115 replies to this topic

#1 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:12 PM

Not that we have our first race on our new flat track under our belt, Chicagoland Raceway is proud to announce the first "Sano Shootout" with a tenative date of October 12-14, 2007.
It will be a combination of at least 3-4 Can-Am, GT, and F1 races on C/R's King and the new flat track (probably in both its configurations, with or without esses).
Whoever has the lowest aggregate placing will be declared "The Most Wickedly, Sano Cat on the Planet".

While I know the competition will be fierce, I hoping this equally will be a social event.
I'll will try to plan the schedule to include a BBQ at my house on Sunday night.
It's 20 minutes from the track and probably 10 minutes from the preferred motels guys will be staying at.
My fiancee's seven-passenger mini-van and a driver will be available in case the East Coast Guys show up. :lol:

Please use this thread for any rules suggestions and also thoughts on the date. While I could go earlier in October, later is not possible as that part of Racetober is booked with events in conjunction with the iHobby Show the weekend of the 19th and the Chicago 500 wing car race the weekend of the 27th.

Also, considering all the new FK style motors just coming out, let's leave motor talk out of this until at least August 15th, when hopefully we will have had more time to digest all of the new offerings.

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#2 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,224 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:12 PM

YEEEEHAAAA!!!!

I'm SO there! Gotta start working on my CFO, though. Mid-October works great for me as I can't get free until after mid-September. Gotta get the iron going! Thanks, Mike!
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#3 da cat

da cat

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:22 PM

Will you be running East Coast Div 3 rules? What time do you think you will start the racing? What are your weekly hours? Very interested.

Felix Glorioso.
Racing & building slot cars since the '60s ... finally got halfway good at it - Felix Glorios

#4 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:36 AM

Hand-out motors would be a good idea for an event of this magnitude, IMO.

Other than that, and perhaps the issue of legal bodies and a weight limit, there's so little difference in the rules from one group to the next that everyone should be happy.

Personally, I would like to see no minimum weight limit.
Dennis Samson
--------------------------
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#5 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:44 AM

Because of the unfortunate drift between East and West D3 rules, hand-out motors could be the way to equalize chances to all.
F1 chassis/body rules are also different (width), the west running narrower cars. :mellow:

Philippe de Lespinay

#6 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:17 PM

Because of the unfortunate drift between East and West D3 rules, hand-out motors could be the way to equalize chances to all.
F1 chassis/body rules are also different (width), the west running narrower cars. :mellow:

Handout motors: yes!!!!

Chassis width difference???? Sounds like one group will be building new chassis. After all, it's scratchbuilding, right??? ;) :lol:

#7 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:30 PM

Let everyone run the rules they run at home. Let the best format prevail. It is suppose to be for fun right? I'd hate to see it get like "Pro" racing... Maybe then after the race the best ideas could be put together for a national set of rules...

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#8 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:35 PM

I am liking this suggestion...

#9 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,170 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:37 PM

I agree with Tony. Essentially the rules are the same for Can-Am and F1 with some minor differences. So, let's do it with each area running their rules and use this as the platform to formulate one set.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#10 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:42 PM

Will you be running East Coast Div 3 rules? What time do you think you will start the racing? What are your weekly hours? Very interested.

Monday-Friday 10 AM-9 PM
Saturday-10 AM-till the last guy unhooks his controller(usually about 10:30-11:00 PM)
Sunday-call 708-203-8003
The above is my cell # and it's always good to call during the week as I may be dropping off mail orders
at the P.O. or grabbing a quick sandwich.

Mike Swiss

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#11 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:43 PM

I like that idea too and am going to do my best to make it to the race. Uhhhhh Hershman, can I ride with you? :D

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#12 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:00 PM

Let everyone run the rules they run at home. Let the best format prevail. It is suppose to be for fun right? I'd hate to see it get like "Pro" racing... Maybe then after the race the best ideas could be put together for a national set of rules...

Our vintage rules are way different but we will be running a more true D3 in the near future now that I'm winding down on track construction (I'll get some updated photo's up soon).

