . .

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#47 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:10 AM

Also a hell of a long walk to put your can back on.

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#48 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,068 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:50 AM

Back in the '60s, Don's Hobby Shop in Cincinnati put in a track that (I heard) was 350' around it. I saw it when it was under construction but never ran it. It didn't last long for the same reason Tony mentioned.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#49 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:54 AM

Also a hell of a long walk to put your can back on.

It was along walk when we were 16 years old . . . LOL . . . it would be journey at today's age. :lol:

#50 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,068 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:42 AM

The best way to do that is to have about six cars at your drivers station. Then you only have to make the journey once every six times you fall off. :mrgreen:

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

Electric Dreams Online Shop