55 replies to this topic

#51 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:12 AM

Excellent idea, or better yet, each drivers station has a Segway . . .
  • Gator Bob likes this

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#52 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:13 AM

On those big tracks you learn fast to carry your car back with you to the drivers stand and to put it back on there when you deslot.

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#53 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,548 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:16 AM

I love Purple Miles!

Yea, they were a bitch to marshall due to the number of bodies needed, and yes, there was often a long walk to retrieve a deslotted car, but hey, it made you a better driver (just like never learning to roll upright made me a better kayaker!).

And Rick, gearing was always an issue on a Sovereign. The smart guys geared for the backside, not the straight, because the car spent more time per lap on the backside and it was better to be faster there.

I can tell you this: in a franchise AMR raceway with more than one track, people tended only to run on the Purple Mile; it was easily the track of preference.

While the factors you guys mention probably were involved, it's the square footage of a Purple Mile's footprint that was the real problem. Not many could afford the cost of that much space for long; the track wouldn't generate enough income to pay for the cost of housing it.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#54 johnford

johnford

Mid-Pack Racer

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:49 AM

Ahhh, the square footage they took up. The very reason my good friend "Doc" Gibbs of Odessa Grand Prix still has a pristine, original American Purple Mile in storage in Odessa, TX . . . If he ever finds space to put it, I will be first in line . . .

John Ford
3/11/44-11/20/20
Requiescat in Pace

#55 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:03 AM

They weren't any fun to glue either. If just practicing, I'd alway choose my lane then tell the trackowner to hold my power until I was ready. Otherwise I'd get twelve minutes of gluing and three minutes of running. :lol:

#56 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:22 AM

Hi,

The only purple mile I have run on was the one in Atlanta and it is how Greg and I met.

My late friend Tom Moye was supposed to meet me there on a layover, but didn't show, fell ill.

I have done several of the 220 Englman tracks, and of course longer, but only the one Purple.

And Rick, smart racers on ANY track always gear for the "back" of the track, not the straight. Gearing wrong for the straight doesn't make you fall off, gearing wrong for the twisties does.

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

Electric Dreams Online Shop