What I need now is racers confirming the date is fine and that barring disaster, they will be here.
There's no point in making "compromise" rules if one of the coasts will not have at least 3-4 racers showing.
There appears to be 3-4 semi-major differences in the rules. If both coasts are well represented, I might flip a coin while there are a lot of witnesses here during Saturday night racing. The "winning" coast would get first pick of what
coast specific rule they would want. The "losing" coast would get second and third pick and the "winning" coast would then get the fourth pick.
The only coast-specific rule I would abolish is if the East Coast is still not allowing the narrowing of tires.
I don't want to make guys have to buy or change to harder tires if track conditions tighten up.
The good news is that the flat track, like the King, seems to require very little spray and once broken in, stays stable.

Mike Swiss

#13 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:23 PM

I like that idea too and am going to do my best to make it to the race. Uhhhhh Hershman, can I ride with you? :D

Sounds like a plan, Butch.

October works for me.

#14 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:25 PM

Mike,

What if the date was the same weekend as the Hobby Show in Chicago??? That might work well for Tony P.

Is the Hobby Show in Chicago this year????

#15 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,224 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:26 PM

After a board meeting with my CFO (that is, drinking beer with my wife at our breakfast table), I will definitely be there. It is only unknown HOW I will get there. If my wife accompanies me, we will drive the 900+ miles to Chicago; if she doesn't come along, I'm flying.
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#16 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,170 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:31 PM

I have to check my schedule but I would love to be there. Maybe get my wife to make the trip, too. We were looking at a race here that weekend but it hasn't been firmly scheduled yet.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#17 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:05 PM

I don't want to make guys have to buy or change to harder tires if track conditions tighten up.

When you think of it, those old Riggen tires four decades ago were a lot narrower than todays tires. Last race at BPR, I had to slice them or I would begin to hop around the corners, yikes.
Mark Wampler
?/?/1950-3/8/22
Requiescat in Pace

#18 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:17 PM

Maybe get my wife to make the trip too.

Wives and significant others are encouraged to come. I'm 99% sure my fiancee, Jackie, will be available as a tour guide for shopping and/or culture. She's equally adept at both.

Mike Swiss

#19 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:23 PM

What if the date was the same weekend as the Hobby Show in Chicago??? That might work well for Tony P.

Is the Hobby Show in Chicago this year????

The iHobby Expo is the following weekend. I've already committed to hold events in conjunction with it. Also, I plan quite a few races for the "Sano" so I doubt Tony could run them all and still be of any value to Trinity at iHobby which is about 30 minutes away (unless Ernie lets him use the Trinity company copter :lol: ).

Mike Swiss

#20 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,539 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:19 AM

Jackie will be available as a tour guide for shopping and/or culture. She's equally adept at both.

Heck, Mike, what woman ISN'T adept at shopping? You surely didn't need to even mention that! <_<

Hmm, might have to make a drive North in October...

Mike, I've spent the day in Chicago on Thanksgiving and I can't say the weather was anything I'd want to experience again: 30 degrees with a 30-40 mph wind. Brrr...

But you're guaranteeing better weather for mid-October, right? :rolleyes:

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#21 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:32 AM

Hi Greg,

Indian Summer - guaranteed! I remember that from my Chicago days. Unless of course it's 35° with -10 wind chill factor, which could happen too - both in the same day sometime!

Don

#22 kkjva

kkjva

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:38 AM

Greg,

That's down right balmy for for us on a Thanksgiving Day, shorts and T-shirt weather in Deeetroit. :lol:

Karen and I were just talking about logistics for the October 12, 13, and 14th dates, if those dates hold. If so, it looks like we will be driving in on Friday night.

Be good,

kkjva

#23 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:38 AM

30 degrees with a 30-40 mph wind. Brrr...

30 degrees you say. :rolleyes: :lol: You can always tell a southern boy, but you can't tell him much. ;) I'm taking my shorts and undershorts of course. :D

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#24 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:41 AM

Keith,

Ron and I are planning a D3 race in November in Columbus, OH. Hope you can make it.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

2000 Jackasses

#25 kkjva

kkjva

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:45 AM

Butch,

I'm in Seattle November 9th through 13th, otherwise...

Be good

kkjva

Electric Dreams Online Shop